Cyle Larin

shermanator

4 minutes ago, eramosat said:

Larin is the best new CDN whipping boy...that's it.  Every other position has the youth fully infused, to tame the mob of newsters

Deciding that Larin is a sub-optimal choice to all the other possibilities, in a real match?  That's definitely debatable...not crazy...just debatable.  Larin scores in all sorts of situations, and no striker scores everything we want them to, by a loooooong shot.

I think there's time to figure out a newfront 2 dynamic.  For 2026.

So give Cyle a friggin' break!  The guy has been outstanding AND critically important!!  And recently!!!

Millar is another whipping boy on this site. Unfairly I would add

6 minutes ago, narduch said:

Millar is another whipping boy on this site. Unfairly I would add

Yes.  Whipping boys are eternal...yeah?  It's just par for the course of a passionate fanbase!

Millar, in MHO, was simply great-to-OK when he was available.  But I am not sure he hasn't been surpassed?  So, he deserves time discussing his place, but he may not be a guarantee.  The change in mid line heirarchy for the men's team has been swift and decisive...

Larin?  He should maybe get edged out....but it will take results to do so.  Tough,

Edited by eramosat

20 minutes ago, eramosat said:

Yes.  Whipping boys are eternal...yeah?  It's just par for the course of a passionate fanbase!

Millar, in MHO, was simply great-to-OK when he was available.  But I am not sure he hasn't been surpassed?  So, he deserves time discussing his place, but he may not be a guarantee.  The change in mid line heirarchy for the men's team has been swift and decisive...

Larin?  He should maybe get edged out....but it will take results to do so.  Tough,

With Larin, we'd like him to do quite a bit more for his club. You can't score just 3 in La Liga, but if you score 8-10 that is alright for what Canada needs. 

If Millar has the same kind of year as last, but performs for Canada, folks won't care too much.

Whoever it is, if the coach does not have a system that propitiates scoring, then it is on the coach.

Yeah dissapointing Larin didnt score more in  the league most of our other strikers wouldnt get minutes in.  Whats the scoreline for guys in La liga in recent times, Larin 10+ and anyone else.......anyone....anyone more than 1???  I would rather have a guy who is good enough to make a spanish team and has a tough season than a guy who scores a dozen in MLS.  Obviously David and Larin are on top, anyone else better be bagging a dozen in the championship or holland, belgium, portugal etc if not a top 5 league if they want to squeeze them out.  Not scoring enough in the top league in the world isnt really that much of a knock on Larin for me.

24 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Yeah dissapointing Larin didnt score more in  the league most of our other strikers wouldnt get minutes in.  Whats the scoreline for guys in La liga in recent times, Larin 10+ and anyone else.......anyone....anyone more than 1???  I would rather have a guy who is good enough to make a spanish team and has a tough season than a guy who scores a dozen in MLS.  Obviously David and Larin are on top, anyone else better be bagging a dozen in the championship or holland, belgium, portugal etc if not a top 5 league if they want to squeeze them out.  Not scoring enough in the top league in the world isnt really that much of a knock on Larin for me.

I do think it is a knock on him just because he is not doing what he was signed to do. They made a special effort to pay a transfer fee, his salary is amongst the highest on the team, so there is some expectation. Then the team, which was solid defensively last year, was just above relegation almost all year, and fortunately held on. After a year where they were pushing for a European spot. 

I think with the new signings, they should fight for mid table, but the strikers have to click. 

On 8/10/2024 at 9:33 PM, Shway said:

Strongly disagree. He's by far one of the forum favourites. Guys like to shy away from constructive criticism for the fear of backlash. 

I'm a fan but I agree 100%. Time with Liverpool helps, and having relations post on the board definitely changes tenor of the discussion.

2 hours ago, ahmedou said:

I miss Prime Larin Orlando. And I miss Prime Larin Real Valladolid.

Larin is a simple man, when he's wearing purple he's on his goat mode. 

Find him a team with purple color and he'll be back on his goat mode.

If only those Fiorentina rumours from a few years back had materialized….

On 7/27/2024 at 10:26 PM, Unnamed Trialist said:

Nice little fight in Mallorca's "friendly" vs. West Brom on Saturday, played on a pitch in England. The WBA mid tries to dribble, is fouled once, again, he goes after Samu Costa, head butts him, take a swing, the benches clear. Costa is a rough player, but I don't think his foul was the worst of the two. Mallorca won 1-0.

I know it is unrelated, with them selling out to see Mbappe's debut in La Liga in Mallorca later, but after this bust up in a Mallorca preseason friendly, the WBA player was given a 5 match ban on friendlies for WBA, which seems a lot, plus a hefty fine, 25,000 cdn. Quite surprised the FA would act so harshly for a friendly match punch up.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/articles/c9x8x71k0x7o

My he's playing well, defending deep and well, then countering effectively. Had a nice break that he sent to Mojica, who blew it, then got past Militao deep on the endline and centred in low for a chance. His freshness enabling him to play both ways. 

Larin does a lot more than just score goals, no question, he is a much more skilled passer, dribbler, positionally, than he was before.

edit: just was part of another counter down the left he cut back almost for a goal. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist