Cyle Larin

shermanator

26 minutes ago, P-O said:

I won't make friends but he has no speed, doesn't hold up play & doesn't stretch the defence.

We need to move on & play 3 CM to control the play versus bigger team.

He is still our top scorer.

He is but Larin at this point needs to be a super sub or he needs to be dropped by 2026

25 minutes ago, P-O said:

I won't make friends but he has no speed, doesn't hold up play & doesn't stretch the defence.

We need to move on & play 3 CM to control the play versus bigger team.

He is still our top scorer.

I don't know what version of Cyle Larin you've been watching this tournament, but he's been very good holding up the ball and (at times) has shown to be deceptively quick. There were a few times (can't recall which games) where one of our players had a burst of speed and I thought it was Davies or possibly Kone, but no to my surprise it was Larin. He's always had pretty good speed for a Tronco (as surely many view him as).

I will defend Larin here and say he's really helped the team, despite no goals (yet). I kept finding myself thinking the work he's doing at Mallorca in La Liga is paying off. Anyone else have that thought?

I don't think he had a great tournament, but he was good vs Argentina. His layoffs were good for once. It's too bad David had a bad game -- they never both had a good game at the same time in this tournament, and we needed everyone to be at their best to stand a chance.

He should still make our squads but to me he's not a penciled in starter. If you remove Larin from the XI you open up a world of possibilities. Not sure if any of them are the best choice, but it gives you options.

19 minutes ago, El Diego said:

I don't think he had a great tournament, but he was good vs Argentina. His layoffs were good for once. It's too bad David had a bad game -- they never both had a good game at the same time in this tournament, and we needed everyone to be at their best to stand a chance.

He should still make our squads but to me he's not a penciled in starter. If you remove Larin from the XI you open up a world of possibilities. Not sure if any of them are the best choice, but it gives you options.

If someone is breaking into the FW position it's at the expense of Larin, not David.

But I am waiting to see someone earn the spot over him. Tani looks to be a useful depth player, but I am not convinced he is better than Larin. I would like to see Bair get a chance, actually. Wouldn't mind seeing JRR either, but I am not confident starting either of them is the way to go, espeically after last match.

2 hours ago, Ivan said:

I thought Larin looked good last night.  However, he is there to score and he didn't. 

I thought he had a very good showing last night (significantly outplaying David), as well.  He moved the ball much more quickly and decisively, using flicks and layoffs first time and his turn and set up pass to Shaffelburg for his chance in the 4th minute was excellent.  When he is thinking about what to do after he gets possession is when things go awry.  However, last night I was very positive with what he showed.

1 minute ago, Floortom said:

I mean he did have a decent performance I guess but 1 goal in his last 14 games for Canada is pretty much indefensible. Some ok hold up play and layoffs doesnt make up for that. Until he gets hot at the club level and shows he's in scoring form he absolutely needs to take a seat going forward IMO

A reluctant agree from me because he has done more in Marsch's system than I thought he would.  But as you say...

Still think with all our forwards we need to make 3 midfielders work.

14 minutes ago, Floortom said:

I mean he did have a decent performance I guess but 1 goal in his last 14 games for Canada is pretty much indefensible. Some ok hold up play and layoffs doesnt make up for that. Until he gets hot at the club level and shows he's in scoring form he absolutely needs to take a seat going forward IMO

I don't disagree with your view.  I just felt that relative to what I saw in earlier matches, his play was definitely better in this last one.

55 minutes ago, Floortom said:

What about goal contributions? They are pretty important and he had a very timely one during the Peru match, our only regulation win during this whole summer stretch, by the way?

4 hours ago, Obinna said:

I don't know what version of Cyle Larin you've been watching this tournament, but he's been very good holding up the ball and (at times) has shown to be deceptively quick. There were a few times (can't recall which games) where one of our players had a burst of speed and I thought it was Davies or possibly Kone, but no to my surprise it was Larin. He's always had pretty good speed for a Tronco (as surely many view him as).

I will defend Larin here and say he's really helped the team, despite no goals (yet). I kept finding myself thinking the work he's doing at Mallorca in La Liga is paying off. Anyone else have that thought?

I spent the whole season watching him at Mallorca with precisely the same (depressing, no goals) thought.

9 hours ago, TOcanadafan said:

It'll be interesting to see how his time with the CMNT this summer shapes his upcoming season... hoping it'll motivate him to really work hard at club level to get his form up.   Last year he came into the season out of shape, and never really got things going. 

That is a good point.  He will essentially be hitting pre-season in game shape.  And like you said, that isn't a bad thing considering the disappointing way he approached things last year.

14 hours ago, Floortom said:

I can give you a long list of stars with 1 goal in their last 14 in open play.  Pretty much the theme of the Euros 

On 7/11/2024 at 9:23 AM, Ruud said:

I can give you a long list of stars with 1 goal in their last 14 in open play.  Pretty much the theme of the Euros 

I would be interested to see that long list of Euro star strikers with 1 goal in last 14 matches. Can you post them? Genuinely curious 

• 2 weeks later...

Nice little fight in Mallorca's "friendly" vs. West Brom on Saturday, played on a pitch in England. The WBA mid tries to dribble, is fouled once, again, he goes after Samu Costa, head butts him, take a swing, the benches clear. Costa is a rough player, but I don't think his foul was the worst of the two. Mallorca won 1-0.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't see he's back training yet, as they play their last of preseason friendly next Saturday at home.

They sold their excellent Serbian keeper Rajkovic for ten million to Al-Ittihad, going with their v good sub from Slovakia,  and have bought the Colombian fullback Mojica, nice addition.

Mallorca do a beautiful summer tradition which is an overnight run/ walk to the Lluc monastery up in the mountains, you start from wherever you are on the island and everyone converges, it's also a fundraiser.

It started at a bar in the Palma old quarter in the 70s, full distance is over 40 km, up to 50,000 participate. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

4 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

I obviously am not a pro athlete but it would take a heroic effort to get that much out of shape in 3 weeks. No?

It's probably more important to get a break, mentally and physically. 

The only problem I see is he hasn't even met his new coach yet.

Larin is the best new CDN whipping boy...that's it.  Every other position has the youth fully infused, to tame the mob of newsters

Deciding that Larin is a sub-optimal choice to all the other possibilities, in a real match?  That's definitely debatable...not crazy...just debatable.  Larin scores in all sorts of situations, and no striker scores everything we want them to, by a loooooong shot.

I think there's time to figure out a newfront 2 dynamic.  For 2026.

So give Cyle a friggin' break!  The guy has been outstanding AND critically important!!  And recently!!!