Cyle Larin

shermanator

Since the game didn't end until well past midnight, 120 minutes and penalties plus all those VAR checks, the players and fans ended up celebrating into the wee hours.

Apparently quite a few players went to an after hours club in San Sebastián to party with the fans at Be Club!, which has regular opening hours until 5am, right in the old part of the city near the river mouth. I didn't see Cyle was amongst them. The rest partied at their hotel. 

Aguirre in the press conference was subdued, said they had prepped in part talking with the players and there were far more who had relegated with a club than had won any sort of silverware ever. Also said they had not practiced penalties because they did not have time. When he asked who wanted to shoot, he said all 10 players available raised their hands, and praised them for their attitude. He's been in Spain 20 years, with a pause, which was the only time he ever won a trophy as a coach, the Concacaf Champions with Monterrey a couple years ago. He lost a Cup final with Osasuna in 2005. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

Mallorca play Athletic Club (Bilbao) in the final April 6th in Seville.

Bilbao wiped Atlético off the map, 4-0 in the aggregate. And very aggressively beat Mallorca a few weeks ago. They drop off away from home, but still, they are intense.

I think it is a better rival than Atlético for them because they won't travel as many fans, it is further away, and it is not as elite a squad. Then the stadium has a track and the fans are not going to be a factor as much, which will help Mallorca. Until a few years ago they were the king of Copas, they've only been caught by Barcelona this century. Athletic hasn't won , however, in forty years, since 1984, they've lost the last 6 finals they've played.

Just provided a rather unconventional assist to put Mallorca up 1-0.  Looks like his teammates volley comes off his arm and falls to another teammate who slides it in.

Edited by Corazon

After a VAR check on Larin's assist, the Mallorca goal by Copete stands, 1-0, m. 35. 

Mallorca actually deserved it as they've had 7 corners, have pressured the Girona defense the whole way. After a clearance, it went back in and Cyle chested it across the box, with maybe a touch of arm, Copete settles, waits, and blasts it.

10 minutes ago, lamptern said:

It’s a goal and Larin should get the assist no matter if he intended or not.😆

I actually think he did intend it, it was a clear motion to pass and it worked. 

One of the better halves for Mallorca this season, they played very well as a team, Larin had his part in defense and attack, they are hitting a stride, no doubt. Just need to get the three points to get that distance from the relegation spots. But Girona, with Real Madrid drawing yesterday, will also want a win to gain ground on the league's top spot.

11 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I actually think he did intend it, it was a clear motion to pass and it worked. 

One of the better halves for Mallorca this season, they played very well as a team, Larin had his part in defense and attack, they are hitting a stride, no doubt. Just need to get the three points to get that distance from the relegation spots. But Girona, with Real Madrid drawing yesterday, will also want a win to gain ground on the league's top spot.

I’ve enjoyed Larin’s intensity and pressing at times as well.  Very good half from Mallorca.

M 68, he's subbed off, Abdón on. Looking tired, tried to run on a counter, Muriqi stopped it and drew a foul, and Cyle looked gassed on the continuation.

They are sitting back a bit, but have a few counters as we say.

Edit: they win 1-0, very good match from the team and deserved to get a win, in a season where they have missed on the 3 points far too much.

Next match at Barcelona Friday at 9pm.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

Mallorca just made it to the u19 Cup final in Spain, so both senior and the kids playing cup finals. Bodes well for Mallorca as they've never had a great academy and the Balearics don't produce many quality players.

Rival this Sunday is Espanyol, remember Koleosho played the u19 Cup final for them as well. One of the best academies anywhere.

Friday night I get to walk up the hill to the Olympic Stadium and watch Cyle (hopefully plays).

27 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Mallorca just made it to the u19 Cup final in Spain, so both senior and the kids playing cup finals. Bodes well for Mallorca as they've never had a great academy and the Balearics don't produce many quality players.

Rival this Sunday is Espanyol, remember Koleosho played the u19 Cup final for them as well. One of the best academies anywhere.

Friday night I get to walk up the hill to the Olympic Stadium and watch Cyle (hopefully plays).

Don't forget your ankle brace ;)

Pretty tame from Barça, with a penalty miss included. We have the entire midfield injured. Then Xavi makes basic errors in the lineup that's left. 

Mallorca more dangerous, Larin had nice diagonal runs but often ran out of angle for his shots. One from the left went wide and then the u17 Cubarsí cut his shot off beautifully on the right. Also had a header into the goalkeeper. Both he and Muriqi showing good holdup and marking the mids well in the Barça buildup, with Darder going to help. By no means are Mallorca sitting back.

Montjuïc is a lousy stadium to watch football, not recommended at all. 

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

He's off m. 36… Barça ahead on a great goal by Yasmine Lamal, but otherwise Barça has been better but isn't great. Larin had a decent game, Muriqi was great creating play and combining. Irritating Cyle's scored so little.

Definitely. Two goals in 26 games. I know it's La Liga, but you have to wonder when the absence of goals will cost him more starts.  

57 minutes ago, blueseeka said:

If the had a better backup then yes. But Prats isn't it

That, his assists and Copa Del Rey goals help, I suppose. But it's kind of the elephant in the room right now. Been more than a month since his last league goal, if I'm not mistaken. 

Edit: Check that. It's been almost two months. His last La Liga goal came on Jan. 13 vs Celta Vigo. 

Edited by DeRo_Is_King

On 1/13/2024 at 4:45 PM, sebdeserio said:

There's little chance he's getting another game where he plays the full 90 minutes and Mallorca are so dominant. If you're happy with him being a mediocre La Liga striker that's fine and dandy but any self-respecting striker would be frustrated with 1 goal on 7 shots, 5 of which were on target. 

GIF by Christmas FM

11 hours ago, DeRo_Is_King said:

Definitely. Two goals in 26 games. I know it's La Liga, but you have to wonder when the absence of goals will cost him more starts.  

One of the saving factors is that they are not in relegation, they are a few points above and if all goes right, they'll avoid it. Panic buttons get pushed when you fall into the bottom 3, and they haven't.

Another is that the Cup run has been good, he scored in it, they are one win --the final next month-- away from qualifying for Europa League. He scores in that, or just plays a strong role, and it almost justifies the season.

Then the other key, expensive signing, Sergi Darder, has in many ways been even more disappointing. Darder is a creative mid, a real talent, and has hardly shown any of it all season. He is rarely starting, so Cyle is not the only new face playing below standard. And then Darder was supposed to be the player leading in assists, including set pieces, so that isn't there either.  Aguirre says that last year they were more efficient, had less xG, this year they have more chances and convert less.

The final comment I'd make is that La Liga is hard, it is not an easy place to play. We forgot that while Messi and Cristiano were scoring 35 plus each every season, but this year things are back on track, scoring over 20 is a lot (as we are seeing this year in EPL, the top leagues are not easy to score in). 

All said, I was pretty convinced he'd score 8-10 and if you'd told me he'd end up with six or less on the season, I would not have believed it.

Mallorca won the Spanish u19 Cup, in penalties vs. Espanyol.

For me it could be relevant not so much for Cyle, but thinking of the fact that the club is partially Canadian owned (Steve Nash). I never thought of their academy as being particularly strong, in fact it is the first time they've won this trophy; but if it is improving, it'd be great to think about it being a path for Canadian kids.