Cyle Larin

shermanator

2 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

He's an interesting character. He complained about the dutch coach and his lack of netherlands call ups....even though he was already cap tied to suriname. 

Have we played against him?

He is actually high-paced but imo not very good. He's quite sloppy and seems below RS level. Was a Union Berlin player for years, and only middling. Always bugs me how easy it can be for other players to get onto top teams, and how hard it is for our guys. 

Just now, Unnamed Trialist said:

He is actually high-paced but imo not very good. He's quite sloppy and seems below RS level. Was a Union Berlin player for years, and only middling. Always bugs me how easy it can be for other players to get onto top teams, and how hard it is for our guys. 

I am pretty certain he was part of the team we played in the WCQ prelim round.

2 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

@Obinna is correct. I think it was soon after he committed to them. He had a great start to the season for goals one season at union. Other than that, hes never been great. 

Long VAR check on a Mallorca goalline clearance, ball not all the way in, ball hits Samu's shoulder from a very close blast. Very good work from the VAR and my commentators agree. 

Mallorca take off 2 players and not Larin. Still a 5-3-2.

Long first 15 m with the Var, 15 minutes left as they change sides.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

Larin's off at this break, they are going to a 5-4-1. But Radonjic who comes on is a new Serb they picked up in January from Italy, a winger or attacking mid on the wing, and fast.  Not a great game from Cyle. But you can't say Abdón was better, at all, or Muriqi since he's been on either. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

51 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

@Obinna is correct. I think it was soon after he committed to them. He had a great start to the season for goals one season at union. Other than that, hes never been great. 

Which is somewhat surprising IMO.

He scored goals in the Eredivisie, then moved to the Bundesliga with Union Berlin and scored goals there too. His best season was scoring 11 Bundesliga goals, which is pretty impressive . How many CONCACAF players have done that over the years? Not many.  

But he's never really put it together for Surnime. Kind of like Leon Bailey with Jamaica.

Somehow though, he's failed upwards by moving to Real Sociadad on loan, a better team than Union Berlin, despite not scoring a single goal in the first half of the year. 

Another thing about Becker is his pace. I recall when Davies was setting all these top speed records in the Bundesliga, Becker was consistently one of those names who was 2nd or 3rd behind Davies. Crazy he hasn't done more in CONCACAF.

But anyway, glad he didn't hurt us when we played them. And good to see Larin come out on top.  

Huge win for Mallorca, final on 6 April in Seville against the winner of the Athletic Club de Bilbao - Atlético de Madrid matchup, Thursday.

The last Cup Mallorca won was in 2003.

Real Sociedad have injuries and are in a slump, especially for goals, after winning their Champions League group, so it was a good time to face them.

Mallorca competed well, was a tough rival, but no one would say that even at their best they are a top half of the table team. I don't see it. Maybe they are a 10th-15th team as is. 

Just wanted to repeat something I posted a few weeks back, Greif the Mallorca keeper, who is only playing Cup and stopped a penalty during the game and another in the penalty round, was a long-time Slovan Bratislava starter, came up through their youth. He left for Mallorca 2 years ago, but Borjan was signed to improve on Greif's replacement.

4 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Back to Cyle though. What a great opportunity to play in the Copa Del Rey final. 

IF Mallorca can win it, it would rank really high up on the trophy list for Larin.

Turkish Super Lig, Turkish Cup, Turkish and Belgian Super Cups. You could make the argument Copa Del Rey would be the biggest of them all. 

Your clearly forgetting his biggest title of all…

2022 CONCACAF Qualification title 😂 

13 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Just wanted to repeat something I posted a few weeks back, Greif the Mallorca keeper, who is only playing Cup and stopped a penalty during the game and another in the penalty round, was a long-time Slovan Bratislava starter, came up through their youth. He left for Mallorca 2 years ago, but Borjan was signed to improve on Greif's replacement.

So you're saying, "Good Greif"?!

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

Which is somewhat surprising IMO.

He scored goals in the Eredivisie, then moved to the Bundesliga with Union Berlin and scored goals there too. His best season was scoring 11 Bundesliga goals, which is pretty impressive . How many CONCACAF players have done that over the years? Not many.  

But he's never really put it together for Surnime. Kind of like Leon Bailey with Jamaica.

Somehow though, he's failed upwards by moving to Real Sociadad on loan, a better team than Union Berlin, despite not scoring a single goal in the first half of the year. 

Another thing about Becker is his pace. I recall when Davies was setting all these top speed records in the Bundesliga, Becker was consistently one of those names who was 2nd or 3rd behind Davies. Crazy he hasn't done more in CONCACAF.

But anyway, glad he didn't hurt us when we played them. And good to see Larin come out on top.  

Having watched him a few times at Union, I can say there are two things that Becker is really good at - pace and the ability to cross or finish with either foot.  He thrives on a countering team, but his skill set doesn't really work with say a possession-based team, or even a high-pressing team, because he needs his space and pace to make the plays.  Not an expert of course, and this is just based on my limited viewing.

31 minutes ago, narduch said:

I believe this result essentially guarantees Mallorca a spot in Europe next season.

This would be dependent on both Atletico and Athletic qualifying for Eurpope through the league, as well as Spain allowing the runner-up to take the spot rather than giving it to the next highest team in the league. England used to allow runners-up to qualify if the winner had already qualified through the league. However, even they've changed it so the next highest non-qualified league spot gets it.

28 minutes ago, narduch said:

I believe this result essentially guarantees Mallorca a spot in Europe next season.

Actually not, don't think.

First four go to Champions League, 5th and Cup winner go to Europa League, 6th to Conference (which is new). If the winner of the Cup is already in Champions, or in Europa League, then they bump up the league standings and the 6th goes to Europa League and 7th to Conference League.

They have however qualified for the Spanish Super Cup, played in January in Saudi Arabia as a final four. To that go the winner and 2nd in the league, and the two Cup finalists. And if there are duplicates, they go further down the league table. There is a sizeable appearance fee. This year Osasuna played after losing the cup final to Real Madrid last spring.

11 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Actually not, don't think.

First four go to Champions League, 5th and Cup winner go to Europa League, 6th to Conference (which is new). If the winner of the Cup is already in Champions, or in Europa League, then they bump up the league standings and the 6th goes to Europa League and 7th to Conference League.

They have however qualified for the Spanish Super Cup, played in January in Saudi Arabia as a final four. To that go the winner and 2nd in the league, and the two Cup finalists. And if there are duplicates, they go further down the league table. There is a sizeable appearance fee. This year Osasuna played after losing the cup final to Real Madrid last spring.

Thanks.

I guess they will just have to win the Cup then.

13 minutes ago, narduch said:

Thanks.

I guess they will just have to win the Cup then.

Either rival, sorry to say, will be tougher than Real Sociedad, because both match them better physically, are more on form, in general, and are better at scoring goals.

Best case scenario would be an all-out brawl in their semis and a ton of players suspended 😉

As I remember it, Becker smashed one off the post in the game against us when it was still 0-0. If that goes in, maybe they can sit back and we can't break them down. Maybe we don't make it to Qatar. And maybe we never hear any complaints about the CSB deal 😜

Found the clip. They don't say his name but you can see it's number 11 (but he hits the crossbar, not the post).

And this lineup confirms number 11 is Becker.
https://www.eurosport.com/football/world-cup-qualification-concacaf/2022/live-canada-suriname_mtc1213867/live-lineup.shtml

1 hour ago, Kent said:

As I remember it, Becker smashed one off the post in the game against us when it was still 0-0. If that goes in, maybe they can sit back and we can't break them down. Maybe we don't make it to Qatar. And maybe we never hear any complaints about the CSB deal 😜

Found the clip. They don't say his name but you can see it's number 11 (but he hits the crossbar, not the post).

And this lineup confirms number 11 is Becker.
https://www.eurosport.com/football/world-cup-qualification-concacaf/2022/live-canada-suriname_mtc1213867/live-lineup.shtml

man that was enjoyable to watch. Thanks Kent!