shermanator

1 hour ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

Sociedad staff member gets red carded and sent out at 51'
Zubeldia gets a yellow for throwing Cyle down at 61'
Sociedad making three changes at 63'

Larin off at 63'

Mallorca 1 Real Sociedad 1 67'

Sociedad scores in XT 93'

Bunch of yellow cards given for players holding their hands out in front of them with stupid looks on their faces

Red card given to a player (who wasn't even in the game) after the game

I am getting the impression the fans don't like the ref.

Real Sociedad 2 Mallorca 1 FT

Spanish refs are very authoritarian, from top flight down into kids, then also are headstrong while being random. Many lack temple, and seem to not be confident in what they are doing.

So you get these absurd card-fests, the most ridiculous game in the World Cup in that regard was reffed by a Spaniard, Mateu Lahoz in the Argentina-Netherlands. 

As I say did not see the match, Mallorca was not overly punished by not getting a point as the direct rivals below also lost.

Mallorca play today 6.30pm in Vitoria, away to Alavés. They only have four points of the last 15 in play. 

Snowed there last night but turned into slush, cool and wet there.

Only getting wins in the Cup, the 2nd leg of semis goes Tuesday in very nearby San Sebastian, I wonder if they'll stay over there.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

1-1

Alavés score on a corner, m. 75, then Larin is in on the Mallorca draw, header from Muriqi, he goes up and appears to be fouled in the box as he heads, drops to Nastasic and they score. 

He's had a few counters, one where he gets it to the striker who miffs; another he turns on his left and shoots, but there was probably a foul in the box; then he scores with a nice turn with a minute left but he used his hand to control.

He was as active in 15 as Muriqi in 90. I suspect he was being saved a bit for their Cup match Tuesday, good sign. I find it odd Muriqi played 90 in those circumstances.

Related, tonight is 2nd leg of the Cup semis, major match for both teams. To be played at 9.30pm local time, love our late kick-offs in Spain. 0-0 in the first leg and away goals do not count, just results. So any draw goes to extra periods. 

Marca is saying Muriqi and Abdon will start, not Larin. Diario AS says Muriqi will start alone in a 5-4-1. Last night there was a full preview programme on a major channel, they argued that Mallorca does better with two not one strikers, even playing away. But I could imagine a more defensive line-up, Aguiire does not tend to risk too much. What I don't get, if Muriqi played 90 a few days ago, why he'd start again today. Neither team is on a very good league run and both have struggled for goals in 2024.

2 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Related, tonight is 2nd leg of the Cup semis, major match for both teams. To be played at 9.30pm local time, love our late kick-offs in Spain. 0-0 in the first leg and away goals do not count, just results. So any draw goes to extra periods. 

Marca is saying Muriqi and Abdon will start, not Larin. Diario AS says Muriqi will start alone in a 5-4-1. Last night there was a full preview programme on a major channel, they argued that Mallorca does better with two not one strikers, even playing away. But I could imagine a more defensive line-up, Aguiire does not tend to risk too much. What I don't get, if Muriqi played 90 a few days ago, why he'd start again today. Neither team is on a very good league run and both have struggled for goals in 2024.

I am not following Larin and Mallorca as closely as you, but to me it seems that Muriqi is clearly preferred to Larin. He was their main striker before Larin came in. Then, when Larin did arrive, he played second fiddle to Muriqi. Larin then got a lot of his playing time when Muruqi was out injured, but now he is back playing. Yes generally you would expect rotation, but not in a Cup semi-final (esp when your club has no other chance to win anything) - you go with your best players. That's probably the logic behind it, I suppose.

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

I am not following Larin and Mallorca as closely as you, but to me it seems that Muriqi is clearly preferred to Larin. He was their main striker before Larin came in. Then, when Larin did arrive, he played second fiddle to Muriqi. Larin then got a lot of his playing time when Muruqi was out injured, but now he is back playing. Yes generally you would expect rotation, but not in a Cup semi-final (esp when your club has no other chance to win anything) - you go with your best players. That's probably the logic behind it, I suppose.

Well it seems the previews were wrong: he's starting up top with Abdon and Muriqi will come off the bench. Makes sense, Muriqi is just coming off an injury, just played 90+ three days ago, so there you go. In a 5-3-2. Should be exciting, La Real still does not have their leading striker back, Oyarzabal, so that takes away some of their bite but I suppose nails will be bitten by others.

Cyle had a claim for a penalty in a long throw in, where the CB was grabbing him. Starting to see a bit more ball. He may get more of those. Really Mallorca has them  penned in and are playing hard, pressing high, si far they have a slight edge. You can tell the Txuri Urdin (RS) fans are nervous.

And RS nab a penalty at the end of the half, the defender can't get his hand away from the cross. And the keeper stops it!

3 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Cyle had a claim for a penalty in a long throw in, where the CB was grabbing him. Starting to see a bit more ball. He may get more of those. Really Mallorca has them  penned in and are playing hard, pressing high, si far they have a slight edge. You can tell the Txuri Urdin (RS) fans are nervous.

And RS nab a penalty at the end of the half, the defender can't get his hand away from the cross. And the keeper stops it!

The defender was clever, letting go at just the right moment. Mallorca are playing well, the PK was harsh on the balance of play, so I am happy it was missed. Tense match.

Abdón off for Muriqi, nice dangerous strike force if Mallorca want to send long high balls up. Will work for counters for 10-15 minutes, though I expect if they get to m. 75 or so ahead, they'll take Larin off and go with a 5-4-1.

Oyarzabal on for la Real, he's a great attacker, very effective, but been sidelined injured for quite a while and may be rusty.

A few minutes left in regular time. Nail biting, RS attacking a lot. If he has to Cyle is back in the box defending. So he can't really help Muriqi on the counters, he's too far away. As long as it's tight he should stay on, at least into the extra periods. 

Mallorca just miss a beauty on a counter, m. 90. 5 m extra time. Tons of Real corners, Larin and Muriqi in the box, they are not even the first ones out, the mids chase the balls out of the box and they are staying in.