Cyle Larin

shermanator

33 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Preview: reports say he'll play up top with Abdón in front of a 5-3, Muriqi is still not ready for 90. They play the Cup keeper Greif but he's also good. Aguirre says they have to pace it over 180 minutes, there is no away goal either so that is not a concern.

Real Sociedad has a few injuries but got Kubo back from the Asian Cup after Japan was eliminated. I must admit I am a bit tired of watching Mallorca, overly pending this or that detail from Cyle, like an overly doting parent. Same reason I tired of Lille. But if you can, Real Sociedad plays beautiful football at times, won their Champions group, really an exemplary football project for a mid-budget team. 

mallorca vs girona in the last round was painful to say the least. hump the ball in behind and hope for a counter attack is not fun soccer. 

11 minutes ago, Obinna said:

This is an aside, but is that a club Eustaquio could eventually move to?

When you said "mid-budget" it put the thought in my head, as Staq could maybe be a "mid-budget" signing of sorts. If he ever leaves Porto, I doubt he'll cost much, maybe no more than 10M euros, but at that cost (or lower) he'd possibly be good value.

Geographically it's also a hop, skip, and a jump from where he's currently at. Moreover, Real Sciedad seem to consistently punch above their weight, having a good presence in European competition and all, so that's a place I would be happy to see him, if not Porto. 

Seems like it would be a nice lateral move from Porto, which him and the club may want to make with the emergence of Valera (is that his name?). Thing is, I have no idea of a player like Eustaquio would fit Real Sociedad, as I don't know enough about them. 

Thoughts?

It is true that la Real tend to sign slightly younger players from outside, and have sold on very well, like Isak to Newcastle. Griezmann was a Real Sociedad youth player. And then they bring up their own academy players. They don't have the Bilbao restriction for only Basques, but are a bit careful about occupying spots with foreigners that they could potentially fill. Then it happens they have very good mids in Mikel Merino and Zubimendi, also on the national team. 

In favour, they like a high press, have that pace and physicality that makes the Basque teams resemble aspects of EPL clubs. They are not obsessively tactical, which imo is a weaker areas for Steph. 

I just want to see Staq do more than be a Porto player, but to find a clearer identity. I realise it may not matter for Canada, but for his career I think it will. I've suggested it before, but I think he has to do less, do it better, not overextend, and then he'll be identified as a players with specific virtues. No transfer rumour at all for him, considering the level, suggests that clubs don't see him in any particular way. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

Half time. Very hard fought Cup match, Mallorca had the same quality chances or better, but have less than 40% possession. RS has not broken through effectively. Mallorca have a dozen fouls, RS has a lot too, maybe the ref is calling too many. A few players hot under the collar. Cyle fighting for the chances and not touching the ball too much.

He's off m. 76. They bolster the midfield to try to save the tie, still scoreless.

Nothing special from Cyle today in a tough match where they kept their defensive shape fairly well.

Edit. Ends scoreless. Good result given the rival.

I think most don't realize what we're talking about with RS: look at the market value of Zubimendi the compact DM of Real Sociedad. That guy could play on any team in the world. https://www.transfermarkt.com/martin-zubimendi/profil/spieler/423440#/

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

Mallorca beat Rayo 2-1 on a late Muriqi goal, they have 23 points after 24 games. As Muriqi is back healthy I think Cyle will go back to rotation with the other strikers and will probably see less minutes.

Normally a point a game is relegation in Spain, you need over 40 points in a 38-game league to ensure staying up. But they are 6 points above relegation. 

They host Real Sociedad in league next Sunday.

10 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Mallorca beat Rayo 2-1 on a late Muriqi goal, they have 23 points after 24 games. As Muriqi is back healthy I think Cyle will go back to rotation with the other strikers and will probably see less minutes.

Normally a point a game is relegation in Spain, you need over 40 points in a 38-game league to ensure staying up. But they are 6 points above relegation. 

They host Real Sociedad in league next Sunday.

Pretty much over for Almeria, might also be the end for Granada way before 38th week.

34 minutes ago, MauditYvon said:

Pretty much over for Almeria, might also be the end for Granada way before 38th week.

True, they are 11 points up on Granada, who we get to see in 2 hours at Barcelona. 

So it'll come down to Cadiz, Celta Vigo, Mallorca, maybe some other team that slips. But if two of the relegation teams are very far off, in any 20-team league, that usually pushed the relegation line up, so maybe they'll need more points to get over the line.

Just took a look and they say the average points to not relegate in the history of EPL, 20 teams, is 35.7, or 36. In La Liga in the last 12 years it is 38.5 points. I guess teams target 42 because it is a safe number and means maybe you can say phew before the final day.

Mallorca 1 Real Sociedad 0 4'

Larin and another player bump heads, both exit and then reenter game 9'

Commentator says Larin has to start pulling his weight (for the season)

Larin has to stop bitching at the refs, it does him no favours (commentator made a comment about the ref having no part of it)

Edited by Joe MacCarthy

18 minutes ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

Mallorca 1 Real Sociedad 0 4'

Larin and another player bump, both exit and then reenter game 9'

Commentator says Larin has to start pulling his weight (for the season)

Larin has to stop bitching at the refs, it does him no favours (commentator made a comment about the ref having no part of it)

Right after assisting on the goal?

How's he doing?

I agree he could score more, but if he defends, pressures the ball, has chances? It's a low scoring team with a tough defence, lots of fouls , and his goals have gotten them wins and into Cup semis. 

5 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Right after assisting on the goal?

How's he doing?

I agree he could score more, but if he defends, pressures the ball, has chances? It's a low scoring team with a tough defence, lots of fouls , and his goals have gotten them wins and into Cup semis. 

The comment was made after the goal and was in the context of goalscoring.  He also said something to the effect of he was given to the end of January to start scoring, improved a bit and was barren of late IIRC

Sociedad staff member gets red carded and sent out at 51'
Zubeldia gets a yellow for throwing Cyle down at 61'
Sociedad making three changes at 63'

Larin off at 63'

Mallorca 1 Real Sociedad 1 67'

Sociedad scores in XT 93'

Bunch of yellow cards given for players holding their hands out in front of them with stupid looks on their faces

Red card given to a player (who wasn't even in the game) after the game

I am getting the impression the fans don't like the ref.

Real Sociedad 2 Mallorca 1 FT

Edited by Joe MacCarthy