Cyle Larin

shermanator

4 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Ends 3-2, they are through. One of Real Sociedad, and winners of Athletic Club-Barcelona and Atletico Madrid-Sevilla await them in semis. 

Betis in the league at home this weekend.

Some real heavy hitters await. Has been a great run for Mallorca so far, no matter how things unfold from here. 

In the Copa del Rey semi finals, they've drawn la Real Sociedad, first leg at home either 6-7-8 of February, second leg in the last midweek of February, away to San Sebastián. 

Of the rivals, it's the best one to face away on a second leg (as @scullion44 says above), less stadium pressure than in Bilbao or vs Atlético. But still, they are not favourite and probably would not have been favourite with the final leg at home.

With Muriqi back, though not really on form, I expect Cyle's minutes may drop a bit as they share around playing time to keep everyone fresh with these midweek Cup matches. Tomorrow vs. Betis at home, 9pm local time.

Edit: see they host Real Sociedad in league the weekend before the Cup 2nd leg. So they see them 3 times this month. La Real also has Champions League, away to PSG then home to them early March, because RS won their group. That shifts some of the odds back to Mallorca.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

They're playing a 5-3-2 with Abdon and Cyle up front. Cyle almost caught one that was cleared in the first minutes.

Betis are playing well this year, but have a ton of injuries, almost a dozen; plus the guy who had been the leading striker, Borja Iglesias, has just been announced as going on loan to Bayer Leverkusen, odd operation really.

Betis grab one in first half stoppage, 0-1. Not a great game, much less intense than the Cup, both teams sort of going through the motions. Betis is just managing their short roster, but Mallorca is playing impatiently, with too many long balls to Larin. On one he hit heads with a Betis CB and both were hurting a long while, were off a couple minutes for the protocol.

He's off m. 58, a bit early to my liking. But since they are not combining and just making him chase low % balls, it's fine. Also, he's had a lot of minutes I guess. Still 0-1.

Seen arguing with a teammate on the bench after the sub; he tends to gesticulate a lot and seems sour at times, I don't get where he gets this character. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

His body language was bad pretty much all game. You could see him gesturing his hands and dropping his head when he didn't get the ball.

He also took a very long time getting off the field. Just slow walking off the field when they are down a goal.

Saw only the end of the arguing on the bench. Not sure what brought it on

2 minutes ago, blueseeka said:

His body language was bad pretty much all game. You could see him gesturing his hands and dropping his head when he didn't get the ball.

He also took a very long time getting off the field. Just slow walking off the field when they are down a goal.

Saw only the end of the arguing on the bench. Not sure what brought it on

Right, maybe because he's slowly walking off as you say when down a goal. He was arguing with Valjent, the other player subbed, who ran off quickly, as you should.

4 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Right, maybe because he's slowly walking off as you say when down a goal. He was arguing with Valjent, the other player subbed, who ran off quickly, as you should.

It is just surprising when he has been scoring lately. But today was disappointing to watch his body language

He didnt really service today but you can't constantly complain. Mallorca was finally playing with two strikers. If he just stays positive, he will get plenty of playing time

Edited by blueseeka

2 hours ago, clamlinguine said:

Larin doesn't seem to be as thrilled about playing in Laliga as we are about having him there.

Since he's had problems in pretty well every club he's been, starting fine, slipping, bailing out, ending on bad terms--all except Valladolid I'd say--I am not entirely surprised. Only disappointed, since he's pro. Put your head down, talk to a psychologist, be a good teammate. And do what you can on the pitch, which he more or less does.

49 minutes ago, narduch said:

Starting v Athletic Club

Very hard match. One of the hardest places to visit, San Mamés in Bilbao.

He's alone up top, Abdon on the bench. I was reading Granada sites that they were trying to get Abdon on loan from Mallorca this window. So the perception is that Larin and Muriqi (who's not yet fit to start) are the key pairing going forward, it suggests Mallorca actually had considered the proposal.

He's off, got an undeserved yellow just before the change.

Hardly did a thing, neither has anyone else; Athletic Club has run them off the pitch and are showing great form, as they challenge for a Champions League spot (3-0 m. 81).

Cup semi final first leg next midweek, home to Real Sociedad, Tuesday at 9pm local time.

Preview: reports say he'll play up top with Abdón in front of a 5-3, Muriqi is still not ready for 90. They play the Cup keeper Greif but he's also good. Aguirre says they have to pace it over 180 minutes, there is no away goal either so that is not a concern.

Real Sociedad has a few injuries but got Kubo back from the Asian Cup after Japan was eliminated. I must admit I am a bit tired of watching Mallorca, overly pending this or that detail from Cyle, like an overly doting parent. Same reason I tired of Lille. But if you can, Real Sociedad plays beautiful football at times, won their Champions group, really an exemplary football project for a mid-budget team. 

24 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Preview: reports say he'll play up top with Abdón in front of a 5-3, Muriqi is still not ready for 90. They play the Cup keeper Greif but he's also good. Aguirre says they have to pace it over 180 minutes, there is no away goal either so that is not a concern.

Real Sociedad has a few injuries but got Kubo back from the Asian Cup after Japan was eliminated. I must admit I am a bit tired of watching Mallorca, overly pending this or that detail from Cyle, like an overly doting parent. Same reason I tired of Lille. But if you can, Real Sociedad plays beautiful football at times, won their Champions group, really an exemplary football project for a mid-budget team. 

This is an aside, but is that a club Eustaquio could eventually move to?

When you said "mid-budget" it put the thought in my head, as Staq could maybe be a "mid-budget" signing of sorts. If he ever leaves Porto, I doubt he'll cost much, maybe no more than 10M euros, but at that cost (or lower) he'd possibly be good value.

Geographically it's also a hop, skip, and a jump from where he's currently at. Moreover, Real Sciedad seem to consistently punch above their weight, having a good presence in European competition and all, so that's a place I would be happy to see him, if not Porto. 

Seems like it would be a nice lateral move from Porto, which him and the club may want to make with the emergence of Valera (is that his name?). Thing is, I have no idea of a player like Eustaquio would fit Real Sociedad, as I don't know enough about them. 

Thoughts?

Edited by Obinna