Cyle Larin

shermanator

39 minutes ago, Joe1973 said:

Funny how this post and the jokes of Larin's vehicular incident are juxtaposed. Goes to show that you cannot judge a man's character by the mistakes he's made in the past.

Classy gesture. Way to go, Cyle!

With the round done, Mallorca goes into the Copa del Rey quarter final draw tomorrow midday in Spain. Games set for next week. Mallorca has played their last 7 Cup matches away, but I am hoping they draw Barça or Girona away again, will enable me to go. Rivals, single game knockouts:

Athletic Club (Bilbao), Atlético de Madrid (just beat Real Madrid), Barcelona, Celta Vigo, Girona, Real Sociedad and Sevilla. Very strong draw.

Wanted to comment, something is odd with the Mallorca press, they are really disappointing me. Yesterday's post-game press conference, not a single question or comment about Larin, after the winner. And very few features on him in the press. It's like they refuse to acknowledge him, instead talk about peripheral players and anecdotes. They seem petty and provincial. Must admit, there are some really childish posters on social media "blaming" Larin for not scoring more (and bitching about other new players like Darder) when he's given the team 4 points in the last two league games and this quarter final round.

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

In quarter finals Copa del Rey, Mallorca is home to Girona, game set for next midweek.

Think it's accessible, Girona is leader in La Liga, play great, but are focused on it, and may not have the depth to handle another competition. 

They play Wednesday the 24th at 7.30 local time, 1:30Pm EST.

Tomorrow they are at Villareal in league play. 

I saw Cyle last year there with Valladolid. It is a bit of a haul for me to drive, 3 hours. Think I'll pass. I do have tix for Barça-Mallorca on 10 March.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

5 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Weird. But kinda cool.

Spanish people doing Spanish things.

Weird isn’t the word I would use on so many levels, but I’ll see the positive as they took a different culture and appropriated the song for him. 

That whole robe choir shit is for black American churches, you will rarely/never see that in Canada. The song “don’t worry be happy” was performed by a 8th generation American trying to mimic Jamaican reggae music. 

Related to that, it is extremely popular to do choirs in Spain in the last few years, and many traditional choirs, like with your friends at work, have added gospel. They love it, amateur gospel, they chip in, hire a choirmaster, and go for it. With no connection to evangelical or Pentecostal traditions, with no idea of Protestantism really (discriminated and even penalized under the dictatorship). And little awareness of cultural and even racial appropriation, they are rather blind to that in Spain. 

That said, it is a bit quirky in a good way, since Mallorca has a very popular mascot who is a devil figure, called Dimonió, so there are these angel-devil, good-bad religious metaphors flying around. He's actually voted the best in the Liga, the guy is talented and funny too. That is related to traditions on the Balearics (and here in Catalonia also) where you have processions of devils and demons, shooting off fireworks and firecrackers (sometimes incredibly dangerous and noisy), there are clubs dedicated to organising these for given days. So I think they are mixing that in. 

I personally find it uncomfortable and don't like it, they are making a racial inference despite turning the gospel song into a song encouraging Larin, and giving him some major hype as a player. It's off, but that is Spain. Sociological studies say people are openly, in language, often intolerant and seem discriminatory, but then in practice some of the most tolerant. Already, in the 1920s, the Spanish league was multi-racial, but then we get those incidents with Vinicius last year and it is all too contradictory.

I suspect someone at the choir told the club they'd done a version in honour of Larin and they went for it, because it is based on the most recent goals, they produced a fairly decent video quite quickly.

Here's a video of the Demon mascot, gets some news, locks himself into the dressing room causing havoc, they call in the police and army, it becomes national news--then we find out why he was so angry: they'd announced signing the striker Angel from Getafe. 

Turns out Angel is now at Tenerife and they played against him last week in the Cup

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

6 hours ago, Shway said:

Spanish people doing Spanish things.....That whole robe choir shit is for black American churches, you will rarely/never see that in Canada.

And little awareness of cultural and even racial appropriation, they are rather blind to that in Spain. 

I personally find it uncomfortable and don't like it, they are making a racial inference despite turning the gospel song into a song encouraging Larin, and giving him some major hype as a player. It's off, but that is Spain.

Agree with both of you @Shway & @Unnamed Trialist.

It feels like they wouldn't have filmed that for a white player.

Larin did spend many years in the states and I have no idea what his religious or cultural background is but, regardless, that performance is uncomfortably bizarre. I used the word "cool" as well because there is obviously a genuine appreciation for Larin that shines through.

That said, it is a bit quirky in a good way..

I did not know the Spanish were that weird. Thanks for the background info.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

They were saying Mallorca has an xG  of 0.01 so far, after 40 minutes. That includes a few corners, a shot, a few free kicks. Which they suggest is the lowest they've seen all year of any team. But I don't care much about that stuff, the match is fairly even and they are in possession in the Villareal half quite a bit.

This may of been the most boring 45' minutes of any match I have watched this year.

If you like midfield passes, this is the game for you. No attack at all by Mallorca. Larin got an early yellow and then had two other fouls that could of been a 2nd yellow. There has been no service at all to him.

Mallorca goaie is in the Borjan school of attack. Evenytime he gets the ball he just hammers the ball to half and hopes for the best. This hasn't been successful once yet this game

Villareal scored just before half, so hopefully the Mallorca coach gets Larin some help up front. I keep wanting to switch to the Bristol/ Watford game. This one is not fun to watch

8 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

1-0 at the half, the locals grab one at the end. With Larin having a yellow, and the Villareal players trying to get him another, he could be off by m. 60, not sure he'll last the whole match otherwise.

Larin has also been very clumsy in his fouls. He was been lucky with that forearm to the face