Cyle Larin

shermanator

15 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Exactly, the chorus line chirps on cue, instead of doing their twirls and shutting up like asked. He ties the game on a nice goal, proves he has broken his scoring slump (also scored in the Cup this week), and they get on his case because he didn't score two more.

It's like they have really never watched football before. 

It is not even logical, this business of "they would have won" or "he should have gotten 3". Any change in any play at any time alters the entire game from that point on.

I only saw the end, was watching PNE with Millar, but when I did tune in, commentators also stated he could be glad with his goal, but should have had more.  His team mate also implied a little disappointment that Cyle only had one, and he had to keep working harder.  So, it kinda seems like the general thought across the board.

8 hours ago, costarg said:

I only saw the end, was watching PNE with Millar, but when I did tune in, commentators also stated he could be glad with his goal, but should have had more.  His team mate also implied a little disappointment that Cyle only had one, and he had to keep working harder.  So, it kinda seems like the general thought across the board.

The consensus on every single striker in the world is that they "should have had more".

8 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

The consensus on every single striker in the world is that they "should have had more".

Accurate.  However we also blame the team around the striker fairly regularly.  Case in point: Jonathan David.  No one blamed the team yesterday, the opportunities were there.

Playing the Cup away to Tenerife today, at 9 GMT. Mallorca did not take striker Muriqi, who was on the bench last game after supposedly returning from injury, so that should mean minutes for Cyle.

Only thing is that in the preview Aguirre said they may mix things up to give regulars a rest, and that could mean Cyle sitting out. It'd be odd, however, to respect a lower tier team that much to only play with one striker. 

They are also missing key players, destroyer mid Samu, then Maffeo the outside back is injured. 

30 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Playing the Cup away to Tenerife today, at 9 GMT. Mallorca did not take striker Muriqi, who was on the bench last game after supposedly returning from injury, so that should mean minutes for Cyle.

Only thing is that in the preview Aguirre said they may mix things up to give regulars a rest, and that could mean Cyle sitting out. It'd be odd, however, to respect a lower tier team that much to only play with one striker. 

They are also missing key players, destroyer mid Samu, then Maffeo the outside back is injured. 

It's a long away trip. Maybe that'd factor into it?

Starting on the bench.

https://x.com/RCD_Mallorca/status/1747348112740429852?s=20he

I guess, @Obinna, they feel Abdón is also reliable, he is starting alone up front. 

I am also surprised they are giving the sub keeper the start. Also surprised they played 5-4-1 at home the other day, and repeating that vs. a team in 2nd division.

I appreciate you may rest starters in the Cup, but Tenerife is a very tough team in a big stadium, being 2nd tier really does not make it much easier. But what it says to me is that they are giving priority to the league and will only go all in tonight if they see they need to.

M 70, 0-0, they've made 4 subs, but not the striker.

I think that last one will be reserved for Cyle if they can't get a goal in the next 20 minutes, or if Tenerife get one. If they have to play an extra 30 we'll see him, I imagine Aguirre is reserving him for that. 

I think Hume might have played with the Tenerife striker Enric Gallego when he went to Extremadura.

And Cyle is on!!

So I was wrong, logically, Aguirre wants to get the win in regular time to not exhaust the team for the league battle, he even left the other striker Abdón on.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

41 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Struggling for a ball in the corner he really hustled for, the defender pushes the hell out of him, vaults him over, no foul. 

Larin mouths and gestures to the linesman right beside him: "Open your eyes". 

Lucky he does not know Spanish yet, he'll start to see yellows immediately. 

"Obra los oyos!"  (Is that correct? And the name of a famous Spanish movie, no?) 

0-1

Late in the last minutes Mallorca put a few long balls into the box, pick up the clearings, try to put another in. On the final a Mallorca player heads a bouncing clearance into the middle, Cyle settles very nicely and then sweeps it hard across his body into the opposite corner. Last play of the game, great goal after a really well played match, Tenerife are an excellent team, the stadium was full, and the quality overall, with the ref letting them play and not calling too much, was good.

28 minutes ago, The Beaver 2.0 said:

"Obra los oyos!"  (Is that correct? And the name of a famous Spanish movie, no?) 

He said it in English, with a rather rude hand gesture, saved him from the card.

But Abre los ojos, right you are, directed by Alejandro Amenábar, a fine filmmaker. Tom Cruise liked it so much he bought the English rights and did a US version, Vanilla Sky. The first is very unsettling, a psychological fantasy drama, an excellent film, better than the remake.

Penelope Cruz, young, so cute.

In both versions, in the pre-digital world, they have scenes of totally empty main streets of bustling cities, Gran Via in Madrid and Times Square in NYC.

Mallorca has a decent cup history, considering they only started to appear in top flight consistently in the 1980s. They lost one Copa final 1-0 vs. Atlético in extra periods, in 1991, another vs Barcelona in the penalties in 98, then finally won in 2003, 20 years ago. 

They also made it to the final of the Cup Winner's in 1999 and lost to Lazio 2-1.