Cyle Larin

shermanator

15 minutes ago, king1010 said:

He’s always had that powerful shot with minimal backswing. 

Back in the Orlando days he had goals like that from the top of the box.

He's alone up  top, but then they rotate one of the mids forwards to help pressure or support him when in possession. Then one of the back 5 pushes forward as well, into a wingback role, so 5-4-1 lineup, but closer to a 4-4-2 in practice.

I don't get these wingback teams who get exposed wide, as is the Sevilla attack. I guess not everyone is executing it right.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

44 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Larin scores a beauty, gets the ball in the box all still, hits it with little swing in to the corner with his left!

Goes to celebrate on the sidelines, I think he kisses a woman, think on the lips, and there's a young guy there beside her, his wife and agent, a friend?

Isn't that a Spanish thing, Jeff? 😉

There were a few things I missed commenting. 

First, seems he was doubtful for the match even the day before, he had some physical problems and he was not confirmed to play until late.

Then, he apparently silenced the crowd after the goal. Then, some say he was silencing the rival supporters, but it was not clear. It was quick but some press harped on it in the press conference with Aguirre, instead of praising Larin, which was very small-minded on the part of the Mallorcan football media. Last year he did that gesture in an away match, and was told by the Valladolid staff that it is very much frowned on in Spain, in fact it gets fans quite irate, and they remember it for years Basically, as a player in Spain you are not supposed to do it, is is considered a taunt, worse than in other places where it is shrugged off.

This clip in Insta, and later comments, seem to want to get fans past it and focus on how he celebrated positively.

In other news, from the Cup, Mallorca has drawn Burgos in the round of 32, another lowly team, away on 7 January. This weekend they are away to Almería, worst team in the league, so need to take points once again.

He's had quite a few this first half. A header, and especially getting by the Mexican CB Montes and going in alone, but missing. Commentators say he creates chances but overthinks and misses. "Better if he doesn't think", which could be true for a lot of strikers.

This is a match they should win because Almeria is hapless (their RB, Chumi, was Tabla's teammate at Barça B).

Mallorca 0 Almeria 0 FT

Almeria making it interesting after 80'.  One guy does the fake fall in the penalty area and then a short while later another scores (disallowed) but he gave the defender a big push before getting the ball.

Mallorca almost got a penalty chance at 88' but the fouled guy was offside.  Then they proceed to blow a great chance at 90'

I was on and off watching the game, what I saw early was a snoozefest but it livened up after 80'

m. 20 and he's in the mix as usual, calling for it, fighting for the long high balls. Osasuna got a rebound off a free kick, Mallorca a header off a corner, 1-1, two teams that got over 50 points last season having problems getting the wins. 

Must say, Mallorca is playing better, they have better defensive structure, they move the ball well and can even dominate possession, missing maybe some dangerous wing play but they are a more solid team than the Valladolid we saw last year.

That's new, pretty sure the fans chanting his name. Larin has a nice chance m. 42, controlling a bouncing ball, flipping it over the defender's head and taking a first-time volley shot that goes wide, and the fans chant his last name. Or so it seems, the crowd noise on my feed is low.

Then goes through and is stopped on a break but it's offside.

He's off m. 71, to applause. Mallorca has scored two more, 3-1, and for the first time this year is bossing a rival (Cup excepting). So feel-good all around, Larin celebrating the goals effusively with his teammates. 

Seems him scoring has loosened him up, he feels more part of the team and the fans are behind him as well.

I watched from about minute 15 until the end of the first half. I couldn't watch the second half, 'cause we're hosting Christmas in a few days, and the missus had me pulling weeds from the garden beds before starting work. 

From what I saw, Larin was one of the best players on the pitch, for either team. He's clearly frustrated by his lack of goals, but it isn't stopping him putting in a shift, chasing down long balls, pressing high, and still getting into the box for crosses. If you were watching them for the first time, and didn't know that Cyle's in the midst of a tough drought, you'd never have guessed it on the evidence of that 30ish minutes of football.

If he'd scored that left-footed shot after flicking it over the defender's head, he'd have been on highlight reels the world over.

2 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

Not a great advertisement for the 2 goalkeepers, but the greatest collective show of sportsmanship in football history!*

image.png.3ce9426a4cf3ffafc674e8276acc52e7.png

*The Guardian just may not be right on top of things when it comes to La Liga matches.

They have Sid Lowe writing about La Liga, who is excellent. And Guardian graphics are also very good. This one they just blew.

• 2 weeks later...