Cyle Larin

shermanator

3 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Oh god, I just had a terrible thought… since January is coming up, what if they loan him back out to Real Valladolid? If he can score with them but can’t make it happen in La Liga this year…

At this stage I would take that for Larin. Go back to where he knows and start banging the goals in to get his form back up. Better than not playing for Mallorca.

8 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Is he not playing for Mallorca?

Didn't play last match, did he? I guess he's played more recently, but looking at the season so far in total he hasn't played as much as I would like. Dropping a level where he can play more and hopefully score more would serve him well.

14 hours ago, Obinna said:

At this stage I would take that for Larin. Go back to where he knows and start banging the goals in to get his form back up. Better than not playing for Mallorca.

In Mallorca’s defence, I think they’re giving him a lot of opportunities to play- I wish he got more starts, but I don’t think it’s a case like at Brugge last year where he didn’t play at all. I think if the second half of the season goes the same as the first, I wouldn’t be completely against a return to MLS over anywhere else, but he’s proven he can score en masse in La Liga, so I think it’s coming for him. 

40 minutes ago, jdheid said:

Normally I'd agree, but he hasn't played a ton in league matches this season, so it's not like he needs to be rested. I thought a cup match might prime the pump for him.

He scored in the previous Cup match. 
I think if the Cup draw had given them a rival a bit closer in level he may have started, they wouldn't have risked an upset (of which there've been a few already, three top flight teams knocked out).

Home to Sevilla tomorrow in the late game, 9pm local time.

22 minutes ago, narduch said:

That's partly his own fault for coming in out of shape

This is why I think he needs to just go out on loan at this stage. Nothing seems to be changing and Mallorca seem to struggling mightily. Weren't they mid table last year? Far cry from that now. Just keeping their necks above the relegation zone. 

If Valladolid want him for another loan, he should take it. Again, it gets him playing and scoring and we want and need that, right? Gives him a do-over for the 24-25 La Liga season. 

I was always skeptical Mallorca would be a good fit for him. Unfortunately my skepticism is playing out as I feared. Yes, Larin didn't do himself any favours, but going to a new team was always going to be difficult when that team isn't built around you. If you're Mallorca you cannot build around a player who joins late and isn't fit, but this is partly on them too because they were haggling over a million or two, according to reports anyways. Had they not been so particular they would have brought him in sooner and given him a better chance to integrate. 

5 minutes ago, Obinna said:

…but this is partly on them too because they were haggling over a million or two, according to reports anyways. Had they not been so particular they would have brought him in sooner and given him a better chance to integrate. 

Not sure I agree with this.  I just started a new job and hit the ground running because I put in the work required to be effective on day 1.  And I am nothing special.  I just recognize that when you hit a certain level in your profession, the expectations go up - as does your responsibility to deliver results.  

Larin was signing the biggest contract of his career, for the biggest team he has ever played for, in one of the top league on the globe.  Sorry, but checking out mentally and coming into camp notably “out of shape” is inexcusable IMO.  He has a few more years to play at the peak of his powers and he squandered the opportunity to maximize this opportunity.   And for a guy demanding that sort of compensation, that is just not acceptable.  

All is not lost, and there is still lots time to make this a very positive outcome for all involved, but it is hard to argue against the idea that he was the architect of a very underwhelming beginning to this stage of his career.  

22 minutes ago, Obinna said:

This is why I think he needs to just go out on loan at this stage. Nothing seems to be changing and Mallorca seem to struggling mightily. Weren't they mid table last year? Far cry from that now. Just keeping their necks above the relegation zone. 

If Valladolid want him for another loan, he should take it. Again, it gets him playing and scoring and we want and need that, right? Gives him a do-over for the 24-25 La Liga season. 

I was always skeptical Mallorca would be a good fit for him. Unfortunately my skepticism is playing out as I feared. Yes, Larin didn't do himself any favours, but going to a new team was always going to be difficult when that team isn't built around you. If you're Mallorca you cannot build around a player who joins late and isn't fit, but this is partly on them too because they were haggling over a million or two, according to reports anyways. Had they not been so particular they would have brought him in sooner and given him a better chance to integrate. 

There's no way they'd loan him out. What are they going to do, with Muriqi injured, just have their local boy Abdon? They don't have any more strikers. The three compete for two spots, and in some tougher matches for just one.

Fact is, they dropped points early in the season because Muriqi missed two key penalties. Then if he comes on for 30m, it is often because they are losing or scoreless, his teammates obviously are not producing either.

Finally, Valladolid cannot afford his contract. They'd only pay half anyways, for example, so Mallorca saves little loaning him to a 2nd tier side.

24 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Not sure I agree with this.  I just started a new job and hit the ground running because I put in the work required to be effective on day 1.  And I am nothing special.  I just recognize that when you hit a certain level in your profession, the expectations go up - as does your responsibility to deliver results.  

Larin was signing the biggest contract of his career, for the biggest team he has ever played for, in one of the top league on the globe.  Sorry, but checking out mentally and coming into camp notably “out of shape” is inexcusable IMO.  He has a few more years to play at the peak of his powers and he squandered the opportunity to maximize this opportunity.   And for a guy demanding that sort of compensation, that is just not acceptable.  

All is not lost, and there is still lots time to make this a very positive outcome for all involved, but it is hard to argue against the idea that he was the architect of a very underwhelming beginning to this stage of his career.  

All of that is valid. I am not giving Larin a pass here. I am merely suggesting things would be less difficult had he joined sooner. Felt like he was linked with Mallorca for months. If Larin had an extra month of runway he's not coming in late and he's likely in better shape as well. I am sure you wouldn't argue that it wouldn't have helped him to be at Mallorca a month sooner. 

15 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I am sure you wouldn't argue that it wouldn't have helped him to be at Mallorca a month sooner. 

No for sure.  It would have helped. 

I am just disappointed that this is the way one of our top players chose to approach this huge opportunity.  It reminds me of my son's attitude sometimes.  He has some talent, but doesn't put in the extra effort to make the next step.  He always said he would go the extra mile if he made the team (whatever that next team was at the time), not recognizing that you achieve that goal precisely by putting in the work.  To me this is sort of like Larin waiting for the contract resolution to get started rather than getting started knowing that it would serve him well if/when it materialized.  

3 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

No for sure.  It would have helped. 

I am just disappointed that this is the way one of our top players chose to approach this huge opportunity.  It reminds me of my son's attitude sometimes.  He has some talent, but doesn't put in the extra effort to make the next step.  He always said he would go the extra mile if he made the team (whatever that next team was at the time), not recognizing that you achieve that goal precisely by putting in the work.  To me this is sort of like Larin waiting for the contract resolution to get started rather than getting started knowing that it would serve him well if/when it materialized.  

Yeah that makes sense. The weird thing is that I followed him on IG and based on his posts and in the past he put in a lot of gym work and extra training - during his Besiktas days. It's social media so who knows how representative that was, nor can we say that it represents the current situation, but it makes me question how unfit he truly was when he joined Mallorca. Is it something that was blown out of proportion? David was unfit when he arrived at Lille too, but in his case he was visibly bigger after months of inactivity. Larin didn't physically look unfit to me at any point. 

In any case, if the club says you are unfit there is something to it. He's fit now and not scoring. That to me is confidence and maybe how he is being used. And it's the latter that makes me say that about Mallorca. You bring in a big piece but he comes in late in part to your diddling around with negotiation. You save a million or so, but you don't get as much out of him. 

I wonder if they would have traded a million (or whatever they saved) to have Larin on a handful of goals right now?

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

Yeah that makes sense. The weird thing is that I followed him on IG and based on his posts and in the past he put in a lot of gym work and extra training - during his Besiktas days. It's social media so who knows how representative that was, nor can we say that it represents the current situation, but it makes me question how unfit he truly was when he joined Mallorca. Is it something that was blown out of proportion? David was unfit when he arrived at Lille too, but in his case he was visibly bigger after months of inactivity. Larin didn't physically look unfit to me at any point. 

In any case, if the club says you are unfit there is something to it. He's fit now and not scoring. That to me is confidence and maybe how he is being used. And it's the latter that makes me say that about Mallorca. You bring in a big piece but he comes in late in part to your diddling around with negotiation. You save a million or so, but you don't get as much out of him. 

I wonder if they would have traded a million (or whatever they saved) to have Larin on a handful of goals right now?

He basically missed about 10 days to 2 weeks of preseason, but he played international matches, and those players often come back later to preseason. It was, as you say, exaggerated a bit by Aguirre. At least I think so. 

Remember he had to go to Jamaica to sort out his citizenship, which made him more attractive for the transfer, as he does not occupy a foreign spot. Then, he could have gone to train a few days with Valladolid, but not going was part of the pressure to get the transfer done. 

I mean, by mid October he had to be in stride, the last 6 weeks or so there is no excuse. He missed a chance to beat Barça, missed the net, he had a breakaway last match to win it, over 2 months I'd say he's had 7-8 good chances, maybe one a game, and none have gone in.