Cyle Larin

shermanator

14 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I realise what you were doing 😏

I am critical of Canada because we yap a lot lately and have done little of anything. I watched Canada at the LA Olympics, I mean, we had better results in '84 than recently.

I would like us to do the walk, so maybe this is it. You have to build that mentality, then apply it. It isn't easy. Spain at least has medalled consistently for 20 years and has been, objectively, the second best basketball nation in the world over that period. Based on results. Spain has a lot of camaraderie, a strong national spirit, and most players are committed (except maybe those guys like Mirotic or Ibaka who were nationalised). Even using ex-NBA rejects and kids from the Spanish league no one has ever heard of.

I agree with you about the US, they've played themselves into a hole a few times this tournament, and just lost to Lithuania. Italy must be pissed they won their group to play the US. I think the US has to be clear favourite, and Canada's draw, iirc EDIT: we'd face the winner of Lithuania-Serbia, harder semis I'd say.

Canada's coach I think was assistant at Sacramento but is from Badalona near Barcelona, a big basketball haven. Interestingly, Scariolo the Spain coach was assistant with the Raptors.

I agree- I’m more inclined to discuss “on paper” team strength in basketball Vs soccer because it’s more rare to get your best players all on the same team vs the world’s best player than it is in soccer, but we’re relatively close to our best team this time, so it’s time to see what our guys really have. We’ve disappointed with strong rosters before- the COVID Olympic qualifiers in Victoria comes to mine, but this time around the team sounds bought in, we’re playing good team basketball- even a lot of the NBA talking heads are giving Canada our flowers for how good we look, it feels like if there was ever a time for us to win, it’s now.

I hope that a strong finish encourages the rest of our hold outs to commit to the olympics. I think we’ll see Murray, but I hope Wiggins comes back, I’d like to see Mathurin, maybe Boucher, Birch, Shaedon Sharp would be a nice addition too- Nemberhard, etc. The US will likely bring their Dream Team and Greece, Serbia will be fully stocked, but it would be a shame if we never see this generation’s full roster compete to their potential. 

I haven’t had a chance to watch much to Lithuania or Serbia- inclined to think we can beat either team, but they’re good. I was surprised to see Serbia handle DR so decisively; DR has KAT and a few very solid NBA players while I think Serbia has Bogdanovic and an assortment of European players. I think they won by like 45 or something. 

54 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

I agree- I’m more inclined to discuss “on paper” team strength in basketball Vs soccer because it’s more rare to get your best players all on the same team vs the world’s best player than it is in soccer, but we’re relatively close to our best team this time, so it’s time to see what our guys really have. We’ve disappointed with strong rosters before- the COVID Olympic qualifiers in Victoria comes to mine, but this time around the team sounds bought in, we’re playing good team basketball- even a lot of the NBA talking heads are giving Canada our flowers for how good we look, it feels like if there was ever a time for us to win, it’s now.

I hope that a strong finish encourages the rest of our hold outs to commit to the olympics. I think we’ll see Murray, but I hope Wiggins comes back, I’d like to see Mathurin, maybe Boucher, Birch, Shaedon Sharp would be a nice addition too- Nemberhard, etc. The US will likely bring their Dream Team and Greece, Serbia will be fully stocked, but it would be a shame if we never see this generation’s full roster compete to their potential. 

I haven’t had a chance to watch much to Lithuania or Serbia- inclined to think we can beat either team, but they’re good. I was surprised to see Serbia handle DR so decisively; DR has KAT and a few very solid NBA players while I think Serbia has Bogdanovic and an assortment of European players. I think they won by like 45 or something. 

We're probably boring the die-hard Cyle fans....watched a good part of the Canada-Spain, while also watching Mallorca. I liked how Jordi Fernández was tough on the players, in one time out in the late 2nd quarter he went through the five on the floor and told each what they were not doing, one by one, out loud. Two or three things they were not executing each.

Then said leave complaining about the refs to me, I'll complain to the refs and you play. 

50 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

We're probably boring the die-hard Cyle fans....

Yeah guys it's getting a bit much. I know you like international basketball but I have refreshed this page 3 or 4 times now  see what's going on with Larin and it's like....oh right....they still talking about basketball.....okay check back later....damn....still talking about it.....okay check back later.....damn still at it

22 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Aguirre spoke about Larin at length in the press conference but you basketball haters can eat bird droppings, I'm posting what he said on my chess.com forum.

I like basketball, just not in the Larin thread, especially when you've been providing such awesome updates on him, Aguirre, and Mallorca. Doesn't help the most valuable poster in the thread (you) is now ironically the one polluting it with the most crap. Not sure if I am not sure if I am going to be getting excellent info...or pure unlreated shit whenever I see you bump the thread.

Maybe I will just stay away from the thread until FIBA WC is done. Problem solved. Carry on as you were!

6 hours ago, MauditYvon said:

Not sure, but add Murray and Wiggins to that line-up and we should play for a medal in Paris 2024. Roster is young, Los Angeles 2028 and 2027 WC could also be fun.

Wiggins needs a change of attitude to play on this team as a team player, I think. He has not been very connected to the group for awhile.

10 hours ago, DeRo_Is_King said:

Here's the Aguirre interview. He starts talking about Larin at around three minutes. Says he could do more. Mentions the fact that he's been on a break for a month. Just turn on captions and auto-translate to English:

He also says Larin was at 15%, then 40…then he says maybe 60 now.  But he's also hard on Muriqi, who missed two penalties, he says Lato isn't entirely fit. He says Darder was in shape and is a leader but the team still needs to fit him in, says Samu Costa came game fit and it shows. They have that CB from Belgium who's not used to LaLiga. Etc.

Also admits it's good to get a clean sheet vs a team that was better than them.

I just see him as pressuring his guys. Compared to Muriqi, Cyle didn't have intensity yesterday and needs to fight a lot more in defense, off the ball.

I have tix for Girona-Mallorca on Sept 24th, that's an hour north of Barcelona. About 35 euros, not expensive.

If any Vs can be through BCN, I'm driving up; or if you are in the south of France, please join me. Otherwise I don't think Mallorca visits Barcelona until early March.

[50-50 at the half in quarter finals vs. Slovenia and Doncic, we are right there in a very well played bb game ;) ]

24 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I have tix for Girona-Mallorca on Sept 24th, that's an hour north of Barcelona. About 35 euros, not expensive.

If any Vs can be through BCN, I'm driving up; or if you are in the south of France, please join me. Otherwise I don't think Mallorca visits Barcelona until early March.

[50-50 at the half in quarter finals vs. Slovenia and Doncic, we are right there in a very well played bb game ;) ]

For the record I am liking your comment for the Girona-Mallorca match, not the bb game ;)

45 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Huge result for Canada Basketball.   Off to the semis.   

Just thought you would be waiting for the update.  

Doncic self eliminated himself stupidly with a second technical, all game playing more for the foul than the win. 

We were very solid all around and managed it excellently. We play strong FIBA bb.

Jovic and Bogdanovic next.

Cyle Larin will be pleased 😄

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

On 9/6/2023 at 11:19 AM, Unnamed Trialist said:

Doncic self eliminated himself stupidly with a second technical, all game playing more for the foul than the win. 

We were very solid all around and managed it excellently. We play strong FIBA bb.

Jovic and Bogdanovic next.

Cyle Larin will be pleased 😄

I thought Jovic declined. Gonna be a great game nonetheless. 

On 9/3/2023 at 9:04 PM, Stoppage Time said:

Wiggins needs a change of attitude to play on this team as a team player, I think. He has not been very connected to the group for awhile.

It's wild how this narrative has formed. Wiggins has played every Olympic cycle. He led our team, when many didn't show up, in the last major event, which was Olympic qualifying in 2021.  He's played 17 times in 3 tournaments, including some far off destinations. He declined making a 3 year commitment coming off a championship season

Meanwhile murray has never played for us since being drafted, and his excuse this year is that he's coming off a championship and everyone's just like yeah cool np see you next year 

*my bad my bad you're right there's a better thread for this

Edited by Mattd97

Almost done....So we really were never close vs Serbia, at no time did we get a decent run to challenge them. They were excellent. 

Then Germany took down the US, with Kerr confused about basic FIBA rules and no one defending for the States; which makes our bid for a medal, after such a long dry spell, all the harder.

Cyle would take it sapiently.

On 9/8/2023 at 12:30 PM, Unnamed Trialist said:

Almost done....So we really were never close vs Serbia, at no time did we get a decent run to challenge them. They were excellent. 

Then Germany took down the US, with Kerr confused about basic FIBA rules and no one defending for the States; which makes our bid for a medal, after such a long dry spell, all the harder.

Cyle would take it sapiently.

Mission accomplished.

Full-on Cyle Larin coverage will resume shortly.