Cyle Larin

shermanator

In the press conference after, Aguirre did not seem concerned about the penalty, says it was a bit iffy but he understood it seemed the support hand went down to stop the ball and was not planted yet.

Then he mentioned he did have a shot and a header that went off. More concerning, he repeated Cyle is not ready to start yet. Then, that they are hoping they get to see the player they saw last year. 

As Muriqi the other striker missed his second penalty in just three games, they had an own goal against, they are dealing with captain Raillo's long-term injury, it was not the only issue at hand. And that a point in 3 games was not yet a concern as the season is long.

24 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

He hasn't helped himself by being out of shape to start the season.  

I'm personally not convinced he really is out of shape. He's played 30 min two weeks in a row with no problem. He had a muscular problem that made him miss one full training session. I never saw him struggle to play 90 for Valladolid after getting no minutes at Bruges.

My opinion is that Aguirre wants to pressure him a bit. Then he also might be reticent to play two strikers from the start. So it's convenient not to start him for other reasons.

4 minutes ago, MtlMario said:

Who are you cheering for?

Just kidding😁

No, it's a good question. I'm sort of split as I have no connection with most of the Canadian players. My feeling is that Canada has to damn well step up, even without Murray there can't be more excuses. Look at the Spain roster, it's full of marginal, peripheral players. 

But Spain is leading at the half, the basketball IQ is very high.

5 minutes ago, Ivan said:

Brooks and Dort will need to limit Doncic, while hopefully Shae devours whomever will be guarding him.

Germany wiped Slovenia off the map yesterday, Schroder the Raptors guard matched Luka the whole way. Another thing is that so far, in the NBA, Doncic does not play to win, he plays for his own stats. Even Dragic has to play second fiddle, if Luka has an off day Canada can win.

FIBA basketball is very different, numbers are lower, the pace is slower, it is more of a grind, and you have to be ready for it. You don't get the runs and the hot streaks are shorter. Doncic at least understands FIBA rules well, something most if not all the Canadians are not used to. 

Anyways, what Canada really needs is for Murray to be healthy and committed for the Olympics next summer.

19 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Great game, Spain had no answer for SGA. This might be our year. 

Saying Spain had no answer when Canada was losing by 10 at the half only won in the last 30 seconds is a bit of an overstatement. And this is the weakest Spain team since before Pau Gasol came along.

The most important thing SGA did all game was hit his free throws in the crucial moments.

Still, the important thing for Canada is to get through, however they do it, because you can never build a legacy if you can't win the tight games. 

33 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Saying Spain had no answer when Canada was losing by 10 at the half only won in the last 30 seconds is a bit of an overstatement. And this is the weakest Spain team since before Pau Gasol came along.

The most important thing SGA did all game was hit his free throws in the crucial moments.

Still, the important thing for Canada is to get through, however they do it, because you can never build a legacy if you can't win the tight games. 

Mostly just talking shit, I remember we had a discussion on here a while back about how Canada was not up to the level of teams like Spain and Argentina, which I disagreed, given our influx of really good NBA players over the last few years. Still, this is a really good team, and while I think we’re still liable to lose a game against some of the better teams in the tournament, the US has shown weak spots too, and a few things go right and we might actually end up in the finals, if not pulling a massive upset to win it all.

I haven’t watched Slovenia yet, but I’m hoping they’re more or less just the Luka show. We have some great man on man defenders who should be able to slow him down and force his teammates to make shots. 

16 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Mostly just talking shit, I remember we had a discussion on here a while back about how Canada was not up to the level of teams like Spain and Argentina, which I disagreed, given our influx of really good NBA players over the last few years. Still, this is a really good team, and while I think we’re still liable to lose a game against some of the better teams in the tournament, the US has shown weak spots too, and a few things go right and we might actually end up in the finals, if not pulling a massive upset to win it all.

I haven’t watched Slovenia yet, but I’m hoping they’re more or less just the Luka show. We have some great man on man defenders who should be able to slow him down and force his teammates to make shots. 

I realise what you were doing 😏

I am critical of Canada because we yap a lot lately and have done little of anything. I watched Canada at the LA Olympics, I mean, we had better results in '84 than recently.

I would like us to do the walk, so maybe this is it. You have to build that mentality, then apply it. It isn't easy. Spain at least has medalled consistently for 20 years and has been, objectively, the second best basketball nation in the world over that period. Based on results. Spain has a lot of camaraderie, a strong national spirit, and most players are committed (except maybe those guys like Mirotic or Ibaka who were nationalised). Even using ex-NBA rejects and kids from the Spanish league no one has ever heard of.

I agree with you about the US, they've played themselves into a hole a few times this tournament, and just lost to Lithuania. Italy must be pissed they won their group to play the US. I think the US has to be clear favourite, and Canada's draw, iirc EDIT: we'd face the winner of Lithuania-Serbia, harder semis I'd say.

Canada's coach I think was assistant at Sacramento but is from Badalona near Barcelona, a big basketball haven. Interestingly, Scariolo the Spain coach was assistant with the Raptors.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist