Cyle Larin

shermanator

43 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

As I said, he's native of Mallorca, it was a very natural move for the guy and with big sentimental value for fans and the club. I am surprised by the possible price though, that is a lot for a senior mid coming off a relegation season.

Would this take any pressure off Larin (assuming there is pressure)? The price tag is pretty much what they are paying for Larin, so he's not the only high profile signing price wise.

Or, say Larin doesn't meet goal scoring expectations, would it be worse now that they've brought in the playmaker to help him score the goals?

5 hours ago, Obinna said:

Would this take any pressure off Larin (assuming there is pressure)? The price tag is pretty much what they are paying for Larin, so he's not the only high profile signing price wise.

Or, say Larin doesn't meet goal scoring expectations, would it be worse now that they've brought in the playmaker to help him score the goals?

I don't know about the money they paid, if he'll feel pressured by that. I don't think he has that much pressure since he's on a five year contract. Sure, he has to score, but more important is for the team to stay up consistently over the course of his contract.

Darder, he is actually going for more than Larin, which surprises me really, 8 million plus 2 in variables. Darder scored six last year, is a leader on the pitch, assists, and is very skilled, a great acquisition as I have been saying. 

The first decent chance I'll have to see Mallorca is at Girona at the end of September.

Feel like Larin is made for that pressure though. He always plays his best when he's playing games that matter- for Canada, Beskitas, the RV relegation battle, etc. Feel like if he's surrounded by all these guys that have high expectations- I'm sure Mallorca thinks they can maybe push for Europe, I think that'll bring the best out of him.

Something else will make Mallorca fun to follow: the coach Javier Aguirre. He's Mexican, and probably the funniest coach we've seen, a huge sense of humour, always using very colloquial Mexican phrases and swear words. He's able to use the full repertoire of Mexican insults in an endearing way. Tends to be very good humoured, which I think affects his players positively. 

When they asked him why he'd signed for Mallorca, he said "I heard that the father of Javier Aguirre was from here, a guy named Javier Aguirre." Sort of an absurd comment, because his nickname is "el Vasco", the Basque, because his last name is Basque (like many surnames in Latin America). It was like saying he did not know his own origins or had gotten confused.

After a player scored a great winner on a free kick he was asked what he said, and he replied "I suppose I told him very good 'hijo de tu puta madre, bien Oscarito cabrón, qué tirazo la puta madre que te parió." Referring to the whore of a mother that gave birth to you can be an insult or high praise, depending on how you use it.

Another time after losing a game stupidly, he was asked what he said to his players, and he commented something like I was so mad I just went home, had a few gin tonics, and by the time I came back the next day I'd forgotten about it all.

Aguirre is not a coach for top teams, he's a coach for mid to lower level, but effective.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

7 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

After a player scored a great winner on a free kick he was asked what he said, and he replied "I suppose I told him very good 'hijo de tu puta madre, bien Oscarito cabrón, qué tirazo la puta madre que te parió." Referring to the whore of a mother that gave birth to you can be an insult or high praise, depending on how you use it.

I take it the feminine form of the word is ok, sort of?  Or would that one get you banned too?

Edited by GasPed

4 hours ago, GasPed said:

I take it the feminine form of the word is ok, sort of?  Or would that one get you banned too?

Normally, no, if you say "tu puta madre", your mother the whore, to a ref, that is a red card and maybe more than one game out. And justifiably. So no, it's not okay, unless there is a context that makes it so.

In another context people say "viva la madre que te parió", the "viva mother that gave birth to you", in admiration. And often can add "viva la puta madre que te parió", which could sound like an insult, but could also be an emphasis, "that amazing mother who gave birth to you". 

Like in many languages, a Spanish a swear word is not an objective fact, it depends how it is used. My father in law used to hold my son his grandson when a baby and lovingly say to himself "me cago en dios", basically "I shit on g-d", , which was like saying I can't believe what a lovely kid this is (he normally said this in Catalan, similar "em cago en Déu")

Like in English, an s.o.b. can be really an s.o.b. or a person you admire because they did something amazing. Same with "puto",  for me it is stupid they centred on that word, that cheer. In Spain they say "cabrón" for opposing keeper goalkicks, literally a male goat or ram but really "bastard". 

What I like about Aguirre is how he uses this really rich, filthy Mexican swearing in a way that is charming and funny,  words don't have single objective meanings and less so in translation. His press conferences are almost always great entertainment.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

Swearing is funny when you break it down. If they call you "el puto amo", it's actually quite the supportive compliment. 

Interestingly about "cabrón", while in English it can probably better be interpreted better as "bastard" for how lightly/frequently it is used, but it can actually refer to a "cuckhold". The word literally means male goat, an animal that would understandably have large horns. In a similar spirit to the Italian "cornuto". 

And if we were to look at "bastard", it literally refers to a child born out of wedlock, but I suppose because of social attitudes this evolved to mean an unpleasant man/person. 

Languages are fun. 

1 hour ago, CCrTFC said:

Swearing is funny when you break it down. If they call you "el puto amo", it's actually quite the supportive compliment. 

Interestingly about "cabrón", while in English it can probably better be interpreted better as "bastard" for how lightly/frequently it is used, but it can actually refer to a "cuckhold". The word literally means male goat, an animal that would understandably have large horns. In a similar spirit to the Italian "cornuto". 

And if we were to look at "bastard", it literally refers to a child born out of wedlock, but I suppose because of social attitudes this evolved to mean an unpleasant man/person. 

Languages are fun. 

My first Latin professor was this tiny 80 year old woman but she loved her some Catullus. 

The first line of one of his poems is - Pediccbo ego vos et irrumabo - definetely be careful who's around when you translate that.   It's a counter to poets who insulted him. 

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

9 hours ago, jdheid said:

Anyone know if TSN will be streaming it? Don't see anything on their site.

It's on TSN+ but free preview ended a couple of days ago.

If you subscribe to TSN's linear channels, TSN+ is now another $80/yr.

Or you can stream TSN with TSN+ for $200/yr.

https://www.tsn.ca/subscribe#tsnplus-preview

Edited by red card

Did not watch. Did not see comments on his 30 minutes on the field. They say Mallorca dominated once Darder came on at the half and with the new signings on the pitch. Some Las Palmas fans felt they did well, others felt Mallorca deserved to win in the end.

There's a consensus amongst many non-Mallorca fans that they have a very good team and should rival to be in the top half of the table. 

Larin came on at the 60' minute and had an indirect impact on the goal Mallorca scored. I thought Aguirre would have subbed Larin for Muriqi but he kept both of them on. These are two big guys that Las Palmas had to especially worry about on the corner kick that Mallorca scored. The second half was very frantic and lacked continuity with constant whistles. Larin had some touches and did well. He didn't make any significant error. Muriqi missed a penalty shot and this may bode well for Larin as he's competing for that striker role. He's in Aguirre's rotation, which is great to see, but I don't think formations and partnerships are figured out yet because this team is still pretty raw. 

Just now, RojitoTO said:

Larin came on at the 60' minute and had an indirect impact on the goal Mallorca scored. I thought Aguirre would have subbed Larin for Muriqi but he kept both of them on. These are two big guys that Las Palmas had to especially worry about on the corner kick that Mallorca scored. The second half was very frantic and lacked continuity with constant whistles. Larin had some touches and did well. He didn't make any significant error. Muriqi missed a penalty shot and this may bode well for Larin as he's competing for that striker role. He's in Aguirre's rotation, which is great to see, but I don't think formations and partnerships are figured out yet because this team is still pretty raw. 

Thanks, good summary. Did he play behind or beside Muriqi?

On 8/11/2023 at 4:02 PM, Unnamed Trialist said:

Something else will make Mallorca fun to follow: the coach Javier Aguirre. He's Mexican, and probably the funniest coach we've seen, a huge sense of humour, always using very colloquial Mexican phrases and swear words. He's able to use the full repertoire of Mexican insults in an endearing way. Tends to be very good humoured, which I think affects his players positively. 

When they asked him why he'd signed for Mallorca, he said "I heard that the father of Javier Aguirre was from here, a guy named Javier Aguirre." Sort of an absurd comment, because his nickname is "el Vasco", the Basque, because his last name is Basque (like many surnames in Latin America). It was like saying he did not know his own origins or had gotten confused.

Another time after losing a game stupidly, he was asked what he said to his players, and he commented something like I was so mad I just went home, had a few gin tonics, and by the time I came back the next day I'd forgotten about it all.

Aguirre is not a coach for top teams, he's a coach for mid to lower level, but effective.

Just do NOT mention anybody's sister (Tu hermana...). There is zero chance of alternate meaning with that. that is the closest thing to a death sentence in  Latin America.

Just now, Kadenge said:

How the heck did the Honduran Lozano end up at Getafe? He did piss all at Cadiz and has not been a factor for his National team

Someone needs to tell the story of our player agents and agencies, methinks. Lozano has an agent with plenty of lower middle class players in La Liga, and he's probably fine with a relatively low salary.

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Someone needs to tell the story of our player agents and agencies, methinks. Lozano has an agent with plenty of lower middle class players in La Liga, and he's probably fine with a relatively low salary.

guess it just goes to show that it's not just ability/performance that can land you at a strong club & league

30 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

guess it just goes to show that it's not just ability/performance that can land you at a strong club & league

It's like we are not getting full value for our players considering our rising reputation in world football. It is still like pulling teeth, then a bit player like Weah at Lille ends up on a top Serie A team as if it were nothing. We don't seem to fall into these premium spots, it's like we have to more than deserve them before we get them. 

I do think having ambitious, seasoned agents helps when it comes to finding these contracts. 

Need to also consider the bang for the buck - what is more useful investment for Juve?  One David or 4 Weah-level players? Or one Weah and saving the rest of the cash for the inevitable scandal they will be tied up in.

As someone else mentioned on here, there seems to be limited market for upper high-end players.  Teams are happier spreading their risk.  That being said, I saw that Chelsea has spent 900M pounds on players since the Americans bought them last year!