Cyle Larin

shermanator

52 minutes ago, Shway said:

With some time to come back and finish in MLS....or CPL.

I don't think some fans are aware that the terms in which he left MLS almost certainly preclude any sort of return. 

He basically challenged an aspect of MLS rules that are not recognised by FIFA, exposing a major flaw, and a discriminatory one at that. His relationship with MLS ended in adversarial fashion, I don't think he has any possibility of coming back to MLS given their contracts are owned by the league.

12 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I don't think some fans are aware that the terms in which he left MLS almost certainly preclude any sort of return. 

He basically challenged an aspect of MLS rules that are not recognised by FIFA, exposing a major flaw, and a discriminatory one at that. His relationship with MLS ended in adversarial fashion, I don't think he has any possibility of coming back to MLS given their contracts are owned by the league.

Meh, feel like it's water under the bridge. 
If he wants to finish in Toronto I'm sure it's possible.

On 7/31/2023 at 7:50 AM, cornerkick said:

Just think it should be said that they paid half his Bruges salary, which I think was just over 2 million. So technically that is a 2.5 million investment in the player, 1.5 buyout and 1 million in salary, and the benefit including the cost of his services would be 5.5 million, including this last month a bit less.

I think when they activated the buyout he went to the 2nd division salary, something like half the La Liga salary, so he's been on that for a month, somewhat less than 100k euros.

The market really is flat. Fresneda, the 18 year old fullback, was touted to go to Arsenal or Dortmund for 20 million, and now it seems Barça and Real Madrid are offering less than 10 million to Valladolid, who are preparing counter offers. 

4 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

He wasn't the first to do it. Camilo left under similar circumstances. I think both could come back, if a club in MLS actually wanted them.

4 hours ago, Watchmen said:

He wasn't the first to do it. Camilo left under similar circumstances. I think both could come back, if a club in MLS actually wanted them.

Everything is possible, of course.

But it would be the equivalent of taking your former employee to court for illegal practices, which was in fact the case (the MLS unilateral contract extension without the player's consent), then a few years later, with the same management in place, voluntarily going back to work for the same company.

Neither they'd take you nor you'd want to go.

Both Camilo and Larin left in very acrimonious circumstances, the only reason MLS did not press either case is because they are in the wrong and they'd be exposed if it went to arbitration.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

Mundo Deportivo just reported an hour ago that the deal is closed for 7.5, variables would take it up to 8.2 million euros.

https://www.mundodeportivo.com/futbol/fichajes/20230802/1002046960/acuerdo-cerrado-cyle-larin.html

AS has a picture of him on arrival in Palma de Mallorca at 7pm local time. He would technically have to do the medical first and then, perhaps tomorrow midday local time, sign and do the presentation.

https://as.com/futbol/cyle-larin-ya-esta-en-palma-n/

In declarations to regional tv he said he hoped to play in the final friendly vs. La Spezia (Serie B  team, scheduled for Sunday in their training stadium) if the coach so chooses. So he feels he is game fit.

What all sources agree on is that he was one of the "revelation" players of the second half of the season, his credit is high.

Cyle Larin en su llegada al aeropuerto de Palma

So why was I wrong and no other stronger club chose to come in and steal him for a bit more? Maybe he preferred to go where he was wanted, where he seemed to have negotiated terms, and that is what convinced Valladolid to make the deal and not delay hoping for a better one.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

So those are references to the long waits often required to elect a new Pope: they are saying it took as long and the wait was as nerve wracking. Fumata bianca, the white smoke that is sent out of the chimney of the Sixtine Chapel when a new Pope is finally elected. If they don't get enough votes, the tradition said they'd burn the ballots and it would come out black. Fumata, it is like a eureka, a "finally it is here".

Urbi et orbi is the papal benediction, the formula is that as the bishop of Rome he addresses himself to those parishioners (urbe, the city), and as the Pope he addresses himself to the entire world (orbi).

https://www.rcdmallorca.es/noticias/el-rcd-mallorca-ficha-a-cyle-larin

Larin trained today Friday with the team, they say his is on form and would likely get minutes in the friendly vs. La Spezia this weekend. 

Now I want to see Mallorca pick up Espanyol mid, Sergi Darder, who is from Mallorca. He's a great veteran talent, too good for 2nd division, and would really make the whole team tick, he has attacking vision, leadership, work rate, a superb player. Just having him would improve Larin's scoring numbers for sure.

33 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Their friendly vs La Spezia is being streamed on their YouTube channel, m 60 he's not come on yet.

On a few minutes ago.

Played the more withdrawn of 2 strikers.  A few nice touches holding up the ball. Mallorca score after he came on.

Taking it easy on the press, which would be expected in his first few minutes of the season.

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

Just now, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

On a few minutes ago.

Played the more withdrawn of 2 strikers.  A few nice touches holding up the ball. Mallorca score after he came on.

Taking it easy on the press, which would be expected in his first few minutes of the season.

Exactly. With Muriqi looks like he'll have the mobility to come back receive and play-make. At Valladolid he'd do that and still have to return to the sole striker position. 

The announcers were pleased with his play, though back to square one with the pronunciation of the name.

Mallorca don't look that sharp to be frank. They need a creative mid, better positional play, and maybe the backs getting into synch with the keeper.

4 minutes ago, PegCityCam said:

Mallorca buying...

Excellent news if true, that will be a signing to really help the team. He's a superb player, probably the best player on Espanyol last season.

In other news they say Pablo Maffeo may be sold to Barça, so that would be a loss. But it could explain the willingness to pay that much.