Cyle Larin

shermanator

Mallorca offering players along with the money for Larin, who's in Jamaica. Rejected. Also, more importantly, they say rarely has Mallorca insisted on a player so much. So the deal is close, between 7 and 8 with variables. Seems Larin wants to return to Spain a Mallorca player.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/pucelafichajes.com/2023/07/esports-ib3-el-real-valladolid-rechaza-incluir-a-clement-grenier-en-la-operacion-cyle-larin/amp/

He's back in Valladolid with his Jamaican passport, which means he won't count as non-EU for La Liga. 

https://www.eldesmarque.com/futbol/mercado-de-fichajes/20230727/logra-su-objetivo-larin-de-vuelta-a-valladolid_300047138.html

Guy hasn't trained for quite a while, he's going to need to get game fit fast.

24 minutes ago, Big_M said:

counting as non-eu is a very big deal

I think there will now be offers from other clubs, leaving Mallorca in the lurch.

It does depend on what Larin thinks, as he seems to have rejected going to Montpellier and to a Mexican club. He has negotiated terms with Mallorca, so that is the basis for a relationship, the expression of interest tells him it'd be a good contract for him. I doubt he'd turn his back to them for anything just marginally better.

But he may accept a club clearly stronger than Mallorca, if RV says the offer to buy him is far better. This is always a tough questions, but then, the same thing is happening with Mbappe, a much bigger offer came into PSG for him from Saudi Arabia, but he rejected going there. So PSG can't impose what for them would be a far more lucrative sale.

Just now, yomurphy1 said:

You'd think an agent would have had him do this years ago... 

Good point, but he hasn't been on contract to a European team for more than a year. He signed for Bruges last summer, and then I'm not sure what the rules are in Belgium, maybe it didn't matter. So it's only clearly mattered since January.

Jude Bellingham is doing the same thing as Larin, getting an Irish passport to qualify as EU:

We suffer through lost dual nationals but there’s no national team in the world that is more heartbreaking to follow than Ireland. We’re heartbroken over Tomori, meanwhile Ireland could probably go deep into the World Cup if they had all of their players. 

14 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Jude Bellingham is doing the same thing as Larin, getting an Irish passport to qualify as EU:

We suffer through lost dual nationals but there’s no national team in the world that is more heartbreaking to follow than Ireland. We’re heartbroken over Tomori, meanwhile Ireland could probably go deep into the World Cup if they had all of their players. 

I’m guessing you are referring to  Bellingham, Rice and Grealish?… but they weren’t born in Ireland, just have Irish grandparents… I think all of their parents were born in England too but could be wrong.  It’s more likely Ireland is advantaged and poaches an English player who doesn’t make the cut.  

Tomori was born in Canada, so we should be feeling a lot more hard done by. 

Edited by TOcanadafan

46 minutes ago, TOcanadafan said:

I’m guessing you are referring to  Bellingham, Rice and Grealish?… but they weren’t born in Ireland, just have Irish grandparents… I think all of their parents were born in England too but could be wrong.  It’s more likely Ireland is advantaged and poaches an English player who doesn’t make the cut.  

Tomori was born in Canada, so we should be feeling a lot more hard done by. 

There are more, but yeah those are the main (add our very own Alistair Johnston, but he was never a part of their system) guys. Rice and Grealish both played for Ireland before they played for an England though. I think at least one of them captained one of their youth teams too.

5 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

There are more, but yeah those are the main (add our very own Alistair Johnston, but he was never a part of their system) guys. Rice and Grealish both played for Ireland before they played for an England though. I think at least one of them captained one of their youth teams too.

That’s true, Rice & Grealish both played in their youth teams so Ireland probably thought they had a shot at them

If he signs, which seems sure, I can't see him training before Tuesday if that, giving him 10 days to get into the group and the system and bring up fitness again.

Mallorca just drew Sunderland 1-1 in a friendly, and La Liga starts in 2 weeks. They are away to newly promoted Las Palmas first fixture. Home to Villarreal, away to Granada, home to Athletic Club, not a terribly hard start for them. 

They play in Son Moix, a medium to small stadium capacity 23,000, similar to Valladolid. They are also, like RV, remodelling the stadium in phases, it used to have a track and that is out. It is only a couple km from the centre of the city, Palma de Mallorca, the capital. 

The president is US former tennis pro Andy Kohlberg who is Sarver's partner at Phoenix Suns, Steve Nash has shares as well but pulled back after taking the Nets job, not sure if now he can re-engage a a board member.

Mallorca is Catalan speaking, with a dialect called Mallorquin which is quite unique, a bit hard to understand; indeed on each Balearic island they have their variation. One thing they all do on the islands differently is use different articles, so: "la" is "sa", "el" is "son", "las" is "ses", and "los" is "sos". If you hear Mallorcans speak is sounds (exagerrating) like "ses sa si sa ses sos" between the rest of the words.

Rafa Nadal, to give an example, speaks Mallorquin with his family at home, changes to standard Catalan when called to, also speaks Spanish of course. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

Latest: today Valladolid fired its sporting director, Fran Sánchez, who was Larin's confidant, the guy who scouted him at Bruges, and probably was key in the deal to sell him. Him and his entire team at the club. Apparently the same day the club was negotiating the sale of Fresneda, the teen fullback, to Real Madrid.

Not sure of the motivations, it seems odd. But it could affect the sale if RV considers one of the causes for removal is how he is handling this transfer specifically.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist