Cyle Larin

shermanator

Pellegrini wants him for Betis, from Chilean websites and repeated all over the Spanish press.

https://www.minutod.com/internacional/2023/7/12/quiere-dejar-su-club-pero-hay-competencia-el-delantero-que-busca-manuel-pellegini-46729.html

Betis even better than Mallorca, and the way things are going with Valencia, by far the best team to go to of those reported interested.

38 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Pellegrini wants him for Betis, from Chilean websites and repeated all over the Spanish press.

https://www.minutod.com/internacional/2023/7/12/quiere-dejar-su-club-pero-hay-competencia-el-delantero-que-busca-manuel-pellegini-46729.html

Betis even better than Mallorca, and the way things are going with Valencia, by far the best team to go to of those reported interested.

I like Pellegrini, his huge blind spots aside. Tries to play the right way.  Would love that for Larin. 

The sporting director of Real Valladolid Fran Sánchez says they have 2 or 3 offers for Larin, insinuates the market is still a bit flat in Spain so far, and says Larin will have to join the team in pre-season training by the end of the week. Meaning Friday, Saturday. The statement is from Wednesday the 12th it seems.

https://pucelafichajes.com/2023/07/fran-sanchez-nos-han-llegado-ofertas-en-firme-de-dos-o-tres-clubes-por-cyle-larin/

4 hours ago, narduch said:

Linked to Mallorca. 

I really suspect some unimagined team will step up and end up taking him. They won't say as they don't want prices to push up. They're waiting on their own transfers out, to see where they can spend. Waiting because there's plenty of time as well.

So this tweet: once Mallorca "settles" another club will walk in with a slightly higher bid matching the salary level. And I doubt Larin will have any problems with it, since it'll likely be a team with a higher upside.

I like Villarreal amongst the Liga teams not in the rumour mill. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

The Mallorca story stays alive: they say that Mallorca has spoken to the player (or agent) and they've agreed on terms. Meaning if Valladolid can get the price they want he would approve it. This from Mundo Deportivo, a Barcelona daily.

https://www.mundodeportivo.com/futbol/mallorca/20230716/1002039027/cyle-larin.html

I still think some other club will jump in to try to grab him by bettering the terms of sale and meeting or bettering the contract offered.

8 minutes ago, maccaliam said:

It really doesn’t reflect well on Club Brugge’s former coaching staff, and other decision makers. 

It doesn't, but I think it also just goes to show how much money there is in the game. Larin isn't even their worst fumble last year- they bought Yaremchuk for 16 million and he got glued to the bench shortly thereafter. They signed Larin on a free, made 1.5 off of him and he'll now likely get RV at least 6 million. They lost 16M on Yaremchuk and I'd be shocked to see them recoup even a quarter of that. And despite this, if they do sell Tajon for the rumored 15 or so million, they'll make a big profit, invest that into some new younger arrivals, and then hope that they can sell one for a big profit, and all of these striker purchase gaffs from last season will be forgotten about. They also just robbed Inter in broad daylight with the De Ketelaere sale too.

A story about Larin I have a question about for the fluent Spanish and rules lawyers among you:

https://www.ultimahora.es/deportes/real-mallorca/2023/07/19/1979217/director-deportivo-del-valladolid-enroca-cyle-larin.html

"El director deportivo del club blanquivioleta, Fran Sánchez, ha expuesto la situación en que se encuentra el delantero canadiense y ha revelado el plan por el que tratarán de que consiga la nacionalidad jamaicana, lo que propiciaría que dejara de ser extracomunitario y por lo tanto sería incluso un jugador más atractivo para los clubes que busquen reforzar la delantera."

Seems like they are trying to get him Jamaican nationality to help with something do with the EU and make him more attractive.  How does that work?

15 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

A story about Larin I have a question about for the fluent Spanish and rules lawyers among you:

https://www.ultimahora.es/deportes/real-mallorca/2023/07/19/1979217/director-deportivo-del-valladolid-enroca-cyle-larin.html

"El director deportivo del club blanquivioleta, Fran Sánchez, ha expuesto la situación en que se encuentra el delantero canadiense y ha revelado el plan por el que tratarán de que consiga la nacionalidad jamaicana, lo que propiciaría que dejara de ser extracomunitario y por lo tanto sería incluso un jugador más atractivo para los clubes que busquen reforzar la delantera."

Seems like they are trying to get him Jamaican nationality to help with something do with the EU and make him more attractive.  How does that work?

I believe it is this:

https://amp.theguardian.com/football/2007/oct/07/newsstory.sport4

There is an agreement called the Cotonou Accords that allows, among other things, workers from Africa, Pacific Islands and the Caribbean to be considered as EU workers. Valladolid actually signed Larin’s teammate Jawad El Yamiq from Morocco under this agreement. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cotonou_Agreement

Excellent folks, I was just going to post that article. The source is a Mallorca publication btw. 

So it seems that already in January they began the paperwork to get him EU status, so he would not longer be "extracomunitario", a non-EU player, of which teams are allowed only 3 I believe in La Liga. The idea is that he'd be more attractive to potential buyers, because otherwise you are conditioning clubs who may have other players without EU status, making them choose.

Fact is, it tends to be the bigger clubs who have Brazilians or a Japanese or Korean player in their youth ranks, while the more modest clubs do not. So technically this favours a move to a bigger club.

The Cotonou, as stated, is the updated Lomé Agreement, whose purpose was to address poverty in parts of the world where, implicitly, there was also a European colonial legacy. It was not meant for elite workers, but poor migrants. Interestingly, I think the UK pushed the Jamaica status when they were in the EU.

The article states he was supposed to be in Valladolid last Sunday and start training Monday. But that now he'll come in a few days, and will also have his EU labour status intact by the weekend. Very smart and great foresight on the part of the club, and something that will benefit the player going forward as well. So that Real Valladolid will be able to shop him more readily, in the hope that a bigger offer might come through. 

(Not sure how non-EU works in other leagues, but this suggests that Jonathan David could also go a similar route if he were to have options to play in La Liga, and a few other of our guys as well).

1 hour ago, Stryker911 said:

Imagine the anghst on this board if he wasn't captied.

I had this thought too. Wouldn’t it be good to get that in motion for any Canadian players we want to eventually go overseas? But then the worry of them committing to other countries entered my mind 🤣 but I assume most of them would have some dual nationality as it is, so how is it different for Larin? I assume just further down the lineage maybe?

18 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

(Not sure how non-EU works in other leagues, but this suggests that Jonathan David could also go a similar route if he were to have options to play in La Liga, and a few other of our guys as well).

FYI...I believe Italy's rules for non-EU players are that you allowed to sign a maximum of 2 per season. For example, Milan signed Ruben Loftus Cheek (reminder that English count as non-EU) and only have one spot left. Pulisic has a Croatian passport, so he doesn't count.

So this may impact potential moves for Buchanan or David to Italy.

3 minutes ago, masster said:

FYI...I believe Italy's rules for non-EU players are that you allowed to sign a maximum of 2 per season. For example, Milan signed Ruben Loftus Cheek (reminder that English count as non-EU) and only have one spot left. Pulisic has a Croatian passport, so he doesn't count.

David has a Haitian passport, or at the very least has access to one, so he could count as an EU player. Tajon is of Jamaican decent so he may also be eligible for Jamaican citizenship- not sure if his parents were born there or here. 

13 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

David has a Haitian passport, or at the very least has access to one, so he could count as an EU player. Tajon is of Jamaican decent so he may also be eligible for Jamaican citizenship- not sure if his parents were born there or here. 

I may be the stupid one here but, Haiti and Jamaica aren’t European countries.

6 minutes ago, Jack1997 said:

I may be the stupid one here but, Haiti and Jamaica aren’t European countries.

If you scroll up a few posts, I posted an article about the Cotonou agreement which allows workers from the carribbean, Pacific, and Africa to work in Europe as EU workers. The same agreement that will allow a team to sign Larin as an EU player due to his Jamaican citizenship would allow David to play as a Haitian player and Buchanan as a Jamaican player if he's eligible for the citizenship. I'm not sure if Italy treats the agreement the same way Spain does when it comes to soccer players, but as holders of work permits in the EU, I would assume it's the same.

47 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

If you scroll up a few posts, I posted an article about the Cotonou agreement which allows workers from the carribbean, Pacific, and Africa to work in Europe as EU workers. The same agreement that will allow a team to sign Larin as an EU player due to his Jamaican citizenship would allow David to play as a Haitian player and Buchanan as a Jamaican player if he's eligible for the citizenship. I'm not sure if Italy treats the agreement the same way Spain does when it comes to soccer players, but as holders of work permits in the EU, I would assume it's the same.

Ah I see, thanks for the explanation 

2 hours ago, masster said:

Yes, Mass, was looking at that and it seemed complicated. A set of rules about how you get to your maximum that was a bit strange. There's a maximum, but you can transfer between clubs in Serie A even if the team that wants you already has the supposed maximum of 3 foreigners.

Or: a team could buy non-EU status players from all the other clubs in Italy and have the majority of the roster non-EU, as long as they are not transfering in from outside of Italy.

I frankly do not understand this much and I'm more or less literate:

https://thesportsgrail.com/serie-a-foreign-players-rule-what-is-it-and-how-do-teams-follow-it/

Mallorca continues to pressure. Some articles say they want him to openly manifest his desire to leave RV and go to Mallorca, which is a gesture of pressure. I don't think he'll do that, at least not publicly, Valladolid has treated him very well and I'm sure they are negotiating in good faith. Otherwise he would not be getting his Jamaican now, which is going to raise his value across the EU.

Ortells the sporting director at Mallorca, a fine former player, mentions him and their interest.

https://www.diariodemallorca.es/rcd-mallorca/2023/07/21/pablo-ortells-director-deportivo-real-90173634.html

They got 17 million of the 24 for the Kang In Lee transfer to PSG, and have that to work with, but in this article he says that signing Larin even at what they are willing to pay (recently we heard 6 and bonuses) would represent a 15 million euro investment over 4 years: 5 million+ transfer, the rest in 2.5 million salary per year, four-year contract. Or similar.

Mallorca have a few other interesting options for signings but no major transfer fees involved, and no other top strikers they are looking at. 

I still think an even better club is going to waltz in and pick up Larin for 8-10 and bonuses (usually means you pay a sum, say 8, then if he performs well you pay incrementally more to the selling club, but it does not go on the books for this fiscal year, it gets spread out and does not all affect your Financial Fair Play).

Seems Mallorca has made a third offer, up to 7 million. And allowing Valladolid to retain partial rights over possible resale of the player. As RV originally asked for 10 and seemed to have come down to 8, they are quite close right now.

https://www.futboldesdemallorca.com/blog/2023/07/24/el-mallorca-sube-a-7-millones-fijos-su-oferta-por-larin-que-rechaza-ir-a-mexico/

Must say there are 40+ comments here, most fans are enthusiastic about the guy, others joke its an even more exciting summer soap opera than the Mbappe affair.

Larin also had an offer from Mexico he rejected, acc to this article. 

In other news, Montpellier from Ligue 1 has put in an offer it seems. I seriously doubt Larin would go to France. Sometimes a team will do this, if they have a good working relationship with the selling club, to make it appear there are more offers on the table and keep the value up. Fake bidders to bolster market value, Ça n'est pas possible!

https://pucelafichajes.com/2023/07/el-montpellier-hsc-se-mete-en-la-puja-por-cyle-larin/