Cyle Larin

shermanator

3 hours ago, Watchmen said:

Spain has 8 teams in Europe next year, so I was really just using it as a "top half of the league" guideline and meaning I didn't want him in a relegation battle either. 

I don't really think there's much of a chance of him moving to a smaller club in Spain though.  RV is getting a deal on him, and they'll price him out of range of those smaller teams.

He's not an RV player, don't think. They can't exercise the option. He goes back to being a Bruges player. 

I have a feeling they're not going to agree on his next step.

Wanted to reply to folks commenting on the quality of play, I have to admit I am surprised, but agree. The quality of RV has been poor, I would even argue that Espanyol who also went down play better, more attractive football, with better fundamentals.

I suppose since I have watched the lower level Liga teams vs. Barça, they tend to up their game, they are far more intense, and since we are often stopped by them, even when we are in the middle of fighting for the league, I respect the level more. I recall us losing a league in the 90s, when Ronaldo the Valladolid owner played for us, because we couldn't beat Hercules the team from Alicante in either league game. Short-lived team in top flight, the difference that league was 3-4 points. I also recall seeing relegated teams play us extremely well when we were in a league battle. So I think I have a distorted idea of the quality. 

Perhaps when they play each other it is not so much the case.

At Valladolid, I would value the keeper Masip, Aguado who worked his ass off and has skill, Plata who is young still, and Larin. The rest is fairly journeyman, leaving aside the kid Fresneda, and a younger Monchu also in the middle.

9 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

For me this is the biggest consideration.  Watching RV this season has impressed upon me how unexciting the lowest part of La Liga is.  If he jumps to another relegation candidate I would be concerned that he would be playing the same type of footy.  I am not as stuck on the idea of European footy but I just want him to be somewhere that the quality of footy is high.  

Real question, but would finding himself on a very similar team to Real Valladolid next year for a full season the worst thing for him? Scoring 8 goals in half a season on a team that was incredibly offensively stunted, what could he have done on a full season, especially if the team was structured with Larin in mind at the start vs. bringing him in as an add-on later in the season? If he can score 12-15 goals in LaLiga, regardless of the team, which right now feels very doable if he's starting every game, that would be huge. I care less about european soccer for Larin than our younger guys because at this point in his career, it isn't like a big europa league performance is going to make other teams more aware of him than they already are like we see with Tajon or Eustaquio. Caveat would be if he can go to a team that has a direct spot in the champions league group stage, but at that point we're talking about Madrid, Barca, Atelico, which, yeah, if they want to sign and start Larin every game, then by all means, obviously, but outside of vertiable european giants, which I don't think are realistic for him right now, as long as he's scoring goals every year, getting contracts in a top league and staying in form for Canada, nothing more you can really ask for.

6 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

He's not an RV player, don't think. They can't exercise the option. He goes back to being a Bruges player. 

I have a feeling they're not going to agree on his next step.

We know the buy clause wasn't automatically triggered. I don't think we know if RV still has the option to buy, regardless of relegation.

22 hours ago, toontownman said:

Frustrating to say the least. ... Currently 79% possession only 2 shots on goal. 200 passes to 50 lol

Valladolid had 0 shots on target, 0.9 xG. They just didn't give Larin any balls to run on to. He did okay getting contact on the balls they put into the box to him.

Getafe made it difficult since they didn't have to score.

On 6/1/2023 at 6:40 PM, red card said:

de Guzman says his greatest moments of his career include his La Liga/Bundesliga relegation battles.

de Guzman also says Getafe players will get 30-50k euros from the other teams involved in the relegation battle if they can drop Valladolid.

https://www.tsn.ca/soccer/video/what-it-could-mean-for-larin-s-career-if-he-can-help-guide-valladolid-to-laliga-safety~2698982

On 6/2/2023 at 8:01 AM, narduch said:

This was touched on in the Miracle of Castel De Sangro book. 

It's sort of an open secret. 

Wait what?!?!?!... that can't be legal!

On 6/2/2023 at 9:12 AM, narduch said:

The shady part is when a mid table team rolls over for a relegation battling team on the last match day.

Those are the matches that usually raise eyebrows 

If a team puts in a half-ass effort in a game that means nothing to them, as long as they haven't accepted anything for it, at least it's legal.

1 minute ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Close....but a proven goal scorer in La Liga? Noone pays a pittance in the big leagues for proven strikers. He's not worth 40 but half that is possible.

I bet he'll go for 18-25 million plus variables.

Yeah, 40m might be the "ask" but at 1.5m buy there's a lot of negotiating room there to still make a healthy profit. Plus, they'll want to ensure they actually do capitalize on him at peak value and don't actually get stuck with him for next year.

13 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

Would love to hear the discussions in Bruges right now.

Jerry Seinfeld Cigar GIF - Jerry Seinfeld Cigar Money Money - Discover &  Share GIFs

"1 goal in 13 games eh"

40M is insane. Anything over 10M is crazy, damn. If he gets sold before David does this year, that would be the highest fee ever for a Canadian, no?

Edited by InglewoodJack

19 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Close....but a proven goal scorer in La Liga? Noone pays a pittance in the big leagues for proven strikers. He's not worth 40 but half that is possible.

I bet he'll go for 18-25 million plus variables.

I'm not sure I'd qualify half a good season as a proven La Liga goal scorer. It could have been a fluke, I hope not though. 

Edited by king1010