Cyle Larin

shermanator

2 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Almost never want a Canadian's team to do poorly but I would not mind a better team picking him up either. Some of the Valladolid games were a hard watch.

Honestly at this point he has played himself off of Valladolid. He's too good.

The only real question now is if it will be Valladolid or Club Brugge profiting off the sale 

I like the Valladolid story, the idea of Larin nearly singlehandedly lifting them out of relegation, becoming a local legend, being Ronaldo's golden child- sure their games outside of when Larin score are worse than paint drying and if he finds his way to a more competitive team, that would be super awesome, but I dunno, I hope RV escape relegation.

For Sunday's "final", as they call it.

It's sold out.

Rival Getafe has had the best record of the relegation threatened teams over the past five games. 

Related in Valladolid news, 18 year old Fresneda continues to garner interest, with Dortmund and Arsenal looking to pay 20-25 million euros for him. If you've watched, and I agree it can be dire, Fresneda never stands out as being out of place, unfit, naive. He's solid. It is only relevant because 1-if they get that transfer payment it enables them to sign for next season improving the team; and 2-getting a good payment for Fresneda may mean they choose to not sell Larin. 

Of course if RV get 20 million on a transfer it goes further in 2nd division, but that is not the point. 

As I see it, if the team stays up, it has fading journeymen mids who have played for years in La Liga but need to be improved, like Plano, Roque Mesa. It also has a weak back line and even outside backs, it probably needs a few pieces. Then, they'd need another striker. Sergio León is done, the guys they have loaned out are not good enough. They need a cover for Cyle.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

8 minutes ago, Approve My Account Pls said:

Curious who the other La Liga teams that are keeping an eye on him are... 

I wonder if they include ones from the 2nd division who have already won promotion? (Assuming there are any at this point). That's how it worked out with Vitoria in Portugal this past year after all.

de Guzman says his greatest moments of his career include his La Liga/Bundesliga relegation battles.

de Guzman also says Getafe players will get 30-50k euros from the other teams involved in the relegation battle if they can drop Valladolid.

https://www.tsn.ca/soccer/video/what-it-could-mean-for-larin-s-career-if-he-can-help-guide-valladolid-to-laliga-safety~2698982

Edited by red card

2 hours ago, red card said:

de Guzman says his greatest moments of his career include his La Liga/Bundesliga relegation battles.

de Guzman also says Getafe players will get 30-50k euros from the other teams involved in the relegation battle if they can drop Valladolid.

https://www.tsn.ca/soccer/video/what-it-could-mean-for-larin-s-career-if-he-can-help-guide-valladolid-to-laliga-safety~2698982

De Guzmán saying that is incredibly irresponsible, because he's stating there's fraud. He's also totally misunderstanding that Getafe already has an incentive to get a result.

First, if he has information he should tell the league.

Second, because most likely he doesn't know anything, he's referring to certain rumoured practices from back when he played. 

Then, if he ever received money from a third party like that, under the table, he never declared it, meaning it was not only tax fraud but possibly money laundering. Is De Guzman saying his entire Deportivo should be investigated?

In Spain such rumours were common in the past and it's likely some incentives are being considered now. The practice in the past involved contacting a captain of a team with nothing to play for and promising money to win. It's true there are cases of hyper motivated teams on decision day.

Julian may have a distorted view of things for a reason. The teams in Galicia were always said to have laundered money from drugs, it being a major point of entry for cocaine to Europe. There are authentic carteles there. Teams were notorious for ignoring the youth academies because you couldn't launder if no deals were being made, you needed transfers, purchases, sales.

Another source of what in Spain are called "las maletas", suitcases, are local businessmen who'll put up the cash. But it's still tax fraud and likely money laundering.

But as I say, Getafe has something to play for and not only that, are on form.

I loved that book but McGuinness struck me as an aggrandiser. I've always wondered how much of this corruption is an open secret versus how much of it is just stereotyping of southern European soccer and culture. Not dissimilar to all the hoopla from Brits that turn a blind eye to bone crushing tackles while whining about diving.

48 minutes ago, narduch said:

This was touched on in the Miracle of Castel De Sangro book. 

It's sort of an open secret. 

It is a standard scenario, at least commented upon, in these situations in Spain, and has been for decades. They call it "primas a terceros", bonuses to third parties. Colloquially they refer to "maletas", suitcases, or "maletines", briefcases.

Formerly, there were no clear norms governing such movements. 

The legal framework has been improved and there are court decisions that have condemned payments to try harder, to win, even to individual players, though often years after a match has been played. 

Of course this involves payments from third parties; your club could offer you a bonus to play harder or achieve a sporting objective, but it would be paid legally. I suspect Valladolid players have this on the table, over and above what is probably a bonus written into all their contracts to not relegate, being the club they are.

Some say the Spanish law is incorrectly written, that it is clear when it comes to losing for money, throwing matches, but not so clear if the idea is to win, since that is what you are supposed to do in a fair competition.

Some case decisions in Spain, like one in Navarre involving Osasuna players being paid to play harder in a match in 2014, have argued that the law is broken by merely offering an incentive, not if and when it is accepted. And that European law does indeed include bonuses from third parties for winning in the category of intent to alter a sports competition.

In any case, if a player is offered a payment, legally they are supposed to inform a commission of the league. Same if there is a betting interest, a payment to lose or play poorly. You are supposed to make the offer known.

De Guzmán has slid into relative obscurity, he has no significant role in the game anymore and has put himself into belligerant irrelevance in certain cases, and his comments to press, as in this case, reek of a guy desperate for a bit of media attention. Only thing: by suggesting Getafe are breaking the law, he is so far out of line, to the point of slander.

Not to mention he is saying Getafe are such bad professionals they won't play for a result even when they need a result.

34 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

It is a standard scenario, at least commented upon, in these situations in Spain, and has been for decades. They call it "primas a terceros", bonuses to third parties. Colloquially they refer to "maletas", suitcases, or "maletines", briefcases.

Formerly, there were no clear norms governing such movements. 

The legal framework has been improved and there are court decisions that have condemned payments to try harder, to win, even to individual players, though often years after a match has been played. 

Of course this involves payments from third parties; your club could offer you a bonus to play harder or achieve a sporting objective, but it would be paid legally. I suspect Valladolid players have this on the table, over and above what is probably a bonus written into all their contracts to not relegate, being the club they are.

Some say the Spanish law is incorrectly written, that it is clear when it comes to losing for money, throwing matches, but not so clear if the idea is to win, since that is what you are supposed to do in a fair competition.

Some case decisions in Spain, like one in Navarre involving Osasuna players being paid to play harder in a match in 2014, have argued that the law is broken by merely offering an incentive, not if and when it is accepted. And that European law does indeed include bonuses from third parties for winning in the category of intent to alter a sports competition.

In any case, if a player is offered a payment, legally they are supposed to inform a commission of the league. Same if there is a betting interest, a payment to lose or play poorly. You are supposed to make the offer known.

De Guzmán has slid into relative obscurity, he has no significant role in the game anymore and has put himself into belligerant irrelevance in certain cases, and his comments to press, as in this case, reek of a guy desperate for a bit of media attention. Only thing: by suggesting Getafe are breaking the law, he is so far out of line, to the point of slander.

Not to mention he is saying Getafe are such bad professionals they won't play for a result even when they need a result.

The shady part is when a mid table team rolls over for a relegation battling team on the last match day.

Those are the matches that usually raise eyebrows