Cyle Larin

shermanator

They are reporting he will be transfered this window for a small sum, considering he came to them on a free. This is from yesterday evening:

https://www.voetbalnieuws.be/news/696312/club-brugge-rondt-uitgaande-transfer-af

My translator says: 

In addition to these young people, a number of seniors are also likely to close their doors behind them. Cyle Larin, for example, whose stay in Jan Breydel threatens to be very short-lived.

After all, the 27-year-old Canadian only came to the national champion as a transfer-free player last summer, but after Carl Hoefkens, Scott Parker also has no place for him in his plans. Earlier it sounded that Larin can now dispose of it again, a departure that according to  Het Nieuwsblad is getting closer and closer.

TRANSFER SUM?
The newspaper states that the superfluous striker has drawn his conclusions and is currently already looking for a new employer abroad. "Because he came for free, Club will not tear his pants," it continues. Whether it still hopes for a transfer fee for Larin, which is still fixed until mid-2025, is not known. His market value is in any case estimated at no less than six million. Who knows, the flop might even yield some profit.

2 hours ago, Floortom said:

😂

I know, that is what it translated.

Trying to get my head around their logic. They had very successful striking in September and early October and did not need him at all. Then, Jutglà and others dried up before the WC and he was hardly given minutes to help. They did not work on him at all, from what I see. You can't blame him if they draw or need a goal if they don't put him in to try score one. 

I suspect that since he'd been in Belgium a few years ago, they figured he'd walk right in and need no adaptation. Fine, they were wrong. But if you change your coach because you are not happy, the first thing the guy should do is bring out all the players not getting minutes, get them into the lineups to pressure the rest of the squad, and basically start fresh. The minimum you'd expect. 

New coach decides the old coach's error not getting the best of a key piece should not be remedied. Illogical.

I still can’t understand this guy such a frustrating player really. It was like just two years ago more or less where this guy was scoring goals for fun in a pretty good league in Turkey . Was a key player in Canada qualifying for the World Cup but now can’t buy a goal or hardly any playing time . Started his career in MLS and again in his first season was scoring goals so easily at a young age . He just seems to go from looking unstoppable to looking like he would have trouble scoring in a Sunday rec league . Really hope he can regain his form .

46 minutes ago, SoccMan said:

I still can’t understand this guy such a frustrating player really. It was like just two years ago more or less where this guy was scoring goals for fun in a pretty good league in Turkey . Was a key player in Canada qualifying for the World Cup but now can’t buy a goal or hardly any playing time . Started his career in MLS and again in his first season was scoring goals so easily at a young age . He just seems to go from looking unstoppable to looking like he would have trouble scoring in a Sunday rec league . Really hope he can regain his form .

He's never looked like he had trouble scoring. That's never been the problem. His problem has been playing. If he's on the field, he's going to score. This is not just something he said himself. Look back at each of his seasons:

• 2015 Orlando City goal per 117 min
  • 2016 Orlando City goal per 175 min
  • 2017 Orlando City goal per 180 min
  • 2017/18 Besiktas goal per 37 min
  • 2018/19 Besiktas goal per 309 min
  • 2019/20 Zulte Waragem goal per 356 min
  • 2020/21 Besiktas goal per 151 min
  • 2021/22 Besiktas goal per 251 min
  • 2022/23 Club Brugge goal per 194 min

This is just league matches, but I am sure it's pretty much the same thing.

It's pretty clear that if he plays he's going to score, regardless of whether he is playing a lot of minutes (2887 min in 2020/21), or playing very little. At his best he scored a goal per 37 minutes - and at his worst he scored a goal per 356 minutes, which is just under a goal every four games. That season in particular saw him playing in a different role in Belgium, rounding out his game and getting plenty of assists.

I feel that your criticism of Larin is unwaranted, and your characterization of him being a hot/cold striker inacurate. I don't recall any stretches in his career where he kept on flubbing chance after chance, and I don't see any season where his goal per game dropped to 500 min, 600 min, etc.).

My theory on Larin is that he doesn't offer a whole lot to the attack besides finishing off the chances, so if he goes a few games without scoring, he's a likely candidate to get dropped. I think that's the story of his career. His minutes per season (considering full seasons only) reached a maximum of 2887 minutes and a minimum of 309 minutes. That's without any serious injuries. That's such a wild gulf in playing time.

He needs a situation where the team will stay patient because eventually he'll turn good - he always has. 

I am going to pick on Ayo Akinola a little here:

• 2019 Toronto goal per 253 min
  • 2020 Toronto goal per 124 min
  • 2021 Toronto goal per 216 min
  • 2022 Toronto goal per 621 min

Granted, he came off an ACL injury, but regardless we haven't seen Larin go on such a goal drought. 

11 hours ago, Obinna said:

I am going to pick on Ayo Akinola a little here:

• 2019 Toronto goal per 253 min
  • 2020 Toronto goal per 124 min
  • 2021 Toronto goal per 216 min
  • 2022 Toronto goal per 621 min

Granted, he came off an ACL injury, but regardless we haven't seen Larin go on such a goal drought. 

Canada fans were guilty of being harsh on him too for a period. He’s had a good strike rate throughout his career. 

25 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Canada fans were guilty of being harsh on him too for a period. He’s had a good strike rate throughout his career. 

For sure. I still believe he can turn it around this season and put the injury behind him. He scored 2 goals in 12 league games, if I recall correctly. He'll have to improve on that if he wants to get more national team calls.

5 hours ago, jordan said:

editing, after reading and listening to latest news....

Sort of funny if he leaves a team in Belgium as a "reject" to go to a far higher level league.

Articles from late Sunday in all the Cadiz papers, La Voz de Cádiz, Diario de Cádiz, a fan site...

https://www.lavozdigital.es/canal-amarillo/fichajes-cadiz-cf/lvdi-cadiz-punto-cerrar-delantero-cyle-larin-202301151933_noticia.html

https://www.diariodecadiz.es/cadizcf/cadiz-cf-cerca-cerrar-fichaje-larin-reforzar-delantera_0_1757225039.html

https://www.portalcadista.com/cadizcf-mercado/47472-el-brujas-no-convoca-a-cyle-larin-al-que-colocan-muy-cerca-del-cadiz

And a fansite video, just basing himself on Transfermarkt stats.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1t0iuVkYFMg

Just a comment, the coach, Sergio González, was a holding mid for Espanyol, and very good. Probably the one player I used to see the most in Barcelona after he retired as his younger brother played 4th tier for Europa (a historical team), and he'd go to all the games, was very pleasant chatting with everyone. He's a good guy, serious, not at all flashy, but a solid football mind

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

My claim has been that Larin will score if he plays, so he just has to play and the goals will come. In theory he should bag at least 4 or 5 La Liga goals, then.

What's interesting is that Cadiz (I assume) struggle to create chances, and Larin will need chances in order to score. He doesn't have much ability to create something from nothing.

I can't wait to find out which way this will go. Either way, it will be nice for Larin to make his debut in a Top 5 league. It's been a long time coming. A lot of rumours over the years, from Everton to Fiorentina, Nottingam Forset to Marsielle. Who would of guessed it would be Cadiz in La Liga!

I'm sure we'd all like to see him in Spain but Larin strikes me as the type who will go to the highest bidder no matter the level or circumstances.  Either way, it must be nice to be sought after by clubs after this disaster spell at Brugge.  Really wanted to see him and Buchanan become a force there.  Too bad.

On 1/15/2023 at 1:33 AM, Obinna said:

He's never looked like he had trouble scoring. That's never been the problem. His problem has been playing. If he's on the field, he's going to score. This is not just something he said himself. Look back at each of his seasons:

• 2015 Orlando City goal per 117 min
  • 2016 Orlando City goal per 175 min
  • 2017 Orlando City goal per 180 min
  • 2017/18 Besiktas goal per 37 min
  • 2018/19 Besiktas goal per 309 min
  • 2019/20 Zulte Waragem goal per 356 min
  • 2020/21 Besiktas goal per 151 min
  • 2021/22 Besiktas goal per 251 min
  • 2022/23 Club Brugge goal per 194 min

This is just league matches, but I am sure it's pretty much the same thing.

It's pretty clear that if he plays he's going to score, regardless of whether he is playing a lot of minutes (2887 min in 2020/21), or playing very little. At his best he scored a goal per 37 minutes - and at his worst he scored a goal per 356 minutes, which is just under a goal every four games. That season in particular saw him playing in a different role in Belgium, rounding out his game and getting plenty of assists.

I feel that your criticism of Larin is unwaranted, and your characterization of him being a hot/cold striker inacurate. I don't recall any stretches in his career where he kept on flubbing chance after chance, and I don't see any season where his goal per game dropped to 500 min, 600 min, etc.).

My theory on Larin is that he doesn't offer a whole lot to the attack besides finishing off the chances, so if he goes a few games without scoring, he's a likely candidate to get dropped. I think that's the story of his career. His minutes per season (considering full seasons only) reached a maximum of 2887 minutes and a minimum of 309 minutes. That's without any serious injuries. That's such a wild gulf in playing time.

He needs a situation where the team will stay patient because eventually he'll turn good - he always has. 

Larin dominated the MLS just about 5 years ago.  He did the right thing by challenging himself in Turkey.  I think it's time for him to return to where it all started.  I can think of many squads in the MLS that can use that caliber of player.   He is still very much in his prime as a finisher.

2 hours ago, solsous said:

Larin dominated the MLS just about 5 years ago.  He did the right thing by challenging himself in Turkey.  I think it's time for him to return to where it all started.  I can think of many squads in the MLS that can use that caliber of player.   He is still very much in his prime as a finisher.

I think its much too early to go back to the MLS. In europe he can still develop and strive to get to a higher level. Going to MLS may help his form, but I don't think it raises his ceiling (it may reduce it tbh). 

In an unfair comparison, Larin had 12 goals in 28 games in his worst MLS season, Cav had 9 goals in 24 appearances in his best season. MLS has improved substantially since 2017. Larin is also super out of form. I wouldnt be shocked if he scored only 10 MLS goals. Does the CMNT really need another guy whos roughly or only slightly better than Cav? Its a risk to stay in europe but I think we have to punch above our weight if we want to have a chance to become a 2nd tier national team (assuming we are currently a 3rd tier). I dont think bringing home a guy in his prime is the ambition we need. 

3 hours ago, solsous said:

I think some may not understand or know of the legal complications involved in him leaving. It was acrimonious, not just with Orlando but with MLS being the owner of his contract. He exposed what is basically an illegal clause in MLS club options.

I don't think he or MLS are at all interested in any sort of return. And less so thinking no MLS team is going to match his 2.5 million dollar salary.

Apart from being plain illogical to renounce playing in La Liga or a team in Champions League to return at his age to an inferior, less ambitious setup.

it wasnt proven to be illegal..besiktas actually paid orlando in the end..but yeah mls is probably not very excited for a possible return..the issue with larin is that hes too much of an up and down player..he scores difficult goals and misses wide open chances..in the end most clubs would get pissed off and say you know what there must be better options out there..a situation like besiktas his last couple seasons there where he plays mostly at wing and theres less pressure to score is the best thing for him

Edited by Big_M