Cyle Larin

shermanator

11 hours ago, Kent said:

I stopped paying attention to MLS roster rules before free agency became a thing in MLS, but is this maybe a case of the technicality that player contracts are with the league itself? Is this maybe Vancouver saying they are done with him, but MLS still has him under contract and other MLS teams can pick him up before teams from outside the league can do so? Or are DP contracts held by the team rather than the league and all this that I am spewing is complete nonsense?

Maybe I am misunderstanding but does it matter if who the contract is with if the contract is completed? If i understand correct, you are saying he is under contract until 2022 with MLS and not Whitecaps. However, its 2023 so it doesnt matter if it was MLS or Whitecaps. 

I would be shocked if a league can control out of contract players by saying only MLS clubs can sign you. I don't think Fifa would allow this. (there may be a period between the end of season date and end of contract date where this applies - but the player would still be under contract technically.)

I would also be shocked if a club team can wiggle out of their contract with the player because its MLS who has the contract. This would essentially mean that a team can walk away from any bad contracts and allow MLS to pay the remaining salary while the player is without a club. 

All player contracts or technically through MLS, but I dont think this allows what you are implying. (If I understand your point). 

The vast majority of player contracts in MLS end on Dec. 31 of the final year, even though the season ends before then.

Players are often referred to as "free agents" before they technically are, because they are free to sign with other clubs in advance.

On 1/5/2023 at 9:52 AM, Bigandy said:

Maybe I am misunderstanding but does it matter if who the contract is with if the contract is completed? If i understand correct, you are saying he is under contract until 2022 with MLS and not Whitecaps. However, its 2023 so it doesnt matter if it was MLS or Whitecaps. 

I would be shocked if a league can control out of contract players by saying only MLS clubs can sign you. I don't think Fifa would allow this. (there may be a period between the end of season date and end of contract date where this applies - but the player would still be under contract technically.)

I would also be shocked if a club team can wiggle out of their contract with the player because its MLS who has the contract. This would essentially mean that a team can walk away from any bad contracts and allow MLS to pay the remaining salary while the player is without a club. 

All player contracts or technically through MLS, but I dont think this allows what you are implying. (If I understand your point). 

I was talking about what RS just said above. I know there are cases where a team drops a player (puts them on waivers) and then they can be drafted by another MLS team. I am assuming in those cases the player still has their contract with MLS, but is no longer affiliated with the team that dropped them. Another team picks him up with the same contract he had before with MLS. I was wondering if it's the same thing with free agents. I was suggesting it since it has been mentioned MLS contracts typically go to Dec. 31, so at the time of the World Cup he still likely would have been under contract with MLS, even if he isn't anymore now in 2023.

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

Already Jan 8th. This guy needs to get out of Brugge this window and time is ticking. I hope he gets the chance at Cadiz. Any other transfer rumours surrounding Larin?

On a day like today, I don't mind, as I hope it may be because they are preparing a transfer move and don't want him injured. I see that kid they had been playing in attack is not in the squad either. You'd think that with a new coach he'd start anew, and the option would be 1-revive Larin for the team given what he cost and earns; or 2-prepare to loan him out and act accordingly.

16 minutes ago, jhoops__ said:

I highly doubt there’s much interest in Larin.  He can’t even get on the bench for a new coach ffs.   Hard to believe Herdman started this guy over David vs Morocco.   

If you want us to make a list of premium strikers who have not scored this season, I mean guys getting paid as well as he is on strong clubs, you'd be surprised.

The very fact that he is costing them money on salary means you have to do something. Then, they just lost to the league leader who outscored them; Jutglà did not score (and hasn't in quite a while, he has only two goals in the last 3 months), they are not getting goals from anyone else. Yaremchuk has two in total.

So the coach is going to make changes, I have no doubt. Either he'll get minutes to at least pressure the other strikers; or they'll loan him out to get some of his salary back, but frankly: not giving him minutes is dumb considering the overall situation.

Brugge is so trash this year that if Larin scores a brace in his next game- and it's believable that he could, considering they'll give him a start against some random terrible opposition and he does score when given the chance, he would be 5th in team goals, ahead of Noa Lang, ahead of Yaremchuk. I get it though, they paid I think 16M for Yaremchuk, not playing him would be even more egregious than not playing Larin, you need something out of a player that expensive.

In terms of no interest, he is Canada's starting striker, a player who isn't too far removed from a massive season in Turkey, someone who has shown up in Belgium when called upon- he's not a player who will sell for 25M, but he's useful for a team that wants a cheap option with a high ceiling. Same as an NHL team going out and getting a 3rd liner who scored 25 goals in a good situation two years ago, or an NBA team signing a 6th man who had some good seasons as a starter on some bubble playoff teams. Pay CB 3M euros for him, play him, if he's good, he's a coup, if he sucks, you didn't waste much on him.

14 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Brugge is so trash this year that if Larin scores a brace in his next game- and it's believable that he could, considering they'll give him a start against some random terrible opposition and he does score when given the chance, he would be 5th in team goals, ahead of Noa Lang, ahead of Yaremchuk. I get it though, they paid I think 16M for Yaremchuk, not playing him would be even more egregious than not playing Larin, you need something out of a player that expensive.

In terms of no interest, he is Canada's starting striker, a player who isn't too far removed from a massive season in Turkey, someone who has shown up in Belgium when called upon- he's not a player who will sell for 25M, but he's useful for a team that wants a cheap option with a high ceiling. Same as an NHL team going out and getting a 3rd liner who scored 25 goals in a good situation two years ago, or an NBA team signing a 6th man who had some good seasons as a starter on some bubble playoff teams. Pay CB 3M euros for him, play him, if he's good, he's a coup, if he sucks, you didn't waste much on him.

So we r looking for a soccer version of the Leafs?

10 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

So we r looking for a soccer version of the Leafs?

Leafs always delude themselves into thinking they’re contenders- I’m thinking of a team who knows they can get the 8 seed, maybe make the first round tricky, but gets eliminated- I guess this does describe the Leafs.

Here’s a ridiculous basketball comparison that makes sense in my head- Cyle Larin’s market is the same as Dennis Shröder’s market. Can play 82 games and put up decent points for a lottery team, can still play solid minutes for a contender (his first Lakers run), and what he needs is a team like the current Lakers who need to make the playoffs at all costs but don’t exactly have many options to sign actual stats, so he’ll get the job done for now. 

or I guess if we’re keeping it to hockey, his market is probably what Brendan Gallagher’s would be if Brendan Gallagher wasn’t one big hit away from disintegrating into a fine mist 

Edited by InglewoodJack

2 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

Leafs always delude themselves into thinking they’re contenders- I’m thinking of a team who knows they can get the 8 seed, maybe make the first round tricky, but gets eliminated- I guess this does describe the Leafs.

Here’s a ridiculous basketball comparison that makes sense in my head- Cyle Larin’s market is the same as Dennis Shröder’s market. Can play 82 games and put up decent points for a lottery team, can still play solid minutes for a contender (his first Lakers run), and what he needs is a team like the current Lakers who need to make the playoffs at all costs but don’t exactly have many options to sign actual stats, so he’ll get the job done for now. 

or I guess if we’re keeping it to hockey, his market is probably what Brendan Gallagher’s would be if Brendan Gallagher wasn’t one big hit away from disintegrating into a fine mist 

My God. <facepalm>  You mean the second best team in the league by current standings?  Yes, I know, I know.  No playoff success. But they have been contenders for the last 5-6 years.  Just keep on getting out-goaltended in the playoffs, or out-refereed depending on your perspective.

And Brendan Gallagher has been Mr. Irrelevant for the last 3-4 years.  He's going nowhere with that contract and the Habs won't buy him out because he's been a good soldier for them.

3 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

It really doesn't. The value-style purchase you described as a possibility for Larin doesn't describe the Leafs either.

43 minutes ago, Ivan said:

My God. <facepalm>  You mean the second best team in the league by current standings?  Yes, I know, I know.  No playoff success. But they have been contenders for the last 5-6 years.  Just keep on getting out-goaltended in the playoffs, or out-refereed depending on your perspective.

And Brendan Gallagher has been Mr. Irrelevant for the last 3-4 years.  He's going nowhere with that contract and the Habs won't buy him out because he's been a good soldier for them.

Sounds like a Leafs fan deluding themselves into thinking they're contenders, just like I said 😉

Until they can win a series- I think it's been 19 years and like 5 different "this is our year!" iterations- they're a paper contender for me. They've admittedly probably got the best Leafs team in like 50 years (?), but they've choked in the playoffs nearly every year they make it, so I'm going to talk my shit until they finally break through, which much to my chagrin as a Montrealer, will happen some day.

For Gallagher, you're right, which is why I said him, without the injuries. Just the first name I thought of of an over the hump guy who you can throw on your third line and get 20ish goals from. You're not going to get that from BG because he's a shell of his formerself, but that's the type of player he was not so long ago.

10 minutes ago, RS said:

It really doesn't. The value-style purchase you described as a possibility for Larin doesn't describe the Leafs either.

Tongue in cheek. The leafs are historically a tough first round matchup for teams who have deeper playoff aspirations.

19 hours ago, RS said:

They also lost to the Habs that one year.

Despite the Toronto Sports Network's best efforts to remind us every single day that the Habs were "by far the worst cup final team ever!!!", that run was truly special. Upsetting the Laffs, the jets, and Vegas? What a run.

Edited by InglewoodJack

18 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

Despite the Toronto Sports Network's best efforts to remind us every single day that the Habs were "by far the worst cup final team ever!!!", that run was truly special. Upsetting the Laffs, the jets, and Vegas? What a run.

As much as the truth hurts about the Leafs not winning a playoff series despite their regular season success ........ the truth about their magical run is equivalent! 😄

And the same Toronto Sports Network that calls Carey Price the best goalie ever to play the game, puts Nick Suzuki on Team Canada for the Olympics and hails Cole Caufield as the second coming of Mike Bossy????

Sorry for the derail, last post on the subject.

6 minutes ago, Ivan said:

As much as the truth hurts about the Leafs not winning a playoff series despite their regular season success ........ the truth about their magical run is equivalent! 😄

And the same Toronto Sports Network that calls Carey Price the best goalie ever to play the game, puts Nick Suzuki on Team Canada for the Olympics and hails Cole Caufield as the second coming of Mike Bossy????

Sorry for the derail, last post on the subject.

That Habs run made me look at analytics and sports commentary a lot differently- a lot of the discourse around the Habs at the time basically amounted to "my analytic model told me that it's statistically impossible for this to happen, therefore the Habs not only don't deserve it, but the entire concept of the post season should be ended because the outcomes are so improbable".

And yeah, TSN loves Toronto and hates Quebec, but at some point, you can't simply argue that the greatest goalie of his generation wasn't the greatest goalie of his generation, that one of the best Canadian centres in the league should be on the CANMNT, and that the little goals boy could become one of the best goal scorrers of his generation. Damn that Edmonton-centric soccer media trying to lie to us and tell us that Alphonso Davies is the greatest Canadian soccer player of all time!!!

Been reading the Flemish press recently and one line of argument is that Larin's one goal means they should ship him out to buy another striker. Someone who can really pressure Jutglà, Long and Yarmechuk. But if those three can't score, and Larin is not given a chance, what's the logic? 

Especially since one prospect I read of was some unknown striker in Turkey, Dovbyk, think it's a Ukrainian at Trabzonspor, someone even less known that Larin. 

Then there are other comments I've read, always in google translate, on how stupid they are being by pressuring their new coach to make wholesale changes after just one match.

https://www.voetbalnieuws.be/news/695675/club-brugge-legt-miljoenen-klaar-voor-nieuwe-spits