Cyle Larin

shermanator

14 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

This is not Cavs profile. This is an article. The author may not have been aware of cav's release. They also work for MLS so of course they would want to include him as it makes MLS look more impressive. However, an article like this is not where I would take my information for statistics. 

This is his profile: https://www.mlssoccer.com/players/lucas-cavallini/ where he is not listed as a whitecaps player.

Same site, with conflicting information.

29 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

Which is no different from guys in Europe who are no longer with clubs come the June/July World Cup or Euros.

When players are out of contract for the WC in June or July, are they not listed as unattached? Lampard was unattached FC when he left chelsea but before he joined city and played for england. 
Are you saying that cav should be part of unattached fc, just like in europe? 

18 hours ago, Bigandy said:

I am sure you are right, but that doesnt sound correct. Free agency opens on November 16. It seems odd to announce the release of players on nov 14, have free agency open on the 16th but still have all these released players under contract for another 1.5 months. 

The 2022 MLS season was compressed and ended early to accommodate the winter World Cup. Historically, MLS Cup falls somewhere around December 10th. 

1 hour ago, BearcatSA said:

Which is no different from guys in Europe who are no longer with clubs come the June/July World Cup or Euros.

Are they typically listed as unattached in that scenario? 

51 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

When players are out of contract for the WC in June or July, are they not listed as unattached? Lampard was unattached FC when he left chelsea but before he joined city and played for england. 
Are you saying that cav should be part of unattached fc, just like in europe? 

This atypical timing for a WC makes his situation similar to those in European leagues whose finish at the end of May.

My idea of Unattached FC would be a guy released from his club before a season ended and hasn't been playing in that or any other league, with his only training with a first team being with the NT prior to a match, of that helps to clarify things.

7 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

This atypical timing for a WC makes his situation similar to those in European leagues whose finish at the end of May.

My idea of Unattached FC would be a guy released from his club before a season ended and hasn't been playing in that or any other league, with his only training with a first team being with the NT prior to a match, of that helps to clarify things.

So in your scenario, Cav is not unattached FC, because he finished the season before he was released? 

On 12/21/2022 at 3:28 PM, InglewoodJack said:

Here’s how it’s gonna go. Larin to Cadiz who are one point out of being safe from relegation. They pass Espanyol who is one point above relegation. Espanyol gets relegated which allows them to play Koleosho more. Americans aren’t moved by a second division player so he plays for Canada. He ends up being so good that another La Liga team signs him, and now all of a sudden we have two La Liga forwards by next Christmas. 

It could happen but shouldn't, and hope it doesn't--I'm a rare Barça fan that likes Espanyol. 

Back to Larin, the transfer window is the entire month of January. If they find a way to play him and he responds, he may stay. They are not doing that well in League and now in Cup, and the strikers like Jutglà have not produced in a few months now. I wonder if they end up keeping him to keep the pressure on the strike force and look for solutions as the CL knockout round appoaches in February.

Another problem is that if we are to believe what they are paying him, after having asked 2.5 million euros a year from Besiktas (putting his Bruges salary up towards that, perhaps over 2 million), then anyone taking him on loan is going to have to pay 6 months of that, half let's say. 

On 12/21/2022 at 4:19 AM, Unnamed Trialist said:

It's not race in this case, it's an insistent idea that place of birth is definitive.  In Spain this is done for all athletes and also for writers or other cultural notables. Frank Gehry is always from Toronto for example, and the press will always put city of birth and year after an artist's name.  In your CV it's supposed to be at the top.

When the do the game call, they'll say "over to Buchanan" then "the Canadian pushes up the right" and even Messi will get "free kick for the Rosarino", the city. This is how when watching Champions League you hear Canada and Canadian a ton, which is nice. I've ever heard about Bono, "the keeper from Montreal".

If the press likes one or the other more, for some players you'll know where they were born because of these repetitions, if they ring nice or roll well of the tongue, "el de Camas", that's Sergio Ramos. And Camas is a bit of a dump on the outskirts of Sevilla.

You’re missing something man. Messi may be Rosarino, Buchanan is Toronto and so is Frank Geary. Larin is also Toronto yet there is a tendency for him to be ascribed to Jamaica. In the primarily racial understanding of Europeans, black and brown men come from black and brown nations even if those black and brown men, although they may be third generation and never once set foot on the “home” continent that they’re imagined to belong to. Yet ‘where they’ve come from’ and ‘where they will go back to/where they belong’ underly the imaginations of many Europeans. There’s nothing chummy about it. It’s a radically different conception of race, place and immigration that one finds in Canada. 

10 hours ago, ECW said:

You’re missing something man. Messi may be Rosarino, Buchanan is Toronto and so is Frank Geary. Larin is also Toronto yet there is a tendency for him to be ascribed to Jamaica. In the primarily racial understanding of Europeans, black and brown men come from black and brown nations even if those black and brown men, although they may be third generation and never once set foot on the “home” continent that they’re imagined to belong to. Yet ‘where they’ve come from’ and ‘where they will go back to/where they belong’ underly the imaginations of many Europeans. There’s nothing chummy about it. It’s a radically different conception of race, place and immigration that one finds in Canada. 

You're answering a different question altogether and ignoring the reality of how origins are attributed in Spain. Which is your cultural bias perhaps.

Which includes ignorance of extreme racism and cultural hatred in Canada, which you are washing over.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

7 hours ago, narduch said:

Club Brugge have fired their manager. 

Also Noa Lang is being rumoured with a January move.

Could mean Larin may play more

Objectively that squad has to do far better. Just in attack, as you say with Lang, Jutglà, Larin, Buchanan, others, they have to be scoring goals in Belgium. I honestly thought they'd be running away with the league this season. 

I do notice that the manager would make odd changes to the line-up, often not playing clear starters, it seems to me he's thrown away points that way. 

Some on this board have rightly argued that the final playoff in Belgium means often you are not putting your full attention to winning the table, as could be the case with Brugge. I agree, I much prefer a single table winner, it is a true sign of a team having played well throughout a season.

In the end Lucas Pérez is leaving Cadiz in an odd operation, so they're free to sign another striker.

Yesterday he scored the tying goal for Cádiz at home and with 3 is their leading scorer.

To go to Deportivo in 3rd tier now, he pays 48% of his own transfer and Depor 52%.

https://www.marca.com/futbol/cadiz/2022/12/31/63b019ffca4741c34f8b45aa.html

We'll see if they revive the Larin operation of if a new manager at Bruges changes things.

I think whoever was going to be the new coach would be trying to make Larin work. It's a fresh start for him.

Though I'd love to see him go to Cádiz.

The other thing weird about the Cádiz striker going to Coruña, apart from dropping 2 divisions on purpose, is that Pérez signed to 2029, with the idea of joining the technical staff after his career. But if they don't promote at least to 2nd Division by 2024, he's free to leave.

On 12/24/2022 at 9:37 AM, Unnamed Trialist said:

You're answering a different question altogether and ignoring the reality of how origins are attributed in Spain. Which is your cultural bias perhaps.

Which includes ignorance of extreme racism and cultural hatred in Canada, which you are washing over.

I'm not an expert. I'm white, I don't know Spanish, and I didn't even read the translated article that sparked this. But how did your explanation of how in Spain they talk about the place of birth for players all the time explain that Larin was described as Jamaican? He was born in Brampton. Your own explanation seems to suggest he should be referred to as being from Canada/Brampton with no mention of Jamaica.

You at one point said "If the press likes one or the other more, for some players you'll know where they were born because of these repetitions, if they ring nice or roll well of the tongue, "el de Camas", that's Sergio Ramos." It sounded like you were starting to say they may call you by place of birth or heritage or upbringing or something, but you never seemed to complete that thought and gave an example of another player that they refer to his place of birth. So I am a bit confused by your stance.

On 12/20/2022 at 6:04 PM, Bigandy said:

I am sure you are right, but that doesnt sound correct. Free agency opens on November 16. It seems odd to announce the release of players on nov 14, have free agency open on the 16th but still have all these released players under contract for another 1.5 months. 

I stopped paying attention to MLS roster rules before free agency became a thing in MLS, but is this maybe a case of the technicality that player contracts are with the league itself? Is this maybe Vancouver saying they are done with him, but MLS still has him under contract and other MLS teams can pick him up before teams from outside the league can do so? Or are DP contracts held by the team rather than the league and all this that I am spewing is complete nonsense?

3 hours ago, Kent said:

I'm not an expert. I'm white, I don't know Spanish, and I didn't even read the translated article that sparked this. But how did your explanation of how in Spain they talk about the place of birth for players all the time explain that Larin was described as Jamaican? He was born in Brampton. Your own explanation seems to suggest he should be referred to as being from Canada/Brampton with no mention of Jamaica.

You at one point said "If the press likes one or the other more, for some players you'll know where they were born because of these repetitions, if they ring nice or roll well of the tongue, "el de Camas", that's Sergio Ramos." It sounded like you were starting to say they may call you by place of birth or heritage or upbringing or something, but you never seemed to complete that thought and gave an example of another player that they refer to his place of birth. So I am a bit confused by your stance.

Larin's case, I guess someone looked at Transfermarkt. It could be a bias.

I find it irritating at times, they were calling Davies "the one from Buduburam" the other day, which is stupid.

I really don't think it's race though, Ibra is always Swedish of Bosnian - Croat origins, all the Balkans players born in Spain or Switzerland get it (Bojan Krkic), they are very essentialist about identity in Spain.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist