Cyle Larin

shermanator

• 1 month later...
3 minutes ago, jonovision said:

An Ike Ugbo-Troyes situation would also be bad. Like Larin, he has barely played in 2022-23.

I meant last year Ugbo- got loaned to Troyes, scored 5 goals in 14 games, was one of the big reasons they weren't relegated. Not to mention, the reason Larin isn't playing is because Brugge has a jam at his position and probably shouldn't have signed him in the first place. The reason Ugbo isn't playing is because of Ugbo.

Larin's performance for CB this year is a lot like ZBG's for montreal. Plays very infrequently, but really good at making stuff happen in his limited run time. Think if he goes to Spain, either he ends up in MLS by September or he bags like 10 goals by season's end and becomes a fan favourite. No in between.

Cyle Larin, an option for the forward of Cádiz
Francisco José Jiménez eldesmarque-com December 19, 2022

Cádiz CF is looking at many options to strengthen the squad and one of them is Cyle Larin, a Canadian striker for Bruges who has just participated in the World Cup in Qatar with the North American country. He is a player who is on the table and who has a chance of reaching the yellow club, as ElDesmarque has learned.

He is of Jamaican origin and at the age of 27 he has gone through clubs such as Besiktas, Zulte Waregem and Orlando City. He stands out for being a striker who can play into space and who, despite measuring almost 1.90, is characterized by his speed. According to Transfermarket, his current value is six million, but there is an option for him to arrive on loan.

Larin's best season was when he was with Major League Soccer side Orlando City. In 89 games played with the American team, the  27-year-old striker  scored 44 goals.

The Canadian striker made 37 appearances for Besiktas last season and scored 8 goals. Playing a total of 109 games with the black and white team throughout his career, Larin scored 39 goals and provided 9 assists. Larin became his country's all-time top scorer with 23 goals in 44 games.

10 hours ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

Cádiz CF is looking at many options to strengthen the squad and one of them is Cyle Larin, a Canadian striker for Bruges who has just participated in the World Cup in Qatar with the North American country. He is a player who is on the table and who has a chance of reaching the yellow club, as ElDesmarque has learned.

He is of Jamaican origin and at the age of 27 he has gone through clubs such as Besiktas, Zulte Waregem and Orlando City. He stands out for being a striker who can play into space and who, despite measuring almost 1.90, is characterized by his speed. According to Transfermarket, his current value is six million, but there is an option for him to arrive on loan.

Larin's best season was when he was with Major League Soccer side Orlando City. In 89 games played with the American team, the  27-year-old striker  scored 44 goals.

The Canadian striker made 37 appearances for Besiktas last season and scored 8 goals. Playing a total of 109 games with the black and white team throughout his career, Larin scored 39 goals and provided 9 assists. Larin became his country's all-time top scorer with 23 goals in 44 games.

I want him at TFC as their third DP.

7 hours ago, SoCalTransport said:

I want him at TFC as their third DP.

A move back to MLS would likely see his minutes for canada reduced. Herdman is all about guys playing in europe. What else can he learn in MLS? The only thing i can think of, is that he gets minutes. He will probably have decent form but I doubt he pushes his ceiling higher. In La Liga he will experience a much faster speed of play which will help his development. If he can get minutes, he will be so much better off. Its too early for him to come back to mls IMO.

David is obviously our #1 and is only going to get better. 
If larin ever goes through a rough patch of scoring in the mls(which he seems to have hot and cold seasons), then Ugbo surely gets into #2 as we assume ugbo will continue to develop. Add in Jebbison, corbeanu, Brym and any youngsters/duals and its hard to see larins stock rising if he moves to MLS.

18 hours ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

I don't know if 'origen'  in Spanish has a different connotation than 'origin' in English, but I find it annoying that these European journalists always feel the need to highlight that our players somehow aren't Canadian. He was born in Brampton and played youth soccer in Brampton and Mississauga. As far as I know, he never lived in Jamaica, nor did he ever have any connection with their youth teams etc. His parents' 'origen' (at least one of them) is Jamaica, not his. Apparently, we still haven't eliminated the 'Canadians can't play soccer' bias for some Europeans, so they always have to point to some connection to a 'legitimate' football nation. They do this with Davies every time they talk about him, as if his toddler years in Ghana were somehow the formative part of his soccer career.

27 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

A move back to MLS would likely see his minutes for canada reduced. Herdman is all about guys playing in europe. What else can he learn in MLS? The only thing i can think of, is that he gets minutes. He will probably have decent form but I doubt he pushes his ceiling higher. In La Liga he will experience a much faster speed of play which will help his development. If he can get minutes, he will be so much better off. Its too early for him to come back to mls IMO.

David is obviously our #1 and is only going to get better. 
If larin ever goes through a rough patch of scoring in the mls(which he seems to have hot and cold seasons), then Ugbo surely gets into #2 as we assume ugbo will continue to develop. Add in Jebbison, corbeanu, Brym and any youngsters/duals and its hard to see larins stock rising if he moves to MLS.

He's not getting any younger, it's time to cash in...

7 minutes ago, SoCalTransport said:

He's not getting any younger, it's time to cash in...

He's 27... Thats his prime. I think we have very different views on when its time to cash in. Surely you dont think its time for grealish, kimmich, martial etc to quit striving towards playing at the highest level, because they are not getting any younger. I sure hope we don't encourage all our players to stop playing in europe at 27. Millar, Davies, corbeanu, staq, Johnston, Kone etc would all have around 3-6 yeats left before its time to go back to MLS. Why is Larin different? If hes successful in la liga, he can command a bigger pay check in 4 years when he is actually of the age where it makes sense to go back to MLS.

50 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

A move back to MLS would likely see his minutes for canada reduced. Herdman is all about guys playing in europe. What else can he learn in MLS? 

Who is actually doing enough to take his spot though?

Currently no one is.

Only David is ahead of him on the depth chart still.

8 hours ago, Obinna said:

Great move, but only if it is a loan. If they survive and he plays well and scores goals, I would happily like to see it become permanent. Otherwise, he can return to Brugge with La Liga minutes under his belt. 

Does he realistically have a future at Brugge? He’s their third or fourth stringer, and with how much they spent on Yaremchuk, after they already had Larin suggests to me that they can purchase Jutgla’s replacement if they do sell him this year. 

A (permanent) move to Cadiz sends him to the best team he’s ever played for- if they get relegated, either he proved enough to play for another La Liga team, he plays in the second division, or he returns to MLS and makes his money. I think realistically the only way Larin is a significant part of CANMNT through the next cycle is if he steps up a level and remains there. He’ll be 31 in 2026, so I don’t think being a backup at a team like Brugge or something similar is enough for him to make, or at least play real minutes at the next World Cup, therefore I think he needs to boom or bust.

1 minute ago, InglewoodJack said:

Does he realistically have a future at Brugge? He’s their third or fourth stringer, and with how much they spent on Yaremchuk, after they already had Larin suggests to me that they can purchase Jutgla’s replacement if they do sell him this year. 

A (permanent) move to Cadiz sends him to the best team he’s ever played for- if they get relegated, either he proved enough to play for another La Liga team, he plays in the second division, or he returns to MLS and makes his money. I think realistically the only way Larin is a significant part of CANMNT through the next cycle is if he steps up a level and remains there. He’ll be 31 in 2026, so I don’t think being a backup at a team like Brugge or something similar is enough for him to make, or at least play real minutes at the next World Cup, therefore I think he needs to boom or bust.

Yaremchuk or Jutgla or both could move on, you never know. If that happens and Cyle Larin does well for Cadiz, no need to make another purchase - you can just recall a forward who scored goals in La Liga. Pretty convenient if you're Brugge. 

Furthermore, going on loan to La Liga may set him up for a sale to a better club than Cadiz in Spain (if he does well). Or it may be Cadiz themselves who want to make it permanent. Brugge could even sell Larin to Toronto in the summer, if you're one of those wanting him to make a DP move. Either way, sending him on loan can set the table for a permanent transfer later on by getting him playing time now. 

No rush to make it permanent in my view, but a move for playing time is definitely needed.