Cyle Larin

shermanator

4 minutes ago, king1010 said:

Terrible move. Surely he couldve found somewhere to play after leaving Besiktas. 

Hindsight is easy - I suspect he anticipated playing regularly for Brugges.  

32 minutes ago, VinceA said:

I hope Herdman sees the writing on the wall and opts to run a formation with three mdifielders and one striker up top.

The problem is that involves a pretty serious rethink of our formation. David isn’t a great lone striker and plays better with a partner.  So does he get moved back to the 10 role?  And then is it Ugbo or Cav that take the lone striker position?   It just seems to involve some last minute shuffling unless Larin is in the mix.  And I suspect Herdman will still look at his international play to date and see him as warranting a starting spot even if his club minutes are poor. 

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

The problem is that involves a pretty serious rethink of our formation. David isn’t a great lone striker and plays better with a partner.  So does he get moved back to the 10 role?  And then is it Ugbo or Cav that take the lone striker position?   It just seems to involve some last minute shuffling unless Larin is in the mix.  And I suspect Herdman will still look at his international play to date and see him as warranting a starting spot even if his club minutes are poor. 

David's been a lone striker for Lille as of late and it is working nciely.

5 hours ago, VinceA said:

David's been a lone striker for Lille as of late and it is working nciely.

Yeah. I have seen that. Personally, I would consider starting him alone up top both against Belgium and Croatia so that we can play the counter against them.  I especially think that would be effective against Belgium who have an aging and slow Defense and play 3 at the back.  Perhaps you bring on a second striker in the second half of you need a goal and when the other sides midfielders begin to tire.  We have the luxury of people in the middle like Eustaquio and Kone who can cover a lot of ground, especially the former. 

so I would go with a similar line up to how we effectively played Mexico in Azteca with 

David 

Davies Osorio/Arfield Buchanan

Eustaquio Hutch/Kone

Adekugbe Miller Vitoria Johnston

i know I have Arfield but I think with injuries to Hutch and Osorio and Kaye out of form and game shape, you need to bring him in and he and Osorio can share minutes at that sort of 10/8 role depending on Osorio’s fitness and Atfield’s integration with the side.

I have Hutch in midfield but it really depends on how his recovery goes and his fitness.  But even if you can get 45 or 60 minutes out of him, I think he starts and you have Kone or Piette or Kaye replace him in the second half depending on the opponent. So I would use 2 of our 5 subs in midfield in the second half.  I think you will see David, Davies, Buchanan and Eustaquio play pretty much all the available minutes other than perhaps 10 or 15 at the end of matches if we are out of it or cruising (the latter unlikely but not impossible).  So that really only gives you two slots in the front 6 to play with on subs so you can manage that quite effectively.  Of course, you could see a Johnston or Adekugbe be subbed for an attacker and Davies and or Buchanan be switch to full back even we need a goal.

7 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

We don't need two strikers when you have Davies and Tajon on the wings, they cover enough ground and are scary good in the box.  Canada showing up to the WC and playing two strikers vs Croatia and Belgium is kinda crazy.

1 hour ago, TGAA_Star said:

But Brugge is a Champions League side in Belgium so I fail to see how that's a terrible move. If anything it is a good move.

Because hes not even making the bench…

Im saying in hindsight its a terrible move before the wc because one of our leading scorers during wcq is barely making the bench half the time

Edited by king1010

In retrospect the move has been terrible but we were pretty unanimously positive about it when first announced. It wasn’t a move clearly above his level (like EPL would have been) - he can be successful with Brugge but the squad is very strong and deep right now. Even Yaremchuck isn’t playing much. 

Edited by Floortom

15 hours ago, costarg said:

We don't need two strikers when you have Davies and Tajon on the wings, they cover enough ground and are scary good in the box.  Canada showing up to the WC and playing two strikers vs Croatia and Belgium is kinda crazy.

Agreed.  We have an ideal, world class front 3 with Davies, David and Buchanan.  Teams will be more than a little frightened of that front.

We will really need that 3rd midfielder against Belgium and Croatia.

Injuries to Osorio and Hutch plus Kaye being out of form really complicates things.  We are thin at midfielder.

But if we don’t have a 3rd midfielder I think we could get run out of the game.  

8 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

He was scratched during warm up of their Champions league game this week. He probably had a knock of some sort. Really hope it isn't serious.

When the commentator was talking about the multiple Brugge players who were missing, Larin's name was included, though he didn't get into specifics on Cyle (spoke more on Noa Lang and his injury). 

Edited by Obinna

26 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

This is my preferred starting attacking trident and if all are healthy, they'll be starting that first match in Qatar.

So long as Davies and Buchanan don’t get too cute and own the fact that they too sometimes need to put their foot through the ball and on target those 3 will be absolutely a problem against damn well near anyone at the WC. 

17 minutes ago, grigorio said:

So long as Davies and Buchanan don’t get too cute and own the fact that they too sometimes need to put their foot through the ball and on target those 3 will be absolutely a problem against damn well near anyone at the WC. 

I like the pace, the threat of making something out of nothing from AD and TB, complemented by the soccer IQ and finishing of David, the interchange and movement you can get, plus the underrated aerial threat that Buchanon poses, and you get yourself one spicy meatball.

On 10/15/2022 at 7:11 PM, Bertuzzi44 said:

Has Larin been bad for Canada? Why are we trying to drop him?

Larin was hardly playing for Besiktas when he scored the most goals in the region in CONCACAF World Cup qualifying. I think his style of being a poacher works well with our team having so many play makers attacking from the wings.

1 hour ago, jhoops__ said:

Not sure Larin starts with his current form.  It’s irrational to start him v Belgium after playing so little for 4 months…

It was mentioned on the broadcast against Qatar that despite the lack of game action this is the fittest he's been. I know there's more to form than just being fit but being as fit as he can be makes it less irrational, perhaps?

His PT is definitely a big concern, but it's not as if he hasn't played at all. He's made 8 appearances and scored a goal. More importantly, he played (and scored) with Canada last window and (I am sure) will play against Japan.

If he's looking sharp despite the lack of Brugge game-time, he'll be in contention to start. If not, he won't. Same for all players. 

Edited by Obinna