Cyle Larin

shermanator

6 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Larin wasn’t horrible against Uruguay. He actually had a few good moments but that’s typical from this crowd.

Larin and David actually aren’t bad together these days. If you were going to start one of them I don’t think it’s so clear cut - see Larin vs USA away and Mexico at home vs. David against Mexico away.

David: 4 games against USA/Mexico - 1 assist 

Larin: 3 games against US/Mexico - 4 goals 

Well what we saw against Uruguay and there's a big chance this happens in the WC, is that we'll have 1 or 2 chances all game to score. If all Larin can do is score a goal but even then can't because he needs an extra touch or we're 10v11 because he can't get involved in the game at all we're in trouble.

39 minutes ago, VinceA said:

Well what we saw against Uruguay and there's a big chance this happens in the WC, is that we'll have 1 or 2 chances all game to score. If all Larin can do is score a goal but even then can't because he needs an extra touch or we're 10v11 because he can't get involved in the game at all we're in trouble.

I guess some of us saw a different game then. Sure, he missed once chance but he had some decent moments in build up and contributed to an attack that out-chanced Uruguay. Hardly a player that made us a man down ... this isn’t 2018/2019 Larin.

17 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Larin wasn’t horrible against Uruguay. He actually had a few good moments but that’s typical from this crowd.

Larin and David actually aren’t bad together these days. If you were going to start one of them I don’t think it’s so clear cut - see Larin vs USA away and Mexico at home vs. David against Mexico away.

David: 4 games against USA/Mexico - 1 assist 

Larin: 3 games against US/Mexico - 4 goals 

Wait, you don’t think it’s clear cut who starts between Larin and David?

Hard to pick someone who isn't playing and he need to do better with his chances against a World Cup level team.

That said, David is best with another striker.  We need a body to hold up things on the break, which is how we are probably going to need to score against those teams.  

If we go 343 (not my prefered) Larin maybe stays in the three up top and Tajon is a wingback. 

33 minutes ago, jhoops__ said:

If Larin continues to not see the pitch I don’t know how  he starts v Belgium…

He might be a great super sub.

In our current state I could see us playing a 5-3-2-1 with a front 3 of AD, JD, and TB.

JD
AD-TB
SE-JO-AH
SA-KM-SE-AJ-RL

Edit: I just started watching the game recently…clearly🤪

Edited by Shway

17 hours ago, Shway said:

He might be a great super sub.

In our current state I could see us playing a 5-3-2-1 with a front 3 of AD, JD, and TB.

JD
AD-TB
SE-JO-AH
SA-KM-SE-AJ-RL

Edit: I just started watching the game recently…clearly🤪

Unfortunately I don't see how we possibly have JO and AH as starters in November.  They'll both be rusty as hell.

On 10/5/2022 at 1:19 PM, costarg said:

Unfortunately I don't see how we possibly have JO and AH as starters in November.  They'll both be rusty as hell.

And probably even less likely we get 2 Stephen Eustaquio's on the pitch at a time.

I assume the defender SE was supposed to be SV? Could also be SK but less likely.

9 minutes ago, footballfreak said:

I realize Brugge fans aren’t enamoured with him, but he has 2.24 xG in only 180 mins of play so he must be doing something right. 

He would probably have a goal today but Vanaken went full Bamba and cost his team a goal when he should have just squared it for Larin.

26 minutes ago, footballfreak said:

I realize Brugge fans aren’t enamoured with him, but he has 2.24 xG in only 180 mins of play so he must be doing something right. 

That stat doesn’t tell you anything about doing things right. It says he has fewer goals than he should. If you take a penalty and miss, which would raise your xG, it doesn’t mean you’re doing something right. 

53 minutes ago, footballfreak said:

0.75 of that would be from a missed penalty attempt. 

0.7npXG / 90 is still very good but its a small sample size and doubtful he could sustain that.

10 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

That stat doesn’t tell you anything about doing things right. It says he has fewer goals than he should. If you take a penalty and miss, which would raise your xG, it doesn’t mean you’re doing something right. 

That’s an imperfect understanding of xG. Getting into high leverage positions that produce xG is a sign of doing what you are supposed to do as a goalscorer. If he consistently underperformed his xG over a larger sample size, then that would be a cause for concern, but in general you would always prefer to have a striker on high xG and low production than one on low xG and low production. A low xG player may occasionally over-perform on small sample size, but he’s much more likely to regress over a season. 

Larin tends to have more difficulty generating chances than finishing them. If he continues getting chances, sooner or later they start going in regularly. That’s been true everywhere he has played. 

10 hours ago, Floortom said:

0.75 of that would be from a missed penalty attempt. 

0.7npXG / 90 is still very good but its a small sample size and doubtful he could sustain that.

Certainly it’s not sustainable. My point was just that the doom and gloom around him seems hyperbolic. Admittedly I haven’t been able to watch his games, but it’s not exactly unheard of for strikers to get slow starts with new teams where the timing isn’t quite there.

Edited by footballfreak

What I am finding odd is how Bruges are resting strikers against weaker rivals in the league, and often that means getting behind and playing catchup. In matches they should be winning. Did that against Standard and now this match too. 

I appreciate that Jutglà wasn't in the line-up, but they sat Larin and Buchanan. I did not see the game but they did far outshoot the rival, had possession, lost by 2nd half goals. But still: start the attackers.

I suppose they are "resting" for the midweek CL games, with such an intense schedule and the chance now of getting out of their group. Or even winning it. 

7 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

What I am finding odd is how Bruges are resting strikers against weaker rivals in the league, and often that means getting behind and playing catchup. In matches they should be winning. Did that against Standard and now this match too. 

I appreciate that Jutglà wasn't in the line-up, but they sat Larin and Buchanan. I did not see the game but they did far outshoot the rival, had possession, lost by 2nd half goals. But still: start the attackers.

I suppose they are "resting" for the midweek CL games, with such an intense schedule and the chance now of getting out of their group. Or even winning it. 

Buchanan isn’t fit enough to be playing twice a week yet. Midweek Champions League is probably all he can handle right now.

11 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Remember as well Belgium has that really weird league format.

That's basically why they won the league last year when it looked like Union St. Gilliose was running away with it.