Cyle Larin

shermanator

20 hours ago, SoCalTransport said:

I think if LAFC or TFC played Club Brugge it would be a competitive game.

I hate to break it to you, but there is a massive difference between LAFC vs TFC, they're in the same league, but not really in "the same league".  There is literally a whole league of teams between the two. 

If you feel LAFC can compete with CB, then CB is way to strong for TFC.

3 minutes ago, costarg said:

I hate to break it to you, but there is a massive difference between LAFC vs TFC, they're in the same league, but not really in "the same league".  There is literally a whole league of teams between the two. 

If you feel LAFC can compete with CB, then CB is way to strong for TFC.

With Larin, and some new CBs, we all know they can 😜

4 minutes ago, sose said:

He really needs to get some quality minutes in the next 5 weeks leading up to the world cup.  He's not sharp at all.

Even when he's been sharp he occasionally is poor for the national team. He has a terrible habit of not being switched on for a full 90' and against better teams that means he'll be easily marked out of games.

4 hours ago, Obinna said:

I am sure regular minutes with Brugge wouldn't hurt, but I don't think you can expect more from Larin in the build up. The poor touch on that shooting chance would have been sharper if he was in scoring form, but otherwise I think he was Cyle Larin today.

yea.. i think if he was on form he would have taken that shot one time instead of even taking a touch.

34 minutes ago, frmr said:

If Larin gets no playing time before the World Cup, I certainly don't think he's going to be on any starting XI. He was already looking a step behind against Uruguay.

He ripped a goal against Qatar like he does for Canada nearly every other game, despite barely playing this season for club. Unless Ugbo is over a goal a game from here to the WC, and even then, I would be shocked if Herdman wasn’t going with Larin.

1 minute ago, InglewoodJack said:

He ripped a goal against Qatar like he does for Canada nearly every other game, despite barely playing this season for club. Unless Ugbo is over a goal a game from here to the WC, and even then, I would be shocked if Herdman wasn’t going with Larin.

That's not saying a lot against an extremely poor Qatar. Half the team should have scored against them, and it was essentially a free header. Uruguay is more the level we will see in the World Cup, and he was clearly a level below. Like I said, if he gets literally no game time between now and Qatar (which isn't out of the realm of possibility now, since he's not even making the squad), I think Herdman has to look at other possibilities. Maybe a 3-4-3 with Davies-David-Buchanan as a front three. You can't really a play player in the World Cup who hasn't kicked a competitive ball in months.

So are Brugge a secret partner club with Besiktas and are punishing Cyle or is Larin just an awful trainer?

Likely neither but it's not the first time he has been out in the cold and was always the risk looking for pastures green and more money when things were working at Besiktas. Not to say he still wouldn't have been replaced there too. Life is short and I don't think he was wrong to look for better than Besiktas were offering him. Hope things fall in his favour to get more minutes.

1 hour ago, InglewoodJack said:

With Noa Lang back I have no idea where Larin is supposed to find minutes. Sad that he might not play much before the World Cup.

Yaremchuk, Lang, Buchanan, Skov Olsen all on the bench. Larin isnt going to see minutes unless there are a whole wack of injuries. 

Not sure if his agent knew this situation going into the transfer. 

1 hour ago, frmr said:

That's not saying a lot against an extremely poor Qatar. Half the team should have scored against them, and it was essentially a free header. Uruguay is more the level we will see in the World Cup, and he was clearly a level below. Like I said, if he gets literally no game time between now and Qatar (which isn't out of the realm of possibility now, since he's not even making the squad), I think Herdman has to look at other possibilities. Maybe a 3-4-3 with Davies-David-Buchanan as a front three. You can't really a play player in the World Cup who hasn't kicked a competitive ball in months.

Yep, front 3 of AD JD TB makes sense…

30 minutes ago, jhoops__ said:

Yep, front 3 of AD JD TB makes sense…

I've always felt that this would be our starting trio up top much sooner than later.  However, I believe that Larin has really improved his overall game and I really hope he can get matches in order to get his sharpness back and be more prepared in starting our first match in Qatar.

3 hours ago, frmr said:

I don't buy this. We've established that Larin will rarely pass the eye test if he doesn't score - but he's scored against the U.S. and Mexico twice. He literally scored in Champions League a year ago. He's not a level below - he just a very good finisher who doesn't do a lot else. 

The reason why I've come to accept David-Larin is because we don't have much of a choice. David has never once looked good as a lone striker. Larin has, but he obviously shouldn't be starting over David. The truth is, they don't work well together, but they're both such good finishers that they find a way to score anyway.  

31 minutes ago, PiedPilko said:

I don't buy this. We've established that Larin will rarely pass the eye test if he doesn't score - but he's scored against the U.S. and Mexico twice. He literally scored in Champions League a year ago. He's not a level below - he just a very good finisher who doesn't do a lot else. 

The reason why I've come to accept David-Larin is because we don't have much of a choice. David has never once looked good as a lone striker. Larin has, but he obviously shouldn't be starting over David. The truth is, they don't work well together, but they're both such good finishers that they find a way to score anyway.  

Larin wasn’t horrible against Uruguay. He actually had a few good moments but that’s typical from this crowd.

Larin and David actually aren’t bad together these days. If you were going to start one of them I don’t think it’s so clear cut - see Larin vs USA away and Mexico at home vs. David against Mexico away.

David: 4 games against USA/Mexico - 1 assist 

Larin: 3 games against US/Mexico - 4 goals 

Edited by CanadaFan123