Cyle Larin

shermanator

15 minutes ago, Obinna said:

If he's a real one he won't be at Brugge for long. 

Perhaps CB see Larin as a guy who eases the transition when these superstars in the making come and go. Brugge are a selling club, but you need reliable and proven goal scorers to ensure continuity along the way. I see this being Cyle Larin's role. I think he will get his run as a starter at Brugge, eventually, but he'll also come off the bench on many occasions, as we are seeing now. CB are serial European contestants, so at least they'll be plenty of CL or EL football to go around during his 3-year contract. He'll score lots of goals for the club, I am sure. That said, this probably won't be the last time he'll find himself behind an emerging star. I am preparing myself to get used to it.

Worried in the sense that I'd like Larin to head to Qatar on a roll, but I'm not worried about his long term prospects. Jutgla is a 23 year old Spanish product of Barcelona, his time at CB is definitely not lasting much longer than a season or so. Don't know much about him, but from what little I've seen from CB this season, he's bound for Italy or back to Spain or somewhere like that in the not to distant future.

7 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I am actually more nervous for Buchanan. His replacement (I believe the name is "Olsen") has been playing in Tajon's position and appears to be doing very well. I haven't watched myself, but he has 3 goals in 3 games. He is a Danish international with 7 goals in 29 games if I recall correctly, was acquired from a Serie A club, and is the same age as Tajon. He hasn't won the trophies and awards like Buchanan (GC best 11, young player of the tournament, SS with NE, MLS Allstar, etc.), but he does have more games and goals under his belt and with a Serie A club on his resume too. 

Just something to watch. Maybe it pushes Tajon to another position when he comes back into the fold?

I don't know much about this guy, but looking at some lineups from last season, it seems that they've had a lot of success with Olsen on the right and Tajon on the left. They started both during most of the playoffs when both were healthy.

8 minutes ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

Competition is good. I believe in our boys. Let's go

Larin's always been one to raise his level as needed when he looked like he was down the pecking order at previous clubs. It's a great trait (one shared by a few of his Canada teammates), and it'll serve him well at Club Brugge.

Watched Larin play on Sunday vs Kortrijk. He is playing very well in all aspects of the game...hold up, build up, passing and combining, getting into right spaces, work rate, defensive contributions....except for the most critical aspect ...scoring.  He had a good  chance to the left of goal but did not make good  contact with the ball. Then in extra time he was set up with a glorious chance to the right of goal and definitely should have scored but couldn't get his shot past the keeper. Larin fits in really well with Brugge he just needs to get that first goal. It's unfortunate he hit the post on that penalty in his first game. 

Apparently he's the most expensive purchase in belgian history. He had some really good success with Jonny David at Gent, so at Brugge him and Jutgla could really be lethal, and that might be bad news bears for Cyle. But for a purchase of that level, you have to imagine he's a long term fix for them and they'll sell Jutgla within the year.

TSN / CTV features Cyle Larin in its recent WC ad, pointing out how big a role he played for Canada during qualifying and hinting at what he might do for us in Qatar. Seems like bad timing. I hope he starts getting some minutes. 

Edit: I suppose I should share the link. It doesn't seem to be working for me anymore. Not sure why.

https://www.tsn.ca/fifa-world-cup/video/2022-fifa-world-cup-canada-s-big-game-goal-scorer~2515244

Edited by DeRo_Is_King

32 minutes ago, DeRo_Is_King said:

TSN / CTV features Cyle Larin in its recent WC ad, pointing out how big a role he played for Canada during qualifying and hinting at what he might do for us in Qatar. Seems like bad timing. I hope he starts getting some minutes. 

Edit: I suppose I should share the link. It doesn't seem to be working for me anymore. Not sure why.

https://www.tsn.ca/fifa-world-cup/video/2022-fifa-world-cup-canada-s-big-game-goal-scorer~2515244

Except for the last game, Larin has been getting consistent sub mins, played well, created scoring chances, been in position to score but hasn't finished. It's going to be more challenging for mins now with the Yaremchuk signing unless Brugge move Jutgla or Lang.

1 minute ago, king1010 said:

Yaremchuk subbed on for Jutgla. That would have been Larin had Yaremchuk not signed. 

Shame, but I don't blame Brugge. They signed him Larin on a free. If he doesn't meet expectations at least they don't lose on the transfer fee, just the salary. And when you have Cyle misfiring, and you get the chance to sign a player like Yaremchuk, you take it. He is basically the same age as Larin, but he's a more proven player in Belgium. No brainer for them.

Larin will get his chance eventually, and he'll have to take it. I still have belief he'll figure it out eventually, even if he has to go out on loan (like at Besiktas). Larin has been in this situation before and knows how to navigate it. It's just too bad it happened when it did, but that's the risk he took when he chose not to re-sign with Besiktas.