Cyle Larin

shermanator

There's no evidence that having NT players on the same club team benefits a NT. Not for ours, and not really others, unless you argue a German team being majority Bayern or the Barça midfield when Spain won the WC. When you're also at the highest of levels anyways. It could also make you softer in ways because you take things for granted. Just a thought. 

Was thinking about how the Turks seemed out of sync at Lille, to give an example. All the Dutch back when at Barça did not really benefit their national team. Many great NTs tend to rely on what you'd expect, all players at high level clubs but totally diverse ones. Our team is a good example of this. 

I know we'd like to see Laryea somewhere decent, but I'd be just as happy about him in a Ligue 1 side or at PSV. We don't need him at Bruges. 

8 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

There's no evidence that having NT players on the same club team benefits a NT. Not for ours, and not really others, unless you argue a German team being majority Bayern or the Barça midfield when Spain won the WC. When you're also at the highest of levels anyways. It could also make you softer in ways because you take things for granted. Just a thought. 

Was thinking about how the Turks seemed out of sync at Lille, to give an example. All the Dutch back when at Barça did not really benefit their national team. Many great NTs tend to rely on what you'd expect, all players at high level clubs but totally diverse ones. Our team is a good example of this. 

I know we'd like to see Laryea somewhere decent, but I'd be just as happy about him in a Ligue 1 side or at PSV. We don't need him at Bruges. 

I get what you are saying, and it would be a hard (if not impossible) thing to actually prove, but I can’t help but think that there would be better chemistry between payers who  play together at club level and whose positions involve frequent interplay.  I would think that playing together would help someone know where and when a guy is likely to make a run or thread through a line-splitting pass.  

41 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I get what you are saying, and it would be a hard (if not impossible) thing to actually prove, but I can’t help but think that there would be better chemistry between payers who  play together at club level and whose positions involve frequent interplay.  I would think that playing together would help someone know where and when a guy is likely to make a run or thread through a line-splitting pass.  

I think what we've seen is that it's the coach's job, and you can get it right regardless of where the players are playing.

We've had a brutally tight back line that rarely missed an assignment, being a senior CB in Portugal between 2 MLSers who had hardly ever seen each other previously. Then wing backs who mostly helped and almost always. 

But yes, we still feel Larin and David could connect better. Our midfield possession could work better, in general our creative game is still lacking in the middle. Davies is often a bit off and could connect better with teammates.

Are those things that you solve by having guys on the same club team? Or can a good coaching staff polish them up (which is what will have to happen anyways)? 

16 hours ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

Solid league, solid club, should get playing time but will still need to perform. 

And nice kits.

What's not to like? :D

The Jan Breydel Stadium is about 3,000 colours, but none of them goes with their kit, thanks to ground sharing with those Cercle Brugge bastards.  That's going to eat away at me with two of our best playing there.  

Edited by vancanman

1 minute ago, masster said:

Club Brugge chasing Vedat Muriqi according to Gianluca Di Marzio (and if he is reporting it, there is most likely some truth to it).

https://football-italia.net/club-brugge-want-lazio-outcast-muriqi/

Potential extra competition for Larin. Do we have any idea what the new coach's favored formation is?

There are also rumours that De Ketelaere is on his way out

Too bad when Tajon was alone at Brugge the general Brugge news was all there--now it is split, so here goes.

Champions League draw is on August 25, and the pots for Club Brugge are clear already. Unless Benfica doesn't qualify, then one of a few Pot 4 teams will bounce up to Pot 3. So Bruges are in Pot 4, and will face very tough competition. 

The entire group stage gets done in just over 2 months, 6 midweek matches. Should actually be a very intense and fun few months before the WC.

If I am lucky Barça will be in a group with Porto and Club Brugge.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/uefa-champions-league/story/4675845/champions-league-seeds-set-for-2022-23-group-stage-draw

POT 1
Eintracht Frankfurt
Manchester City
Real Madrid
AC Milan
Bayern Munich
Paris Saint-Germain
FC Porto
Ajax

POT 2
Liverpool
Chelsea
Barcelona
Juventus
Atletico Madrid
Sevilla
RB Leipzig
Tottenham Hotspur

POT 3
Borussia Dortmund
FC Salzburg
Shakhtar Donetsk
Inter Milan
Napoli
Benfica (if qualify)
Sporting CP
Bayer Leverkusen

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Anyone else been watching Larin's performances with Brugge? His hustle & work rate has been very good and is getting into decent space. In the last game he came close but was in tight with the keeper as was the angle. I haven't seen entire 90 mins so not sure how the service has been for Jutgla, but Larin hasn't had much coming in as a sub.

Jutgla is making me nervous for Larin. He’s younger, starting over him, and playing really well.

7th highest Fotmob rating in Belgium, 2nd most G + A, 2nd most shots on target, he’s a real one. Still early in the season, but Larin seems stuck behind a real one. CB shouldn’t have a problem with goals this year. 

Edited by InglewoodJack

6 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Jutgla is making me nervous for Larin. He’s younger, starting over him, and playing really well.

7th highest Fotmob rating in Belgium, 2nd most G + A, 2nd most shots on target, he’s a real one. Still early in the season, but Larin seems stuck behind a real one. CB shouldn’t have a problem with goals this year. 

If he's a real one he won't be at Brugge for long. 

Perhaps CB see Larin as a guy who eases the transition when these superstars in the making come and go. Brugge are a selling club, but you need reliable and proven goal scorers to ensure continuity along the way. I see this being Cyle Larin's role. I think he will get his run as a starter at Brugge, eventually, but he'll also come off the bench on many occasions, as we are seeing now. CB are serial European contestants, so at least they'll be plenty of CL or EL football to go around during his 3-year contract. He'll score lots of goals for the club, I am sure. That said, this probably won't be the last time he'll find himself behind an emerging star. I am preparing myself to get used to it.

I am actually more nervous for Buchanan. His replacement (I believe the name is "Olsen") has been playing in Tajon's position and appears to be doing very well. I haven't watched myself, but he has 3 goals in 3 games. He is a Danish international with 7 goals in 29 games if I recall correctly, was acquired from a Serie A club, and is the same age as Tajon. He hasn't won the trophies and awards like Buchanan (GC best 11, young player of the tournament, SS with NE, MLS Allstar, etc.), but he does have more games and goals under his belt and with a Serie A club on his resume too. 

Just something to watch. Maybe it pushes Tajon to another position when he comes back into the fold?