Cyle Larin

shermanator

18 hours ago, Atlantic said:

I’m starting to warm up to him moving to Olympiacos. It’s a league level where he should score plenty and they should at the very least advance to the playoff round of UCL qualifying. I’d also be happy if he ended up with one of the Dutch/Belgian UCL bound clubs but don’t think there’s ever been interest there. 

Ask you shall receive 😊

The more I think about this, the more I think this is really the best situation possible for him. Step up from Turkey, not too high though, gets to play with another top Canadian player, champions league, regular playing time, really cool move. I think with this, if I’m not mistaken, all of our top players are now in a top 8 league (top 5 + PT, ND, BE) which is also really cool. One step closer to the dream of having 5 guys in top 5 leagues.

6 hours ago, Obinna said:

Did Bast Dost move on?

According to TransferMarkt, he has signed with Utrecht.

Brugge have signed a young striker, Ferran Jutgla, from Barcelona. I don't know anything about him but he seems to be a smaller striker so perhaps not a direct competition for Cyle. I expect @Unnamed Trialist could provide some insight.

3 minutes ago, Norrin Radd said:

Brugge have signed a young striker, Ferran Jutgla, from Barcelona. I don't know anything about him but he seems to be a smaller striker so perhaps not a direct competition for Cyle. I expect @Unnamed Trialist could provide some insight.

He banged in a couple of goals in his first friendly with them a week or two ago.    

2 hours ago, Norrin Radd said:

I already gave a report on him a few pages back. 

He was an Espanyol striker then Barça brought him into the B team this year, then he got first team minutes and did well. Was the leading scoring in Spanish 3rd tier with Barça B even missing a quarter of the matches with the first team. Has great movement off and on the ball, and is a solid striker, but maybe not good enough for Barça, and as he's not an academy player they didn't have the same committment to him. Would likely play up high or behind another striker, not really a wing player.

I guess you missed the posts where I mentioned he was probably related to my sister in law, and from the same mountain valley; he has the same surname, which is rather unusual--so you also missed how I was roundly teased for always making such comments about my weird connections to Catalan players.

I personally think them signing Larin is a steal, he's going to do very well, and should be compatible with Jutglà (pronounced jewt-GLAH).

19 hours ago, frmr said:

Because the Premier League is the toughest league in the world and many players much better than Larin have failed to adapt to that league. Saying that because Larin eventually found success in Turkey means that he would be a success in England is a massive stretch.

not at all but okay, twist it whichever way you want.

12 hours ago, cronaldo7 said:

Excited for his next chapter. 

Everywhere he has gone, he’s succeeded. Even through his struggles with the National team and at Besiktas, he’s always come out the other side achieving massive individual success.

Especially after his stint at Zulte Waregem, I think he’ll come out flying in the Belgian top-flight.

he only struggled with the national team because we placed ridiculous expectations on him during a time when he was the only piece of youth and potential the team had. It was unfair. Put good players around a good player and good things were bound to happen.

4 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I already gave a report on him a few pages back. 

He was an Espanyol striker then Barça brought him into the B team this year, then he got first team minutes and did well. Was the leading scoring in Spanish 3rd tier with Barça B even missing a quarter of the matches with the first team. Has great movement off and on the ball, and is a solid striker, but maybe not good enough for Barça, and as he's not an academy player they didn't have the same committment to him. Would likely play up high or behind another striker, not really a wing player.

I guess you missed the posts where I mentioned he was probably related to my sister in law, and from the same mountain valley; he has the same surname, which is rather unusual--so you also missed how I was roundly teased for always making such comments about my weird connections to Catalan players.

I personally think them signing Larin is a steal, he's going to do very well, and should be compatible with Jutglà (pronounced jewt-GLAH).

I might have seen the previous post but I probably scanned it too quickly. Thanks for the recap.

Overall I like this move, but I am curious to see how Club Bruge adapts and evolves.  Clement did a great job building them over a few years into a top Belgium team.  He jumped to Monaco last year.  Schreuder replaced him and the team eventually adapted to the new manager in time to again win the league based on performances in the playoff rounds. Schreuder than jumps to Ajax, and now they are left with a third manager in less than a year.  The new manager seems green, and this where my only concerns come from.  Can Hoefkens jump in and get the best of Larin and Buchanan? 

On 7/4/2022 at 11:11 AM, Obinna said:

Pretty satisfied with this outcome!

Did Bast Dost move on?

Either way, CL football with his boy, Buchanan. NF should loan Laryea to Brugge for the Toronto trifecta! 

Not just a Toronto trifecta, it would even be a Sigma trifecta! All 3 of them played with Sigma in L1O (and younger I believe).

15 minutes ago, Kent said:

Not just a Toronto trifecta, it would even be a Sigma trifecta! All 3 of them played with Sigma in L1O (and younger I believe).

That’s actually crazy. It’ll go a long way with kids in their program if they show up to the facilities and there are pictures of their former players, not only playing for Canada, but the best team in Belgium. That’s more than enough motivation to show up to the pitch a little earlier every morning.