Cyle Larin

shermanator

They call this the silly season for a reason.  There will be reports that seem realistic and credible, but 90% don't transpire.  Here's an article about Larin going to Nottingham Forest put out today.  They are in advanced talks..lol

https://www.footballtransfertavern.com/nottingham-forest-news/forest-cyle-larin-besiktas-latest-transfer-news-rumours/

16 minutes ago, prairiecanuck said:

They call this the silly season for a reason.  There will be reports that seem realistic and credible, but 90% don't transpire.  Here's an article about Larin going to Nottingham Forest put out today.  They are in advanced talks..lol

https://www.footballtransfertavern.com/nottingham-forest-news/forest-cyle-larin-besiktas-latest-transfer-news-rumours/

Well at least if Olympiakos and Forest have the same owner, it makes some sense. And the level is about right, ignoring his weak season at Besiktas.

Anyone with proven goal-scoring on a free transfer and wanting 2 million euros salary has be given a look at.

6 hours ago, Metro said:

https://www.sport24.gr/football/o-olympiakos-enteinei-tis-prospatheies-gia-mpalntok-larin-i-kamara-kai-epiteliko-chaf.9668108.amp.html

And this one reports that Olympiakos is still chasing him with Gala and West Ham(!) also in the hunt

Then if he stays in the Turkish league, then going from Besiktas to Galatasaray is actually a bad move. But Cyle should have left Turkey already to be honest.

Plus if he were to go to the Premier League and play for a team like West Ham, would it really be the worst thing?

Would be disappointing. I would rather he play for Galatasaray or even Olympiacos. 

The level in MLS is fine, but depending on how the season goes he could be inactive for a while heading into Qatar. We don't need another player in that situation, especially one of our top scorers. 

The other thing is that playing in Europe I think keeps the top 5 league move within grasp, even with those aforementioned clubs. By contrast, I don't see him moving to a top 5 league from LAFC or NYCFC. Not saying it would be impossible, but it just becomes less likely in my mind.

If Larin comes back to the MLS, he's definitely never going back to europe. It seems like he has plenty of offers elsewhere, and if he wanted money, I believe he had some Saudi offer back in January?

I still hope when this is all over he finds himself in the EFL, but the longer this goes on, the more I'm warming up to the Olympiakos rumors too.

44 minutes ago, jordan said:

He didn’t hear anything

What is the context for "yes we do" in that Adrian Heath quote? Was the question "do you speak regularly with Cyle"?

35 minutes ago, narduch said:

MLS may be the best place to get the money he wants.

Or it's all just agent story torquing.

Probably MLS is not his priority but him and/or his agent remain open to hearing from those willing to offer the compensation he's seeking.

In the end I think he may remain in Europe and possibly settle for less than he wants, but I think it'll end up being an upgrade on his 1.5M euro Besiktas salary.

46 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

If Larin comes back to the MLS, he's definitely never going back to europe. It seems like he has plenty of offers elsewhere, and if he wanted money, I believe he had some Saudi offer back in January?

I still hope when this is all over he finds himself in the EFL, but the longer this goes on, the more I'm warming up to the Olympiakos rumors too.

I agree and it's why I don't think he'll go back for an extra 1M a year. That's a lot of extra money but hard to imagine it's enough for him to give up on playing at the highest level, which is what's going to happen in MLS. The league is a great stepping stone for young players, or a good place to wrap up your career, but Cyle is kind of in the middle. It's too early to come back and the league already served him well as a stepping stone, so what's the point? An extra 1M? I find it unlikely. 

7 minutes ago, Obinna said:

What is the context for "yes we do" in that Adrian Heath quote? Was the question "do you speak regularly with Cyle"?

Probably MLS is not his priority but him and/or his agent remain open to hearing from those willing to offer the compensation he's seeking.

In the end I think he may remain in Europe and possibly settle for less than he wants, but I think it'll end up being an upgrade on his 1.5M euro Besiktas salary.

I agree and it's why I don't think he'll go back for an extra 1M a year. That's a lot of extra money but hard to imagine it's enough for him to give up on playing at the highest level, which is what's going to happen in MLS. The league is a great stepping stone for young players, or a good place to wrap up your career, but Cyle is kind of in the middle. It's too early to come back and the league already served him well as a stepping stone, so what's the point? An extra 1M? I find it unlikely. 

Not to mention, say a team like, I dunno, Huddersfield town or Sheffield offer him 1M less than LAFC or New York City- how much of that raise are you spending on living in NYC or LA vs. whatever the cost of living is living in a D list market in the UK? Especially if he stays in Turkey, he's going to be keeping so much more of his money than if he moved to a heavily taxed jurisdiction.

1 minute ago, InglewoodJack said:

Not to mention, say a team like, I dunno, Huddersfield town or Sheffield offer him 1M less than LAFC or New York City- how much of that raise are you spending on living in NYC or LA vs. whatever the cost of living is living in a D list market in the UK? Especially if he stays in Turkey, he's going to be keeping so much more of his money than if he moved to a heavily taxed jurisdiction.

That's a great point I totally overlooked. He could wind up at a London club, but no other city strikes me as being LA/NYC level expensive. I wonder if that even factors in for a guy like Cyle though. Something all of us non-millionaires factor in may not even land on his radar. 

Just now, Obinna said:

That's a great point I totally overlooked. He could wind up at a London club, but no other city strikes me as being LA/NYC level expensive. I wonder if that even factors in for a guy like Cyle though. Something all of us non-millionaires factor in may not even land on his radar. 

I thought of that because if he does go MLS, I think he’d be a great on CF Montreal as a replacement for when Mihailovic eventually goes to Europe as has been speculated, but he’d be paying like 50% taxes in Quebec vs what I assume is a lot higher than in Turkey. 

I think this only becomes more of an issue the richer you get. If Larin comes to (most teams case) the MLS, after agency fees, income tax and all, he’s probably losing at least 50%, and then there’s the cost of living. No clue where MLS players live, but I can only imagine he lives like a king in Istanbul whereas in NYC or LA, he’d only be a modestly well off guy.