Cyle Larin

shermanator

1 hour ago, TGAA_Star said:

Why because under Inter or AC he would be playing for a top team in Italy and he would be in the Champions League regularly and he would be competing for league titles consistently too in Serie A

this doesn't make any sense. he wouldn't be playing. he'd be lucky to make the bench. 

may as well have him "play" for PSG

8 minutes ago, scullion44 said:

This would suck imo the Greek league is not good

it's a pretty significant step down from the turkish league, and as for european games they'll mostly get smoked in UCL/UEL. incredibly underwhelming

Edited by saladroit

18 minutes ago, saladroit said:

it's a pretty significant step down from the turkish league, and as for european games they'll mostly get smoked in UCL/UEL. incredibly underwhelming

Olypiacos did make it out of their group in last year's Europa league, but the Greek league is pretty crap.  If Forest have some injuries to their attacking players and need a striker, it would be a pretty easy switch in the January window as Marinakis owns both clubs..lol

Edited by prairiecanuck

44 minutes ago, scullion44 said:

This would suck imo the Greek league is not good

Greece is historically as good as Turkey. Maybe not the depth anymore. Not a step up, but still a major club. 

As for Greece paying oddly. So does Turkey, Romania, Serbia... It's also a way to get paid more (under the table). 

As for doing badly in Europe: Besiktas was horrible this year. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

Very little chance he's going to Italy or England. He's had a pretty bad year, and it's not just because he got benched. He lost his spot cause he struggled.

Also, Olympiacos had a good year! They beat Antwerp, Fenerbahce and Frankfurt.

Edited by PiedPilko

In all honesty, I want him to be in a place where he is pretty much guaranteed to be playing every single game in the buildup to Qatar.  Greece may not be ideal but I would put it about on par with a move to another Turkish team.  

It wouldn’t be a sexy move for sure but it wouldn’t be the worst thing if he and Besiktas are set on parting ways.  

As underwhelming as this move may be, Larin will be an everyday starter and possibly has a good chance at leading the division in goals, which is what you want heading into World Cup. A good showing in Qatar and the move could prove to be short, with suitors lining up to pluck away the Canadian and Greek League top scorer.

That's not a bad look, honestly.

Comparatively, he could go to Forest and struggle to get into the side, let alone score. At best he may pot 5-7 goals there before Qatar, but that's very optimistic. More realistically, maybe it's just a couple. At Olympiakos I would expect him to easily be in double digits before the tournament. That'll be good for his confidence. Plus there's the European Cup games. 

Fiorentina could be the best of both worlds. There's little to no chance they get crushed in league play, which is always a possibility for newly promoted teams. They get to play Europa Conference (barring a shock preliminary exit).

His competition, if leading the line, would seem to be Cabral, Millar's former Basel teammate who destroyed the Swiss League and earned a Brazil call up in the process, but only scored 2 in 14 league games and is 3 years younger than Larin, so is perhaps more of a project. The other guy seems to be a Polish International who was on loan from Hertha Berlin.

I bet Larin would get pretty decent minutes, while probably scoring more than he would at Forest, being at a better side. 

36 minutes ago, Footyeh said:

Wonder how much this has to do with his Agent being Greek and tied to the Olympiacos owner.  Wouldn't doubt its a strong financial deal but you'd think he would be pushing for a better league at his age.

I’d think it’s pretty relevant, playing under Bobby growing up surely has led to some increased interest.

11 minutes ago, Shway said:

Anyone wonder why his hair looked like that....

I'm posting this to normalize men getting hair transplants. It's okay to not be okay with balding/being bald 😁

Getting buffed for Qatar. Got to look your best. Looks like a promo for the plastic surgeon

I don’t see this being a bad move. He’ll play plenty of minutes and score plenty of goals. He’ll get some European football. 

Larin in a top 5 league won’t be a good situation. He would only be on a bottom feeder club, struggling for minutes and goals…other than the prestige I don’t see that as being favourable for Larin or Canada.

15 hours ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

Greece is cheap and beautiful. 1.5m euro will go a long way. Not the main criteria for the MNT, but good for Cyle and his family. I've also found Athens to be a super friendly city for it's size, although I haven't been for a long time.

He would actually be based in the neighbouring port city of Piraeus.  Kind of the same thing but not really. 😉

4 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Do you have a Greek club team, @Metro?

I tend to be a PAOK fan as I usually go for the non-capital teams when I can. 

I grew up an Olympiakos supporter because of my uncle. But over the years I got jaded with all the allegations of match fixing (I’m sure you’ve heard of the owner Marinakis’ story by now…his predecessor wasn’t a great guy either) so I now I’m just general fan. I will watch them as much as I can if Larin ends up there. (I was hoping Cornelius might end up there; just speculation on my part.)

There is no reason to think that Larin couldn't/wouldn't be a top goal scorer in the Greek Super League.  Although not a sexy move after some of the teams linked to him I'm actually opening up to this move.  He goes to a historical powerhouse in the country with a chance to still compete in Europe and win titles.  He would certainly be playing week in week out leading up to the World Cup.  As mentioned, there i no reason to believe he wouldn't be a top scorer in the league which will inevitably lead to interest from bigger teams from leagues.  

The biggest downside is that given his age, he may not get another shot at a top 5 league in his career.

I feel like the Greek league will always be there though. If he goes to a stronger club and it doesn’t work out, a 30 year old Larin would probably play well in Greece just like a 27 year old. Especially since if I’m not mistaken, he turned down a big payday to play in Qatar or Saudi back in January, I hope he doesn’t “sell out” to a lesser league a mere 6 months later.

6 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

I feel like the Greek league will always be there though. If he goes to a stronger club and it doesn’t work out, a 30 year old Larin would probably play well in Greece just like a 27 year old. Especially since if I’m not mistaken, he turned down a big payday to play in Qatar or Saudi back in January, I hope he doesn’t “sell out” to a lesser league a mere 6 months later.

Normally I would agree - but this is a WC year so any failed move could really set him back come November.   Going to  an EPL team getting some sub appearances in the months leading up to Qatar would be one of the worst case scenarios.  Much better for him and the CMNT if he is playing week in and week out in a still-respectable European first division.   Post World Cup he can be as experimental as he wants, but for now I prefer the option that guarantees minutes.  

28 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Normally I would agree - but this is a WC year so any failed move could really set him back come November.   Going to  an EPL team getting some sub appearances in the months leading up to Qatar would be one of the worst case scenarios.  Much better for him and the CMNT if he is playing week in and week out in a still-respectable European first division.   Post World Cup he can be as experimental as he wants, but for now I prefer the option that guarantees minutes.  

I mean, would he really be glued to the bench playing for someone like Nottingham or Brentford? I think at this point, Larin has shown that his CANMNT performances aren’t tied to his club performance, so I feel like being around for lack of a better word “World Cup quality players” is better than scoring more goals against weak opposition in Greece.

for example, he could probably play comparable/better opposition in MLS than Greece, so if we just want him playing, then might as well be Mihalovic’s replacement when Montreal inevitably loses him to Europe. 

im pretty lost in terms of what the realistic transfers for Larin is vs what people are just speculating about due to fit or money or whatever. But I am under the impression that he’s got a few better clubs interested in him where he wouldn’t be glued to the bench/DNPs all season.

Edited by InglewoodJack