Cyle Larin

shermanator

The reaction of Besiktas fans on reddit to the news can be summed up as “good riddance”. Even those being more charitable indicated Larin just isn’t worth what he’s asking for. Perhaps it’s for the best that he is moving on.

Regarding Basaksehir, my understanding was it is more or less its own distinct entity now, and the involvement Erdogan’s party in the club has greatly diminished over time. The club was a money sink not worth filling up. I could be mistaken though.

Back to Larin. I think any move within Turkey is probably a safe one to get through a World Cup year. He’s a proven, if not always consistent, player in the league and he will get playing time pretty much anywhere he goes. The same cannot necessarily be said of greener pastures. Of all the players we need to be playing regularly heading into November, Larin is one of the most important. When he’s on, he’s deadly in front of goal. When he’s off, he’s something of a mopey slacker. David, Larin, and Ugbo may all be at new clubs. Some or all may struggle. A lateral move right now isn’t the worst thing from a CMNT perspective.

Should probably have made the Marseille transfer when he had the chance. Was there a bid for him that was rejected, or did Larin not want the move? Can't recall now.

I wonder if such clubs would be interested now, the case for stability in Turkey withstanding...

You don't go from Besiktas to one of the other two big Istanbul clubs without making yourself hated (no one cares about Basaksehir).  I think the large amount credit in the bank that Atiba has would quickly disappear if he moved to Fenerbache or Galatasaray.      

Seen some rumours today about Cruz Azul, or maybe it is just fan noise. 

Also some Rangers fans. Interesting possibilities really. 

Then another from Turkey: Trabzonspor. As they won the league and go into Champions, they will have some more money and need to strengthen the squad to get anywhere in Europe. They go straight into the group stage, so that is 6 matches from September to November, would be amazing for his game readiness.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

If the CSA had a dollar for every club that is interested in Cyle Larin, we’d probably be celebrating his brace against Panama right now

edit: apparently Olympiacos also very interested too. so he may play in the premier league. Or Greece. Or maybe even Turkey. Perhaps CF Montreal could use him when they lose Mihailovic.

Edited by InglewoodJack

1 hour ago, InglewoodJack said:

If the CSA had a dollar for every club that is interested in Cyle Larin, we’d probably be celebrating his brace against Panama right now

edit: apparently Olympiacos also very interested too. so he may play in the premier league. Or Greece. Or maybe even Turkey. Perhaps CF Montreal could use him when they lose Mihailovic.

Richie helping out his boy.

On 6/6/2022 at 9:36 AM, InglewoodJack said:

A friendly reminder that the two clubs are owned by the same individual.

Olympiakos has had interest in Larin in the past. They know of him.

11 minutes ago, Metro said:

A friendly reminder that the two clubs are owned by the same individual.

Olympiakos has had interest in Larin in the past. They know of him.

Right- I was under the impression forest's owner had sold Olympiakos before purchasing them. The thing I find funny is the disparity between both teams. Joey Saputo owns both CF Montreal and Bologna, and it would be funny if the same player was being scouted by a Serie A team and a mid level MLS team.

The shared ownership with Olympiakos angle and having a Greek-Canadian Director of Football:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kyriakos_Dourekas

https://www.nottinghamforest.news/2022/03/24/nottingham-forest-appoint-kyriakos-dourekas-onto-board-of-directors/

is what makes me wonder whether Steve Cooper was calling the shots on Richie Laryea's move to Nottingham Forest.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot