Cyle Larin

shermanator

6 hours ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

A strong showing at the World Cup and interest will peak again. Same for David.

Exactly what I said before because if Cyle does have a great tournament and he replicates his qualifying form and scores goals for Canada in Qatar, then the more clubs will come his way. Every player more or less uses the World Cup as their launching pad towards getting deals at club level for themselves.

• 2 weeks later...

Probably best for everybody. Larin stays in a familiar environment ahead of the World Cup, and should he impress and get transfer offers, Besiktas can cash in and Larin can get the move up he wanted.

Is this an improvement on his last contract? I recall him being on 1.5, but I am not sure that's accurate.

https://www.novosti.rs/amp/sport/fudbal/1120831/crvena-zvezda-besiktas-milan-borjan-kanada-mls-orlando-fudbalski-transferi-najnovije-vesti-higlights

Looks like Red Star is targeting Larin.

They have a playoff with Copenhagen to directly get in to Champions League. 

Considering that he has no other offers and Besiktas is not playing in Europe this might not be a bad move. 

If the article is not translated you can do it the browser 

19 hours ago, Vasi said:

https://www.novosti.rs/amp/sport/fudbal/1120831/crvena-zvezda-besiktas-milan-borjan-kanada-mls-orlando-fudbalski-transferi-najnovije-vesti-higlights

Looks like Red Star is targeting Larin.

They have a playoff with Copenhagen to directly get in to Champions League. 

Considering that he has no other offers and Besiktas is not playing in Europe this might not be a bad move. 

If the article is not translated you can do it the browser 

Mmm seems like a lateral move at best, just because they'll be in Europe. He'll score a ton of goals there. I don't mind if it's a short term contract and Larin can then sign on a free elsewhere post world cup, or perhaps move on for a modest fee that's not too restrictive and gives Larin a lot of options. Would be a win for Larin and Red Star as they'd be signing him on a free and pocketing a tidy profit, after having an elite striker in their ranks for a season, or half a season.

Edited by Obinna

I think the key for him is to go to a team that will use him as a  striker not a winger. Playing as a winger has given him an opportunity to round out his game but it's not the ideal position for him. Last year he had a good partnership with Aboubakar where he would drift into the middle and play as a second striker. It seems that this year he's been more of a true wide player and he hasn't been nearly as productive.

In his appearances with Canada he has shown what he can do if he plays up top with support from the wings. I'd like to see him move somewhere where he can play a similar role and I doubt that will happen if he stays at Besiktas.

17 hours ago, Norrin Radd said:

I think the key for him is to go to a team that will use him as a  striker not a winger. Playing as a winger has given him an opportunity to round out his game but it's not the ideal position for him. Last year he had a good partnership with Aboubakar where he would drift into the middle and play as a second striker. It seems that this year he's been more of a true wide player and he hasn't been nearly as productive.

In his appearances with Canada he has shown what he can do if he plays up top with support from the wings. I'd like to see him move somewhere where he can play a similar role and I doubt that will happen if he stays at Besiktas.

I think his best position is as a FW in a front 3. One where he’ll frequently drift underneath the target man or make runs to the far post. That seemed to be where he had his best seasons at Besiktas. Make no mistake, he’s not a speedy play-making type from that position, but he roams into all sorts of spots and poaches a ton of goals.

Not a huge fan of him as an out-and-out #9. Holdup play is only so-so and he doesn’t always do the greatest job clearing out space for himself in the box.

Put him with a target man in the middle and he’s dynamite. The partnership with Aboubakar was key in Larin’s success.

Edited by ag futbol

Lateral at best in my opinion. Unless there is a conflict at Besiktas, or a significant bump in salary, I don't see why he wouldn't just stay at Besiktas if that's all that's on the table.

It's still early in the summer, so they'll be plenty more links and suitors, I am sure.

It is a bad move for a number of reasons, going on memory here. 

The team is an invention of the political wing of Erdogan's party from when he was mayor of Istanbul. They realised they had no control of the big three in Istanbul, most of whose fan bases are more liberal--and especially so with Besiktas, strongly associated with European political democratic views and liberal social mores. So they'd be politically associated with the conservative (not radical) Islamist positions that Erdogan espouses. It's the regime's team. Players go there often for what could be described as mercenary motives.

They have a rather tiny fan base in a big stadium and don't get good crowds, mostly for the reasons indicated. Basically, they have not caught on because they have no foundation, are based in a neighbourhood that is disassociated with a potential fanbase, and are ideologically tainted.

He also squanders his good reputation in Turkey as most fans will just hate him outright for going there. It is not a lateral move, it is backwards and odd they'd even consider it. 

Then there is this: are they going to pay him more money there than at Besiktas? Even the source of their funding is dubious as they don't generate revenue anywhere near their Istanbul rivals.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist