Cyle Larin

shermanator

I would just say that if Larin, our all time scorer, and a proven big time high level competition scorer cant make a breakthrough against WC winners....ummmmm do you really think Tani or JRR are going to step in green as grass and do better??  Maybe, I hope so and I am big fans of both, but thats a big ask....remember when Larin was a youngster he torched MLS even more than these guys eh??  I would like to see Tani and Bair get a sub shot, get them involved, maybe one of these guys can pull a rabbit out of his hat.    

3 hours ago, Bison44 said:

I would just say that if Larin, our all time scorer, and a proven big time high level competition scorer cant make a breakthrough against WC winners....ummmmm do you really think Tani or JRR are going to step in green as grass and do better??  Maybe, I hope so and I am big fans of both, but thats a big ask....remember when Larin was a youngster he torched MLS even more than these guys eh??  I would like to see Tani and Bair get a sub shot, get them involved, maybe one of these guys can pull a rabbit out of his hat.    

My argument would have been control the midfield, control the game, or at least more bodies in there cutting off service.

Not another striker.

But he did well.

18 hours ago, Bison44 said:

I think if we hadn't received that 2nd goal we might have seen Bair for the last 5 minutes, in search of the tie, but I don't know if Marsch had him warming up at the time. Anyone in the stadium see what was going down?

I agree that Tani is a lot greener, but if he gets minutes vs. Perú that'd be great. If we are up 2-0 late and Marsch can give Bair 10 minutes, and JRR, great. Then Tani.

21 hours ago, Bison44 said:

It isn't just about the lack of scoring, his stats are among the worst on CANMNT vs Argentina.  They were also bad vs Holland, he did better vs France.

Haven't seen the replay, but how did the Argentina defender make the play on the cross along the ground from AJ to Larin?  Cyle was between AJ and the defender on the pass. He had all the advantage of a big body & position on the defender.

48 minutes ago, costarg said:

It isn't just about the lack of scoring, his stats are among the worst on CANMNT vs Argentina.  They were also bad vs Holland, he did better vs France.

If you go by some stats, he and Millar were our worst players, significantly worse than Kone. And Bombito was up there with Crepeau.

Why stats are helpful sometimes but can be very deceiving at others.

I'm not his biggest fan at the moment but his holdup play was pretty important and he made some good runs which he maybe should've done better on with the final touch but getting into those positions is half the battle. Think he'll have a part to play against Peru and Chile.

20 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

Haven't seen the replay, but how did the Argentina defender make the play on the cross along the ground from AJ to Larin?  Cyle was between AJ and the defender on the pass. He had all the advantage of a big body & position on the defender.

Saw a replay from the angle from the direction of the cross and it looked like Larin never got a foot on it. Either did the defender. The ball kinda rolled into the pile of the 3 players (including the keeper). Maybe he just mistimed it?

1 hour ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

If you go by some stats, he and Millar were our worst players, significantly worse than Kone. And Bombito was up there with Crepeau.

Why stats are helpful sometimes but can be very deceiving at others.

Yup.  Kone's mistakes were just in more dangerous areas and moments with danger players lurking.

He is horribly underrated on this board. Almost every goal we have scored recently he has been involved. I realize that hasn't been alot, but did any actual fan think we were going to run up alot of goals against any of these teams? 

Last night l, he was arguably one of our better players. His hold up play and passing from up top were critical to the win.

Just now, Craig11rm said:

I blame Larin and David’s lack of production on our wingers. They need better service. So many balls being played in to the box that are over hit and they never see David’s late runs. Also our set piece deliveries have been awful from Eustaquio and Davies. Set pieces are so important in tournaments!

Exactly this! What chances have they been given?! 

5 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

His hold up play and passing from up top were critical to the win.

Most on this board know I haven't been a Larin fan, but I also think his hold up play has really improved in the last few years.

@Unnamed Trialist is this due to better coaching he has received in Spain?

I'm going to point towards the stimulant that is Shawarma. ;)

11 minutes ago, TGAA_Star said:

Yeah I know that but Larin is our main attacking threat and he hasn't even scored once. Crazy when you think about it.

We've played The Netherlands, France, Argentina, Peru and finally Chile.

It's not crazy that he hasn't scored in this series of 5 games when you think about it.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

3 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

We've played The Netherlands, France, Argentina, Peru and finally Chile.

It's not crazy that he hasn't scored in this series of 5 games when you think about it.

Yeah you're probably right but he has had his chances too but I just hope that changes in the quarters and he gets on that score sheet

1 hour ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Most on this board know I haven't been a Larin fan, but I also think his hold up play has really improved in the last few years.

@Unnamed Trialist is this due to better coaching he has received in Spain?

I'm going to point towards the stimulant that is Shawarma. ;)

Paella is great for holdup they say.

He hasn't been on the wing  at all in Spain and playing for weak teams he's done this a lot, last season and this. It's not strict holdup with his back into the defender. It's more circling back to find a mid.

He and Muriqi are both good at it, at Mallorca they're missing the attacking mids and playmakers to come in to receive.

18 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

It's not strict holdup with his back into the defender. It's more circling back to find a mid.

Thanks. That's probably a more accurate description of what I was trying to get at than simply "holdup". I find he links up more accurately and faster with other players on the #CanMNT than he used to.

His game seems more well rounded.

2 hours ago, Stryker911 said:

He is horribly underrated on this board. Almost every goal we have scored recently he has been involved. I realize that hasn't been alot, but did any actual fan think we were going to run up alot of goals against any of these teams? 

Last night l, he was arguably one of our better players. His hold up play and passing from up top were critical to the win.

Yeah he is making plays but he needs to be more selfish or at least more clinical as a striker

3 hours ago, Stryker911 said:

I'll start by saying I'm a huge Larin fan.  Yet, I struggle to understand who underrates CANMNT highest all-time scorer.  I'm confident we've all seen his goals and contributions.  Larin is a massive part of our success and turnaround.  

That being said, I don't feel he and David ever formed a good duo up top.  Also, I don't feel Canada is best served with two strikers.  David is playing a little more withdrawn, but he's still a striker.

Given Osorio's recent reemergence, I'm really, really curious to see what a midfield of Stache, Kone and Osorio could do.  It would free up Osorio as well as Kone to focus a little more on offence.  I feel that would get us more goals and touches up top than having that second striker up there just waiting for balls that don't come.

I understand the hold up play, the hockey assist on our most important goal, the little details, et al.  Yet, if we're being honest, he could be doing a lot better even without scoring.

73% passing

20 touches

0/1 successful dribbles

0/1 tackles

1 recovery

1/5 duels won

0/3 aerial duels