Cyle Larin

shermanator

On 9/10/2022 at 5:16 PM, Unnamed Trialist said:

Reason I am not a Bruges fan either.

A mostly fake city, a little movie set, probably the most pretentious in Belgium. Nothing near Ghent which is authentically nice and as I see it, more beautiful. Should not be the strongest team in the country because the place does not justify them being so. Nice shirt and colours, will admit that. But the worst face of the Flemish, imo.

Anderlecht, now that is a team. Or Standard Liège.

So, not as good as Marseille then?

50 minutes ago, Macksam said:

So, not as good as Marseille then?

I used to like Marseille a lot, have been there numerous times, and liked their anti-Paris stance. It was funny and edgy.

True, the whole corruption scandal with Bernard Tapie turned me off. 30 years ago, true, but still, it soured me. 

I've also been to Saint Étienne and would love to see a match there, for me one of the French teams I am most nostalgic/sentimental about.

I admit my sentiments about teams do change over time. AC Milan in the glory years under Sacchi was amazing, but then you had  Berlusconi as owner--and who wants to that guy to get kudos through football? I used to really like Porto and hated Benfica, now I am not so much that way because Porto has also had dubious ownership, and I heard directly about their shenanigans from players I was in touch with. So much of it gets tempered. 

My deepest club sentiment is for Whitecaps and Barça, and against Real Madrid. The rest is less rooted.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

On 9/11/2022 at 6:21 AM, Unnamed Trialist said:

And they both have that chip on their shoulder and make little effort to be likeable. 

To be likeable is the old Canadian way....the way guys were taught to have no personality, and no edge to them. 

Now we see it in Laryea, Larin, Buchanan, Davies, Kaye, and Osorio. And I like it. 

We we had a pushover mentality before, and that has all changed. 

16 minutes ago, Shway said:

To be likeable is the old Canadian way....the way guys were taught to have no personality, and no edge to them. 

Now we see it in Laryea, Larin, Buchanan, Davies, Kaye, and Osorio. And I like it. 

We we had a pushover mentality before, and that has all changed. 

Even Johnston, who has a rather goofy non-threatening face, can be tough and mean.

The only players we have that are nice through and through are David, Hoillet, maybe Millar, Adekugbe I think...and I am not even sure about them.

Hutch is a good guy and has relatively little malice.

2 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Even Johnston, who has a rather goofy non-threatening face, can be tough and mean.

The only players we have that are nice through and through are David, Hoillet, maybe Millar, Adekugbe I think...and I am not even sure about them.

Piette too....guys a bulldog, but a nice one. 
It's like he'll bite you, but he didn't mean too. 

11 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Adekugbe was one of the first ones in to support Henry when he started the shenanigans against Panama and he seemed to be right in the middle of things during the dust up in the most recent Honduras game. He's got some bite.

On 9/10/2022 at 5:16 PM, Unnamed Trialist said:

Reason I am not a Bruges fan either.

A mostly fake city, a little movie set, probably the most pretentious in Belgium. Nothing near Ghent which is authentically nice and as I see it, more beautiful. Should not be the strongest team in the country because the place does not justify them being so. Nice shirt and colours, will admit that. But the worst face of the Flemish, imo.

Anderlecht, now that is a team. Or Standard Liège.

Bruges isn’t fake (unless it’s changed since I was last there). On the contrary, being left behind by history gives an authenticity like few others in that region. What it is, is dead. All that age and totally without ghosts… an unpleasant phenomenon. 

Hard to imagine they even have a football side. 

28 minutes ago, ECW said:

Bruges isn’t fake (unless it’s changed since I was last there). On the contrary, being left behind by history gives an authenticity like few others in that region. What it is, is dead. All that age and totally without ghosts… an unpleasant phenomenon. 

Hard to imagine they even have a football side. 

Bruges is a mostly 19th century, and early 20th C, reconstruction of the image of a medieval city, not an authentically medieval city. It follows the heritage principles of remaking something the way it might be imagined in literary lore, or for ideological reasons related to nationhood, rather than restoring what is there in a way that clearly distinguished old from new. In this way it does what many Viollet le Duc restorations in France did, like at Carcassone. Then it has Gothic revival, like we see in 19th C Britain.

It fakes old through and through, that is a fact of its urban design as it now stands.

Some of the street structure is authentic, few at all of its buildings. 

Totally unlike Ghent, far more authentic, and larger, and a real working city, and a city that is not just like a movie set but is lived and breathed in. Ghent is not medieval in structure, it is later, but it suprasses Bruges in both beauty and authenticity, and the vast majority of Flemish from neither location will affirm the same.

If you go to Belgium, Ghent by far. Not to mention the Van Eyck altarpiece which is one of the greatest artworks in Europe, for me top 10.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

6 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Bruges is a mostly 19th century, and early 20th C, reconstruction of the image of a medieval city, not an authentically medieval city. It follows the heritage principles of remaking something the way it might be imagined in literary lore, or for ideological reasons related to nationhood, rather than restoring what is there in a way that clearly distinguished old from new. In this way it does what many Viollet le Duc restorations in France did, like at Carcassone. Then it has Gothic revival, like we see in 19th C Britain.

It fakes old through and through, that is a fact of its urban design as it now stands.

Totally unlike Ghent, far more authentic, and larger, and a real working city, and a city that is not just like a movie set but is lived and breathed in. Ghent is not medieval in structure, it is later, but it suprasses Bruges in both beauty and authenticity, and the vast majority of Flemish from neither location will affirm the same.

If you go to Belgium, Ghent by far. Not to mention the Van Eyck altarpiece which is one of the greatest artworks in Europe, for me top 10.

Wow, I thought the exact thing when I went to Bruges and Ghent.  I liked Bruges but I loved Ghent -  a real working city where people live and enjoy life.

1 hour ago, SoCalTransport said:

Thanks for the history lesson, the only thing I remember from visiting Belgium when I was younger (teenager) is the Manneken Pis 😜

One of my best friends in Vancouver happens to be from a Flemish family from Westmalle, where the famous abbey is. Which explains why, even though I don't drink as a rule, one of my few exceptions is Tripel.

I don't know why I thought of beer when you mentioned "pis".

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/13/2022 at 1:49 PM, Unnamed Trialist said:

Well, that explains it somewhat! The lifelessness always stood out as a weird oddity to me. I was there for a day to see the concert of a Czech violinist at the City Theatre and meet with her afterwards… I don’t think I even stayed the night. I must have read one of the guidebooks of the time that extolled the city’s authenticity.

But I’m not sure it explains everything. I don’t always have that feeling with Viollet le Duc, whose work was often genuine even if fake. And many 19th century romances on medival architecture, writing and painting often are full of interest and complexity, one way or another. 

3 hours ago, sose said:

I don't think he's ready to come back to MLS yet, he's on a champions league team - he just has to win his starting spot.

I never begrudge any player taking the money. Their careers are short. But I also don't understand the rush to bring them back to MLS/CPL. He's at a big club in a good league in a good city. Being pushed a bit isn't the worst thing for him either. Look at Michael Bradley - he left Roma to take the money at TFC, and he did win, but I don't think it made him a better player and I don't think it's a coincidence the US team declined when some of their better players started returning to MLS. MLS isn't bad, but it's still a development league (albeit a higher one than CPL).

12 hours ago, Watchmen said:

I never begrudge any player taking the money. Their careers are short. But I also don't understand the rush to bring them back to MLS/CPL. He's at a big club in a good league in a good city. Being pushed a bit isn't the worst thing for him either. Look at Michael Bradley - he left Roma to take the money at TFC, and he did win, but I don't think it made him a better player and I don't think it's a coincidence the US team declined when some of their better players started returning to MLS. MLS isn't bad, but it's still a development league (albeit a higher one than CPL).

I think the quality in MLS is way better now then it was when Bradley signed like 8 years ago now. I also don’t think the Belgian league is leaps above MLS either. It’s a good feeder league for top tier leagues in Europe. I think if LAFC or TFC played Club Brugge it would be a competitive game.

I think with Larin it’s a perfect fit, he gets to come home, he will get paid, and he will play upfront with some world class players.

On 9/24/2022 at 9:28 PM, SoCalTransport said:

I might be the only one banging this drum, but Larin as Toronto’s third DP has to happen. 🤩

This would actually be a good fit. Akinola and Jiminez struggled because Bernardeschi and Insigne rarely played the ball inside to them which they like. Larin likes to poach goals from rebounds and can catch a random cross that may not be expected to score usually.