Players you expect to see in the CPL

lazlo_80

Marcel looked to still have plenty left in the tank with Vancouver last season, and the team could certainly use his experience with all the young kids we've signed. I'd be thrilled to have him in Victoria.

De Jong, Haber, Simpson, Friend, Silberbauer... Those are some high quality footballers getting involved with this club. It's great to see.

20 minutes ago, matty said:

Doesn't de Jong to Pacific ruin the whole BC only image of the team so many love? ;) But seriously he would be a great signing and would give them the vet they really need...but he is a York Region boy....

The club has never stated that they're going for an all BC squad. In fact they've denied it numerous times.

Just now, C2SKI said:

The club has never stated that they're going for an all BC squad. In fact they've denied it numerous times.

I'm talking about the fan hype and desire for that, there were a good number of people who wanted that despite it not being practical.

If MDJ does sign I imagine he'll be the best player (at his position) in the league, although maybe not the most valuable given he plays outside fullback, with Bekker and Haber as close contenders. Nevertheless, would love to be proven wrong by some of these youngsters!

MDJ would really be a coup for the league.  Imagine, De Jong and Chung.... Pacific would arguably have the two best left backs in the league.  I noticed that Rohan Ricketts was playing in LO1 last season, granted he's 36 now and his best days are way way past him.  But considering the level of most signings, could he be worth a punt for a season as a bit-part player somewhere?

5 hours ago, StillOnFire said:

MDJ would really be a coup for the league.  Imagine, De Jong and Chung.... Pacific would arguably have the two best left backs in the league.  I noticed that Rohan Ricketts was playing in LO1 last season, granted he's 36 now and his best days are way way past him.  But considering the level of most signings, could he be worth a punt for a season as a bit-part player somewhere?

Great signings but Rohan Ricketts would be a complete turn in the opposite direction.  

With Jose Hernandez and De Jong I think PFC just took the lead from Forge with the best roster to date.  Really exciting to see young guys take the chance.. look, it’s a pretty easy decision.  Play for a u23 friendly squad or go pro with a team that actively states they wish to move you on to higher levels.  

I'm not as up to date on the CPL as I should be, so perhaps someone here can help me out with a question on DeJong.  I did a quick search of MLS salaries and it looks like he was in the 150,000 range in MLS.  What would he be looking at at the CPL level?  I'm assuming it would be less.  Would it be enough for someone to live on in the Victoria area?  He could love the area but he still needs to earn a living.

19 minutes ago, AvroArrow said:

I'm not as up to date on the CPL as I should be, so perhaps someone here can help me out with a question on DeJong.  I did a quick search of MLS salaries and it looks like he was in the 150,000 range in MLS.  What would he be looking at at the CPL level?  I'm assuming it would be less.  Would it be enough for someone to live on in the Victoria area?  He could love the area but he still needs to earn a living.

No way he'll be getting 150k at PFC, but he still gets part of his MLS salary this year and (I'm just assuming here) he can enter the organization after his playing career. So if he can get half of his current salary plus a job-guarantee, that's a pretty good deal IMO.

22 minutes ago, shamrock said:

No way he'll be getting 150k at PFC, but he still gets part of his MLS salary this year and (I'm just assuming here) he can enter the organization after his playing career. So if he can get half of his current salary plus a job-guarantee, that's a pretty good deal IMO.

He could also immediately move into a role where he is both player and helping coach on the defensive side.