Samuel Piette

39 minutes ago, Sal333 said:

I have no worries with a midfield of Eustaquio, Piette and Kone with the kid playing as a #10. Piette was the MOTM for me tonight.

Gotta be honest, Kone put a lot of my "big game jitters" fears to rest tonight.  He was very very good in a huge game.  And I'd have to say that the 3 you mention are probably the odds-on starting midfielders right now.  Is it ideal?  Maybe not, but then, based on what we've seen recently, we might be just fine too.

3 hours ago, costarg said:

Considering the emergence of Kone, and his role/style as well as Eustaquio's, Piette is actually the perfect fit for that mid-3.  Not to mention we need the destroyer type role when playing vs Croatia and Belgium.  

Yeah even before this game Piette starting against Belgium and Croatia was a no brainer imo

I think last night's match at Saputo made many of us more comfortable about our midfield situation in Qatar, Kone was excellent and has been for some time and I have always had Piette as my first choice destroyer! Piette has never been flashy, players of that role rarely are but he has usually been very effective and he seems to have taken it to the next level, I think he probably starts the 1st 2 matches regardless of who is avalable!

1 hour ago, jhoops__ said:

If Hutch is available I have my doubts Piette will start.   

I don't have my doubts at all, espeically with how Piette has been playing for club and country. 

Hutchinson is the GOAT, but I don't think it's far-fetched to see Hutchinson coming off the bench to start the tournament against Belgium. The Croatia match and especially the Morocco match probably determine our fate, no? As such, we may want to keep Hutchinson relatively fresh for match 2 and 3.

I could see it being sub-sub-start over the 3 matches for Atiba.  

37 minutes ago, jhoops__ said:

I thought Piette got bossed on the pitch v Uruguay so I’m sceptical he has the ability to start v Belgium…

I didn’t think he was that bad against Uruguay but that being said, most here are calling for a three man midfield rather than a two which would get the better out of him. I think ultimately you could play with a two man midfield of Eustaquio with a fully fit Hutch or maybe in another year Kone once he matures a bit but agree that Piette isn’t really the answer in that formation. 

47 minutes ago, jhoops__ said:

I thought Piette got bossed on the pitch v Uruguay so I’m sceptical he has the ability to start v Belgium…

That Uruguay midfield did have Valverde in it. Piette did had a tough game covering so much space but I felt like he held his own. I don’t really think the goals against us were his fault either. 

3 hours ago, An Observer said:

I didn’t think he was that bad against Uruguay but that being said, most here are calling for a three man midfield rather than a two which would get the better out of him. I think ultimately you could play with a two man midfield of Eustaquio with a fully fit Hutch or maybe in another year Kone once he matures a bit but agree that Piette isn’t really the answer in that formation. 

No he wasn’t awful, but he was too slow and his decision making wasn’t fast enough either. He’s had a good year, I’m not going to argue that, but he’s not going up against the Orlando’s of the world in a few weeks. If he starts, he’s playing a minimum of 45 minutes in a game of such magnitude. Late minutes to shore things up? Sure I can see that. Look how fast Herdman pulled him against Uruguay. If we’re healthy, “fit” or not with guys like Hutchinson and Osorio, he shouldn’t get a sniff at the starting 11. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Shway said:

Might be his last contract, as this one takes him to the age of 32. 

Does anyone think he’ll be around for the WC26?

Given the turnover  btw the 2018 and 2022 squads, mostly driven by the emergence of young/younger players, the odds are low for any current  "non star players" to be there in 2026. The exception would be our  CBs ex Vitoria. 

I think he will be- our team is gonna be extremely young in 26, with veteran leaders such as Eustaquio (29), Davies (25), David (26). I think he serves as a quasi Hutchinson role in 2026. I can imagine a scenario in which he doesn’t make it, but guys like Piette and Osirio will be some of the last players who would’ve been with Canada since the dog days, so I think they’re worth a shot.

Good on him for locking in his deal. I hope a bigger house somewhere in Outremont is in the cards for him.