Samuel Piette

25 minutes ago, costarg said:

Lots of great points here.  Bottom line, I feel, comes down to Herdman being a McKinsey type and likes his Myers-Briggs assessments and tests.  If you didn't fit in, you had no way back in.  We knew who was in and who was out.  No one got a second chance, Piette was in that group.  Piette was no slower than Hutch at the WC and we needed a DM out there to help out in the midfield, yet it was never gonna happen. 

With Marsch, Piette just doesn't fit the system, he doesn't use a DM and Piette is too slow for how he likes the team to play.  I understand Marsch's reasoning, Herdman, not so much.

Herdman's reasoning at the World Cup was: get the captain on the field.  

I understand it, I didn't and don't neccesarily agree but I understand it.  There is stuff beyond talent and stats. 

Marsch was playing to our strengths (strikers especially) in the tournament and he was impressed with Osorio's leadership in a tight window of development, I think. Not sure we will neccesarily see that formation going forward.  Once Marsch had his transfer window at Leeds he would play a lot with 2 DMs - Adams and Roca.  Roca is not faster than Piette but is more skilled and bit bigger. We know Adams.  

Interesting question to me is where do you play our two lock central midfielder if you go with 3. Assuming we don't go with Osorio in the future. 

I think Piette could still have a place with us. We still don’t have a true DM other than him and I don’t think his play has declined at all. Add in the fact that he seems okay with riding the pine and bringing a veteran presence, seems like he still has a role to play with us.

No point in replacing a guy like that unless there is someone better

I dont think he is replaced, just there are so few times he is the best guy for the situation.  Same with Oso.  Now its Kone/Eustaq penciled in every game.  Oso, mb Choiniere, Ahmed depending on the needs of team, But but its been awhile since Kaye/Fraser etc have gotten in there, players that just dont meet the standards we need to justify a run out.   Both those guys seem to be having good MLS seasons (like Piette) but just isnt good enough anymore.  

Watched the game TFC-MTL game yesterday was the first time I watched Piette play in a while and thought he was pretty good but he also got a yellow. Then I had a bit of a flashback and was trying to remember if Piette was a bit of a card liability with his role and style of play? 

54 minutes ago, mpg_29 said:

Watched the game TFC-MTL game yesterday was the first time I watched Piette play in a while and thought he was pretty good but he also got a yellow. Then I had a bit of a flashback and was trying to remember if Piette was a bit of a card liability with his role and style of play? 

He's a gritty guy real box to box and he's physical but I love that

''I'll never turn my back on the national team. For me, the national team is a reward when you perform with your club. As long as I play football and I'm an active player, I'll be available for the national team. My selection, or non-selection, in the team will always be in the hands of the coach and it'll be up to him to judge whether I've my place or not.''

• 1 month later...
8 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

If you want to honour Sam you give him minutes at the world Cup and at Copa. Especially Qatar, it would have been easy.

Or at the Olympics as a Canadian athlete 😛