Liam Millar

Northvansteve

20 minutes ago, The Real Marc said:

This may be a masterstroke but it's just as much a meh move. Hull isn't a Leeds or Boro, it's another historically 2/3 tier club that's had a couple of sniffs at the Prem (as well as tier 4), purchased by an eccentric foreign owner that probably can't afford a team higher up the food chain. Firing Rosenior, however a flash in the pan he may be, and replacing him with the guy that couldn't get Hamburg promoted is not a great look.

I generally avoid threads where known family and friends are lurking, it's always a bit awk commenting from afar ... but three years on from leaving Liverpool he's exactly where we'd have expected him to have landed upon leaving Liverpool in the first place.

Hull haven't been in the Prem since 16-17 and that included a 1 year trip to the 3rd tier.

They did finish 7th last year, 1 spot below the playoffs.

Maybe with another good year in the Championship he gets offers from EPL teams with better promises of playing time

23 minutes ago, The Real Marc said:

This may be a masterstroke but it's just as much a meh move. Hull isn't a Leeds or Boro, it's another historically 2/3 tier club that's had a couple of sniffs at the Prem (as well as tier 4), purchased by an eccentric foreign owner that probably can't afford a team higher up the food chain. Firing Rosenior, however a flash in the pan he may be, and replacing him with the guy that couldn't get Hamburg promoted is not a great look.

I generally avoid threads where known family and friends are lurking, it's always a bit awk commenting from afar ... but three years on from leaving Liverpool he's exactly where we'd have expected him to have landed upon leaving Liverpool in the first place.

They probably won’t promote, but 10G/7A on a team that finishes 4th, scores a playoff goal against a team that does promote, Hull tries shedding salary next summer, he’s sold for like €5M to Bournemouth or whatever- believable? Obviously wishcasting a bit, but I think there’s a path to him getting a bigger move next year if all goes well. If what’s being said in this thread is true, those opportunities did exist this offseason, so what’s a better season mean for his future next summer? It’s not the most exciting move possible, but I’m just personally happy he’s out of Switzerland. 

38 minutes ago, The Real Marc said:

To me less meh - more good safe elements and some big risk reward elements. 

He's in the North, generally around family (being acrossed the width of the country is a very differently thing there as opposed to here.) 

There are decent Championship level resources there. (Whether beyond that is a question, you rightly ask.)  Decent fanbase. A lot of top flight teams elsewhere would appreciate 22,000 average attendance. Over half of La Liga don't average that, better than all but one in the Swiss League. Overall it is better than some teams in every top 5 league (though just barely in the Bundesliga, to be fair.)

Given what is left there he will get a chance for minutes unless something drastic changes.

That said, 

Different players, different manager a huge amount is up in the air. 

Overall, has a chance to be stable and impress with a team that is actually rebuilding with a decent base but no real on field presence. 

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

1 minute ago, Bison44 said:

Congrats and hopefully it all works out.  Just on a personal note Spitfire, my 9 year old says Liam should "ditch the hair", says it looks too "80's".   HEHE, everyone is a critic...I wont tell you what he thinks of Bernadeschi's corn rows.   

I love his hair. Its always easy to pick him out when watching the game.

8 hours ago, spitfire said:

i think you go where you feel you will play.. and back yourself and your talent.. and see where that gets you..

I recognize there are lots of factors, you also have to feel good about the gaffer, if they are paying a fee that says a lot about how much they want you, salary. Three years is a good deal, but after that one, for Liam, he has basically one major contract left. But fine, all well.

I'm not a big fan of Championship, as others here know, but I am not thrilled by Spanish 2nd division that much either. For me they are totally comparable and there is no significant difference, apart from salary. Corbeanu is playing on a comparable team to Hull, with a deep squad full of former Liga players, and probably has a clearer path to top flight in fact.

So I'd take going to a lower level Liga or EPL team any day if that is the goal. The same way you are speculating on having a good season and transferring up, or promoting and having a storybook path to EPL, you could be getting on a modest team in the top flight and they have a good season with you there. So you've leveraged it just the same. Is it riskier to go to a higher level and maybe have to fight for minutes? Could be, but it is also risky to have an unexpectedly bad year in a 2nd tier, or those around you, and being brought down with the rest. 

All this recognizing that the season is starting, better to get going already, not play out the entire transfer window in limbo, take any solid offer out there and more so if it's on the table, and all's well.

56 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

Didn't he just arrive yesterday? Good on him for arriving in game shape.

Hull City unsurprisingly looking disjointed but Millar again most likely to make things happen since he came on.

One shot blocked after a mazy run and one really nice cross in.

Edit:

Ends 1-1. 

Had a part in a late equaliser. Headed down a cross, dangerously in the box and his teamate going for that ball was utterly cleaned out.  They converted the resulting penalty. 

Commentators in the postgame echoing what I saw, him and another sub made it a game in the end. 

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

18 minutes ago, Shway said:

He's starting in their league cup match against Hull City. Playing direct, but giving it away multiple times.

Games overall sloppy to start.

2-1 from the 11th minute.

Intersquad match?

After a sloppy start(disposed in the first 15secs leading to the first goal) SW definitely did their homework about the high press. But grew into the match and played much much better Liam clearly not match fit or sharp after 3 1/2 weeks off. But that will come.
The championship is much faster then you think especially live.. 

all to play for 2nd half.