Liam Millar

Northvansteve

“There is a vibrancy to Millar which has you hooked on every moment in which he has involved. It is, of course, early days - but on first glance the Canadian can add an infectious sense of fun to Preston’s team; someone at home with the ball at feet, driving at defenders and twinkling his toes. And when the ball broke his way down the left flank, midway through the first half, there was only one thing in his mind. Millar flew at the green shirts ahead of him and his final two touches were utterly devastating: the first to open up the shot and the second to bury the ball into the bottom right corner with glorious precision.”

https://www.lep.co.uk/sport/football/preston-north-end/preston-plymouth-argyle-highlights-goals-4338665

8 minutes ago, DeRo_Is_King said:

Happy for Liam. I know it's early days, but what a story it would be if he could play a key role in a PNE promotion to the EPL and stay with the club. 

They play Birmingham next Tuesday. Birmingham are at 6th and final spot for promotion play-off. Already a 6 points game.

After that it's next Saturday at Rotherham (21). Big week imo.

Edited by MauditYvon

7 minutes ago, DeRo_Is_King said:

Happy for Liam. I know it's early days, but what a story it would be if he could play a key role in a PNE promotion to the EPL and stay with the club. 

Edit: His post-match interview below.

https://x.com/pnefc/status/1703103656860483593?s=20

Yeah I don’t want to get ahead of things but that would be the dream scenario.  Liverpool academy kid goes away to get some first team experience and ultimately helps a championship club get back to the top flight where he plays a lasting role - that would be the best possible outcome.  

Obviously a whole slew of things would have to fall into place for that to be possible but it is nice to dream.   Liam has tended to straddle the grey area between our first team and that next tier of players (most of whom he is still well ahead of IMO) but it would be awesome if he could force his way into the team with a really strong season.  

Full highlights, he was close to another goal and another assist too.

Good thing about Championship is you can take defenders on and not worry about it. So if he can stay on the front foot it'll be a fun run. The other player they picked up looked okay too, good to see a team with a good league start still looking for more talent.

I know it's not nice but if Liam is thriving at PNE maybe it's because it's easier there than in Switzerland. He was playing European competitions, got to a Conference League semi final and they almost took out La Fiore. Serie A team. Noone seriously thinks Preston would have survived more than a round in Europe do they?

The other interpretation, and this would make me wrong, is that he tends to start well at new clubs, as he did at Basel too, but later loses steam.

3 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I know it's not nice but if Liam is thriving at PNE maybe it's because it's easier there than in Switzerland. He was playing European competitions, got to a Conference League semi final and they almost took out La Fiore. Serie A team. Noone seriously thinks Preston would have survived more than a round in Europe do they?

The other interpretation, and this would make me wrong, is that he tends to start well at new clubs, as he did at Basel too, but later loses steam.

Maybe it's the style of league. The interview post-match over the weekend he said it was a fast paced game (against plymouth) but that it suits his game more than in Switzerland (I am paraphrasing btw).

So I would say that Championship is a bit higher than Swiss top flight, but the style of play better suits Liam. At least that seems to be my understanding of what he said.