Liam Millar

Northvansteve

52 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

There's a story out here on Vancouver Island of a first nations kid who is going to play for "Real Madrid" and they are doing the proverbial GoFundMe to get the 60 grand.

https://www.timescolonist.com/sports/tsartlip-teen-offered-spot-in-real-madrid-training-program-7306739

Basically, it is a scam, because they get the money for this great experience (fine) by saying he is joining RM (lie). If you just say it is a nice experience and let's help the kid have this thing, then great. But if he were good enough for RM academy proper, they'd pay everything, of course. 

Then there was that Mexican-Canadian kid from North Van who did the same thing to Barça about 10 years ago, Gianni Patino. Then he "declared" for Mexico.  My comments from 13 years ago on the case are in this thread, where I observe that he was basically at the exact level as my son (who would have been a solid 6th or even on a prayer 5th tier player if he hadn't chosen to get a degree): 

This is basically how I feel on a micro level about the short pay-to-play camps. There's nothing wrong with them to learn some skills, but in no way does participation indicate an international elite level of talent. 

1 minute ago, DeRo_Is_King said:

This is basically how I feel on a micro level about the short pay-to-play camps. There's nothing wrong with them to learn some skills, but in no way does participation indicate an international elite level of talent. 

Interestingly Amy Walsh on TSN, analysing the "failure" of the US, repeated their arguments that 4 months of NCAA too weak a foundation for development, as is pay to play, which limits those who have access to soccer to those who can pay. 

Oddly, she did not finish the argument: it's exactly the same problem in Canada. 

We also have weather as a condition. The other day in the leadup to the tennis in TO and MTL, there was a report on the need to increase indoor tennis options across Canada, talking about creating hundreds of them. Well we need the same for soccer: in fact, maybe under one roof you could have 7 a side and tennis. Regardless: overcome weather, more months being able to compete, real not fake competition by not letting these for-profit academies to prey on kids and their parents, access to enable the working class to get the same quality coaching. Even if the darlings get shown up by them.

By the way, anyone notice how that Raegan Subban on TSN just repeats "absolutely" to whatever argument a guest like Amy Walsh makes? Guest 1 "Its not important at all". "Absolutely". Guest 2: "But no, it is critical at this time". "Absolutely". 

If you are not with one of these club’s academy in their own country then you are not any closer to say Real Madrid’s academy then some kid playing youth soccer with any Canadian youth club in Canada . Like a lot of people have already posted this is basically a money grab plain and simple . A club basically pays Real Madrid money to use their name .  Hopefully most parents see this and realize you are no closer to say Real Madrid by having your kid play with these teams .

7 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

They're just licensed pay to play clubs bought by semi-pros or mid-level kids cosches for business purposes, that's why. Neither have the least to do with either clubs' academy programs.

And they just con wealthier but gullible parents out of a lot of cash with false promises over the course of the player's time in that academy, then the kid gets a year in some lower division Dutch or German club's u20 side, comes back and is told sayonara as they look for new marks to fleece.  Just a really bad but predictable lottery outcome.

This country's youth development in sports is still premised on getting the best athletes mummy and daddy can pay for.

21 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

And they just con wealthier but gullible parents out of a lot of cash with false promises over the course of the player's time in that academy, then the kid gets a year in some lower division Dutch or German club's u20 side, comes back and is told sayonara as they look for new marks to fleece.  Just a really bad but predictable lottery outcome.

This country's youth development in sports is still premised on getting the best athletes mummy and daddy can pay for.

This is a vicious circle. In the end, you have to move forward and begin to impose models that don't allow false advertising and ensure access to sport for a broader sector of society. As is, the more expensive academies do not want to play iother clubs who have recruited for talent and even subsidized some sharper kids to ensure they can play wihtout it being a burden on their parents. 

Even the former pros, however modest, want to monetise their little academies, trying to extract income from projects that promise a lot but refuse to expose themselves to the true test: if you are really better, you'll stand against your strongest rivals.

Then they go off to some tournament for Easter and have fun, no doubt.

The SA's in each province should impose models that don't allow this scamming, but that would be irritating their voting block. Most SA boards are elected by this block of votes, the monetising academies. Then your former semi-pros and pros use their voices to defend their retirement models, not the integrity of the game. I prefer those guys who invest in their cousin's cleaning business, have their income, and then can speak openly, as former pros, about how broken the system is.

5 hours ago, nolando said:

Yup. Same nonsense here in Vancouver. Real Madrid branded camps as well. The PSG one has giant inflatable gates to walk through like pros would come out for in a Champions League final and the kids are all taught to chant "Ici c'est Paris."

Barcelona “Academy” went bankrupt in Ottawa, people lost money. Cash grab, but parents think if it says Barcelona or PSG it must be good…

45 minutes ago, h coach said:

Barcelona “Academy” went bankrupt in Ottawa, people lost money. Cash grab, but parents think if it says Barcelona or PSG it must be good…

Usually there is vetting of the coaches. It's not fly by night, they are certified. But they deliberately do this stuff like "we're special so we don't play in that league, we do inter squad games". Then: we're going to Carolina for this or that tournament, it'll be a blast." I'm a FCB club member and I don't agree with it, but they say it's about expanding the brand and they argue they aren't making false claims.

Look, the academy of the dad of that kid at Vancouver FC, TJ Tahid, made a deal with Villarreal. It's just licencing, basically like paying money to do a PSG cologne or Real Madrid Xmas stocking stuffers.

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Usually there is vetting of the coaches. It's not fly by night, they are certified. But they deliberately do this stuff like "we're special so we don't play in that league, we do inter squad games". Then: we're going to Carolina for this or that tournament, it'll be a blast." I'm a FCB club member and I don't agree with it, but they say it's about expanding the brand and they argue they aren't making false claims.

Look, the academy of the dad of that kid at Vancouver FC, TJ Tahid, made a deal with Villarreal. It's just licencing, basically like paying money to do a PSG cologne or Real Madrid Xmas stocking stuffers.

There's a club here in Melbourne that rebranded 2-3 years ago as an affiliate club with Villareal. They were a Greek club, originally, but added Villareal to the club name, changed their colours, and remodeled their badge after the Spanish club. They play at a relatively low level, though. They've still had some Spanish coaches visit and have had a couple of kids go to Spain to train, allegedly. My club played them in a pre-season friendly last summer. They're not that good.

Have to rant somewhere it might as well be here… Basel are literally the opposite of grasshoppers. Set up completely wrong sitting off defending deep with an high line. Yes an I said an high line(ala Liverpool) with no pressure on the ball so it just gets popped over the top. against weaker opponents trying to counter with no midfield pivot. Why not try a high press?!? Two strikers who can’t hold up the ball and no runs in behind. Everything Liam creates is self made 1v 3 dribbles with no support… Basel is in for a very long season if something doesn’t change  even throw Liam up front at least we know he will chase and hurry…

beyond frustrated with this game… 

12 hours ago, spitfire said:

Have to rant somewhere it might as well be here… Basel are literally the opposite of grasshoppers. Set up completely wrong sitting off defending deep with an high line. Yes an I said an high line(ala Liverpool) with no pressure on the ball so it just gets popped over the top. against weaker opponents trying to counter with no midfield pivot. Why not try a high press?!? Two strikers who can’t hold up the ball and no runs in behind. Everything Liam creates is self made 1v 3 dribbles with no support… Basel is in for a very long season if something doesn’t change  even throw Liam up front at least we know he will chase and hurry…

beyond frustrated with this game… 

How quick will they pull the trigger on firing the manager?  Basel is a traditional Swiss powerhouse... even though they haven't won the league in a while, I doubt they'll stand for this for too long.

4 hours ago, Stryker911 said:

Basel has had some pretty impressive sales this window. To Burnley, Bologna, Lens. Too bad Millar hadn't been able to duplicate his season prior. Looking back it is suprising he didn't move the season before.

There was once a rumour that he had premier league interest. 

I don't know how this rant was directed to me. All I said was "there was once a rumour of premier league interest" in the sequence of the post that were making mentions of using his "Liverpool links", and that it's "surprising he didn't move the season before." 

I don't have to list or reference the players who I know personally who have gone through these "experiences" in the Championship or other leagues. Some prevailed, some folded - such is the life of a footballer.

At the end of the day it's a dream profession that not a lot of Canadians get the opportunity too experience . 

I get it's all personal for you. But not everything stated needs to be taken personal, or require a personal rant, perspective or response. Especially when it's not critical, but conversation from topics you have contributed too.

Everyone is team Millar, and has hope he has a career season this season - and every season after that. 

...I do wonder how people would respond if you were Bryms dad.

35 minutes ago, Shway said:

I don't know how this rant was directed to me. All I said was "there was once a rumour of premier league interest" in the sequence of the post that were making mentions of using his "Liverpool links", and that it's "surprising he didn't move the season before." 

I don't really think it was directed at you so much as at all of us who have freely speculated about moves with all these kids and saying "Why is nothing happening?" and "Shouldn't they/their agent be doing something?", etc.  I think the bottomline is that while we just type the questions out on our keyboards, those kids and their families are actually living the stress, waiting and wondering on phone calls that never come, seeing tweets and social posts fly back and forth (most of which are just rumours and innuendo), and generally living through hell.  I don't think most of us have a very good appreciation of that... ...and so, a good rant to reset all of us is probably in order...

2 minutes ago, GasPed said:

I don't really think it was directed at you so much as at all of us who have freely speculated about moves with all these kids and saying "Why is nothing happening?" and "Shouldn't they/their agent be doing something?", etc.  I think the bottomline is that while we just type the questions out on our keyboards, those kids and their families are actually living the stress, waiting and wondering on phone calls that never come, seeing tweets and social posts fly back and forth (most of which are just rumours and innuendo), and generally living through hell.  I don't think most of us have a very good appreciation of that... ...and so, a good rant to reset all of us is probably in order...

I was quoted, so it was definitely to me...

I understand the stress, but it's the gift and the curse of being a pro footballer. Some talented players aren't afforded the opportunities that others get and have to work normal jobs that they don't love. Ask Dero, and JDG for the older guys...or Junior Hoilett for the millennials. 

I've heard a basketball player say "stress, people pay their hard-earned money to come to watch me play the game I love, the game that pays me to take care of my family. I can't talk about stress"

This is a Canadian Soccer Forum, all those things you mentioned will happen around here. It happens in a lot of player threads, some guys are playing in top leagues but get roasted this one is unique for one reason. We speculate we discuss based on what's out there - some of that is directly put on here by family members or agents.

39 minutes ago, spitfire said:

The scenes at half time are fun.  Wouldn't trust English fans. even at this level to go back to their seats after.