Liam Millar

Northvansteve

9 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

Why does Kazakhstan compete in Europa League? 

Edit: Somehow I'm just now realizing that UEFA has a lot of members outside of Europe

Sports was an entry level geography lesson for me as a kid, so I had some erroneous thoughts for a while like Israel was in Europe and that England, Wales, Scotland, and Northern Ireland were completely separate.

19 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

The part of Kazakstan that is west of the Urals is in Europe. They switched to UEFA in like 2000 or something- I think it was because Europe has 13 World Cup spots Vs Asia’s 4.5.

Has anyone been watching the game? Can’t see any stats as to how Millar is playing. 

Watching the game. Basel scored two to even it up to 3-3 aggregate. But then Kaz team scored. Down one with 15minutes left

Liam drew the penalty for Basel's 2nd goal

32 minutes ago, blueseeka said:

Watching the game. Basel scored two to even it up to 3-3 aggregate. But then Kaz team scored. Down one with 15minutes left

Liam drew the penalty for Basel's 2nd goal

The market of the stream is greyish, I assume?

Edit: Liam out in the 78', score the same. 

Edit 2: Unfortunately stays the same at fulltime and Basel are done with Europe for this year.

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

12 hours ago, Aird25 said:

Why does Kazakhstan compete in Europa League? 

Edit: Somehow I'm just now realizing that UEFA has a lot of members outside of Europe

The Soviet Union was a member of UEFA. When the USSR broke up, all of the newly independent former Soviet republics of Central Asia were given the option of remaining in UEFA or shifting to the AFC. 

36 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

The Soviet Union was a member of UEFA. When the USSR broke up, all of the newly independent former Soviet republics of Central Asia were given the option of remaining in UEFA or shifting to the AFC. 

True but Kazakstan started in AFC and moved later to UEFA.  It was allowed to because of its actual geography.

51 minutes ago, rydermike said:

North Mississauga SC rebranding to Liverpool International Academy Mississauga. 

Liam Millar went from North Miss to Liverpool. I wonder if that's why Liverpool chose North Miss

https://www.lfciamiss.ca/pressrelease

Wtf branding.....🤪😮‍💨

"We've officially rebranded to be more desirable in getting more money".

This all has to do with trying to make Liverpool more global, and less about giving kids opportunities at the club. 

But we shall see...

Edited by Shway

14 minutes ago, Ruffian said:

That is a bit sad losing local names to some big brand name. My son played at North Mississauga SC.

I was president of NorthMiss for 2 Years and coached there for 7 … been NMSC since 1984 over 40 years and was streetsville meadowvale before that (1974) …

Said to see this rebranding a storied club.. with lots of ups and downs and no shortage of drama lol but has produced a few great players … 

But in  the end and one of the big problems with soccer in Canada is its bottom fed(grassroots funds the elite youth programs)  and money talks.

rant over 

I agree most likely a cash grab. When Rocket Robin interviewed Waterloo's coach about their Borussia Dortmund branding, he basically called it that saying they've done nothing

http://www.rocketrobinsoccerintoronto.com/reports23/Jun2523A.mp3

At least with the TFC ones, they said TFC Academy coaches were regularly there and would take kids for tryouts. 

Edited by rydermike

1 hour ago, spitfire said:

But in  the end and one of the big problems with soccer in Canada is its bottom fed(grassroots funds the elite youth programs)  and money talks. 

This is a real issue and a problem. 
This discussion is more aligned with "pay dispute" thread as that's literally how one of the CSA's largest revenue contributors are generated. 

9 minutes ago, Shway said:

This is a real issue and a problem. 
This discussion is more aligned with "pay dispute" thread as that's literally how one of the CSA's largest revenue contributors are generated. 

Am I wrong in thinking that this is largely because there's next to no money at the top of the pyramid? Our top teams don't break even. Why should they be expected to fund grass roots programs additionally

1 hour ago, rydermike said:

I agree most likely a cash grab. When Rocket Robin interviewed Waterloo's coach about their Borussia Dortmund branding, he basically called it that saying they've done nothing

At least with the TFC ones, they said TFC Academy coaches were regularly there and would take kids for tryouts. 

I recently found out PSG has an academy in Montreal, and I know Barcelona has a club here too. To my knowledge, neither team has produced any players of note. 

2 hours ago, rydermike said:

Yeah my main thought when I think about BVB IA Waterloo is they regularly get destroyed in League1 Ontario.

On 8/4/2023 at 9:50 AM, InglewoodJack said:

I recently found out PSG has an academy in Montreal, and I know Barcelona has a club here too. To my knowledge, neither team has produced any players of note. 

They're just licensed pay to play clubs bought by semi-pros or mid-level kids cosches for business purposes, that's why. Neither have the least to do with either clubs' academy programs.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

4 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

They're just licensed pay to play clubs bought by semi-pros ormid level kids cosches for business purposes, that's why. Neither have the least to do with either clubs' academy programs.

Yup. Same nonsense here in Vancouver. Real Madrid branded camps as well. The PSG one has giant inflatable gates to walk through like pros would come out for in a Champions League final and the kids are all taught to chant "Ici c'est Paris."

On 8/6/2023 at 9:30 AM, DeRo_Is_King said:

Not a bad game from Millar today. Looked active, especially in the second half, and probably could have had an assist if Basel's finishing was better. Also, took a couple of heavy first touches, so might want to work on that.

Still too much "would've, could've,  should've" for club and country. 

Hope this season he absolutely kills it, though.

4 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

They're just licensed pay to play clubs bought by semi-pros ormid level kids cosches for business purposes, that's why. Neither have the least to do with either clubs' academy programs.

Yeah, I realized that when I found out that Barcelona has camps in I believe most major cities in Canada, but I think the only Canadian to have ever actually played in their academy was Tabla who came through IMFC, not Barca. It's a cool thing to join if your kid is good but not great and you have money, I guess. I wonder how many parents have been burned because they sent their kid to play "for barcelona" or "PSG" and basically just stunt their growth instead of bringing them up through League1 or MLS academies.

1 hour ago, InglewoodJack said:

Yeah, I realized that when I found out that Barcelona has camps in I believe most major cities in Canada, but I think the only Canadian to have ever actually played in their academy was Tabla who came through IMFC, not Barca. It's a cool thing to join if your kid is good but not great and you have money, I guess. I wonder how many parents have been burned because they sent their kid to play "for barcelona" or "PSG" and basically just stunt their growth instead of bringing them up through League1 or MLS academies.

There's a story out here on Vancouver Island of a first nations kid who is going to play for "Real Madrid" and they are doing the proverbial GoFundMe to get the 60 grand.

https://www.timescolonist.com/sports/tsartlip-teen-offered-spot-in-real-madrid-training-program-7306739

Basically, it is a scam, because they get the money for this great experience (fine) by saying he is joining RM (lie). If you just say it is a nice experience and let's help the kid have this thing, then great. But if he were good enough for RM academy proper, they'd pay everything, of course. 

Then there was that Mexican-Canadian kid from North Van who did the same thing to Barça about 10 years ago, Gianni Patino. Then he "declared" for Mexico.  My comments from 13 years ago on the case are in this thread, where I observe that he was basically at the exact level as my son (who would have been a solid 6th or even on a prayer 5th tier player if he hadn't chosen to get a degree):