Liam Millar

Northvansteve

Yea but its also very stupid to reference one game where he didn't score, when he's on a rate of .75 goals a game or a goal every other game. He's not a great comparison at all for that analogy. 

International soccer doesn't allow for these granular stats, specifically for attackers. 
If you're not creating chances, or scoring goals at a respectable rates you will be overlooked/questioned as to your current value to the nation. 

Club soccer sees things in a different light, which typically bubbles down to the investment. Where as International ball is what are you doing now, and how have you done when you were in the squad. 

25 minutes ago, Shway said:

Yea but its also very stupid to reference one game where he didn't score, when he's on a rate of .75 goals a game or a goal every other game. He's not a great comparison at all for that analogy. 

International soccer doesn't allow for these granular stats, specifically for attackers. 
If you're not creating chances, or scoring goals at a respectable rates you will be overlooked/questioned as to your current value to the nation. 

Club soccer sees things in a different light, which typically bubbles down to the investment. Where as International ball is what are you doing now, and how have you done when you were in the squad. 

You know what I love about statements like this one above it total takes out the rest of the game. The build up, possession, team shape and individual assignments all the things that lead up to creating that chance to score. 
Very few goals are scored in a game. That’s a fact and to only talk about players goals and assist is naive. And to think National teams don’t look at those stats is beyond comprehension… you are chosen for the national team based on your club form and what U do for the national team when u get there…
the OBV takes into account all that a player does on a pitch leading up to a goal what they do off the ball and in and out of possession. The goal scorer is important very important but the build up is just as important and what each player does without the ball is the real difference here. 

this part of the thread is not about Liam at all. He needs to do more for the national team (goals and assists wise)and I know he will based on where his form is going it’s not if but when he does. 

As for XG assist and OBV Don't take my word for it every club in all the top leagues uses Stays Bomb and Wyescout to rate and scout players. Yes they hve eyes on the ground but I can tell u 100% from experience that they follow the stats too….more than people think 

Jonny is an amazing player who yes scores lots of great goals(thank god) but the other parts of his game that we saw vs the US are why he will be a top top player at the highest level that I’m sure off 

Edited by spitfire

And just another note if goals and assists were all that mattered then Messi and Ronaldo arguably the best goal scorers in history would have won a World Cup … the difference is at the national team neither  of those players have the OBV and xg assists around them that’s they have with them at their clubs…

Edited by spitfire

3 hours ago, spitfire said:

You know what I love about statements like this one above it total takes out the rest of the game. The build up, possession, team shape and individual assignments all the things that lead up to creating that chance to score. 
Very few goals are scored in a game. That’s a fact and to only talk about players goals and assist is naive. And to think National teams don’t look at those stats is beyond comprehension… you are chosen for the national team based on your club form and what U do for the national team when u get there…
the OBV takes into account all that a player does on a pitch leading up to a goal what they do off the ball and in and out of possession. The goal scorer is important very important but the build up is just as important and what each player does without the ball is the real difference here. 

this part of the thread is not about Liam at all. He needs to do more for the national team (goals and assists wise)and I know he will based on where his form is going it’s not if but when he does. 

As for XG assist and OBV Don't take my word for it every club in all the top leagues uses Stays Bomb and Wyescout to rate and scout players. Yes they hve eyes on the ground but I can tell u 100% from experience that they follow the stats too….more than people think 

Jonny is an amazing player who yes scores lots of great goals(thank god) but the other parts of his game that we saw vs the US are why he will be a top top player at the highest level that I’m sure off 

Yeah. That was the approach Canada used years back in hockey. Just put out the 20 highest scoring players and then we would get smoked by the Europeans as they picked a team. 

10 hours ago, lenny said:

I agree it was one of his best, and it was captured by the stats.

Fotmob gave him an 8.1 - the only higher rating on the field was Adekugbe's 8.6.

https://www.fotmob.com/match/3613455/matchfacts/canada-vs-usa

Also worth noting that although David didn't score, he DID have an assist in that game on Larin's goal.

I'm not saying only goals and assists matter, just strengthening the argument that that particular performance's quality was captured by the stats.

14 hours ago, spitfire said:

And just another note if goals and assists were all that mattered then Messi and Ronaldo arguably the best goal scorers in history would have won a World Cup … the difference is at the national team neither  of those players have the OBV and xg assists around them that’s they have with them at their clubs…

Messi would have a WC if Higuain had put in that one chance vs. Germany that he would normally put in. That Argentina was pretty good.

Ronaldo won a Eurocup in crutches on the sidelines, hopping around like crazy.

I don't think anyone take anything away from a player because a team has limitations, look at George Weah. Which is why you absolutely have to give full credit to those players who were able to not only win but score winners, like Maradona or Zidane (Paolo Rossi). It is an extra mark of greatness. 

BTW, maybe I am naive, but I think that Barça pays very little attention to OBV and xg, or at least the coaches do not filter through them and signings are not done that way. And I prefer it that way, to be honest, even if it means going dry on the trophies for longer spells.

Halftime Basel down 1-0 dodgy penalty…Basel struggling against a very good strong team. Liam is man Marking Guendouzzi (on loan from Arsenal) 24 hrs after having food poisoning… not seeing much of the ball going forward but staying in shape…real test of Basels metal here…

Liam was instrumental in the 2-0 win Vs Servette taking FC Basel into 2nd place. Played the last 45(still recovering from the stomach bug last week) was 0-0 at halftime) and was ripping the back line his run lead to the first goal!! Had 4 keys passes in the game 
Building confidence every week … wish someone would do one of those clips from the game complication’s on Liam one day… (like the one they  do on TJ on Twitter)!! Bring on Marseille Thursday!!

Edited by spitfire

I watched long parts, at the half and end of watching Barça, who were on same time (I can roll back live broadcasts to where I want). But saw the goals and long phases. 

It was a tough match, with not a lot of flow. Basel worked very hard, with a lot of young players and perhaps lacking some of the guys who have left and maybe needing a few other veterans to help manage. They have to think better about being a club nuturing younger talent, that only works if you have 5-6 guys who are stalwarts and help hold the team together that you are not going to sell on. If you dismantle a team you can't compete on the level you need to show off what you have.

You could see they were younger and less experienced than OM but the talent is there--Tavares, a young LB on loan from Benfica, nice player--and they handled the game well. They had little space to work and Liam was well covered, often closed in quickly and up high. He put in a very serious shift, as we say, as did pretty well the whole team. He was the only attacking player not to be subbed out.

OM is physical and better honed and seemed to be a touch ahead, but Basel scratched themselves into the game admirably after their keeper made a nice stop on a penalty first half. Not surprised by the result but to keep it close, and then only lose late when you were pushing forward, that was understandable. Technically they never were out of this knock-out until the dying minutes of stoppage time.