Canadian Premier League

ted

5 minutes ago, Rheo said:

If the CSA is creating the league I'm pretty sure sanctioning won't be an issue when/if it gets started

Check through Victor Montagliani's quotes this year. There has been as much about cross-border leagues under CSA control as there has been about the standalone CPL approach. He has been playing all the angles.

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Rheo said:

Half new to all the rules and regulations stuff involved but why might the Voyaugeurs Cup be off the table with the move?  No team at the lower level to play in?

He followed that up with the V-Cup being off the table is not a certainty, that he is just passing on what he is being told from CSA sources. 

3 minutes ago, Rheo said:

Half new to all the rules and regulations stuff involved but why might the Voyaugeurs Cup be off the table with the move?  No team at the lower level to play in?

The MLS reserve teams have been excluded, but that was because they are B teams. No logical reason why that would apply to the Fury just because they are in the USL

1 minute ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

The MLS reserve teams have been excluded, but that was because they are B teams. No logical reason why that would apply to the Fury just because they are in the USL

That's what I figure but I know there's a lot more knowlegable people in the politics/rules in here and that's why I asked 

2 minutes ago, matty said:

I'm aware of that but I'm asking what impact the move will ultimately have on them. 

Probably none; it's not like Ottawa was close enough to cause a huge savings in their travel costs.

Now they just have to routinely travel "really really far" instead of just "really far".

1 minute ago, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

man, it does seem like news is coming fast and furious right now.

Way too fast but super fun.  Getting my post numbers up so maybe I can get out of the Junior member level lol.  Seriously though reminds me of hockey trade deadline day.  I need to get out of work so I can get on Twitter to follow.

4 minutes ago, Gopherbashi said:

Probably none; it's not like Ottawa was close enough to cause a huge savings in their travel costs.

Now they just have to routinely travel "really really far" instead of just "really far".

I agree with that but I'm more curious about whether we see a roster shake up (since it's likely a number of players especially Canadians will likely not want to drop to the USL) and if the Fury being in the NASL had any benefits for them attendance or promotion wise.

I don't know the NASL that well so I'm curious from those in the know about them if there should be any worry or excitement.

http://the11.ca/dec-4-is-decision-day-csa-to-vote-on-furys-potential-move-to-usl/

Sandor saying that the Fury's application is still pending, will be reviewed on December 4.

But really, the Fury have gone public long before they had permission. Something tells me they were getting negative signals and are playing chicken with the CSA, betting they would rather approve the move than appear to be losing control of a 1/5 of the pro teams in their jurisdiction. Not a pretty sight

4 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

The CSA decides on the Fury's sanctioning on Dec 4th apparently:

http://the11.ca/dec-4-is-decision-day-csa-to-vote-on-furys-potential-move-to-usl/

Think it's highly unlikely it would have been announced publicly if the details had not already been agreed.

Sandor's comment seems to indicate otherwise, unless you read this differently

2 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

Sandor's comment seems to indicate otherwise, unless you read this differently

Do you not believe 1. in Duane Rollins' series of tweets that you posted above given you see him as a credible source? Ottawa floated a trial balloon with the tweets a few weeks back about moving to USL that the CSA could easily have shot down with a single press release about the moratorium still being place once the media coverage started.

2 minutes ago, lazlo_80 said:

Yeah this is a very defensive posture by the CSA. This whole situation is fishy. 

It's not impossible that they'll deny sanctioning.  It seems unthinkable, but only 12 months ago they killed the Laval Cometes and Quebec Dynamo by stopping their move to UWS from the (defunct) W-League.  And that was with no pro women's league anywhere on the horizon.

If they *do* refuse OFFC's move to USL though, they sure as fuck better be announcing the CPL before they do so.  Killing a pro team for something you can't even confirm would be absolutely ridiculous.

1 minute ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Do you not believe 1. in Duane Rollins' series of tweets that you posted above given you see him as a credible source? Ottawa floated a trial balloon with the tweets a few weeks back about moving to USL that the CSA could easily have shot down with a single press release about the moratorium still being place once the media coverage started.

Fair point, tweets are coming fast. I suppose it could just be a "We're probably letting you do it, but don't forget who is boss" type of statement

1 minute ago, Gopherbashi said:

If they *do* refuse OFFC's move to USL though, they sure as fuck better be announcing the CPL before they do so.  Killing a pro team for something you can't even confirm would be absolutely ridiculous.

Amen

3 minutes ago, Gopherbashi said:

It's not impossible that they'll deny sanctioning.  It seems unthinkable, but only 12 months ago they killed the Laval Cometes and Quebec Dynamo by stopping their move to UWS from the (defunct) W-League.  And that was with no pro women's league anywhere on the horizon.

Since the decision day is Dec 4, I would be surprised if the announcement hadn't happened yet

1 minute ago, Complete Homer said:

Since the decision day is Dec 4, I would be surprised if the announcement hadn't happened yet

Given the track record of announcement dates we've had in the past, I'd conversely be surprised if there was an announcement by then.

I'd be 14 shades of blue if I held my breath every time we were supposed to have an imminent announcement.

7 minutes ago, Gopherbashi said:

Honestly I hope this is what they do.  If the CSA isn't here to promote the success of Canadian Soccer AS A WHOLE then what are they here for at all?  But yes, it would mean the CPL must be imminent.

Just now, Gopherbashi said:

Given the track record of announcement dates we've had in the past, I'd conversely be surprised if there was an announcement by then.

I'd be 14 shades of blue if I held my breath every time we were supposed to have an imminent announcement.

There's a new book title about the trials and tribulations of a Voyageur in there somewhere... 

Archived