Richmond "Richie" Laryea

Dub Narcotic

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

Laryea looked like Davies on that play

Davies looked like a Ferrari trying to drive on a slippery winter day

I think what's underappreciated about Laryea's run is that it came in the 85th minute of a game played in 30-degree heat, and on a soft field.

Richie's engine is unmatched by most in the pool. I'd say only Alistair Johnston is up there in terms of fitness.

5 minutes ago, RS said:

I think what's underappreciated about Laryea's run is that it came in the 85th minute of a game played in 30-degree heat, and on a soft field.

Richie's engine is unmatched by most in the pool. I'd say only Alistair Johnston is up there in terms of fitness.

You should try to catch 5 minutes of Choiniere.

1 minute ago, RS said:

Yes, I'll try to watch my first-ever CF Montreal match when the league starts back up in February :rolleyes:

And I'm the one constantly accused of shoehorning club biases into posts.

I sent that with a chuckle in mind, perhaps too soon after your recent exchange with Unnamed Trialist. My emoji game is terrible, so unable to send it with the correct emotion.  I understand it's perhaps a bit too much attention all at once.

Point stands, Choiniere is perhaps arguably the most fit in the pool.  My money would be on him for a marathon after a full 90.

16 minutes ago, narduch said:

Still think NF did Laryea dirty and he should have had a better shot.

He can do better than MLS

It's funny that Caps fans aren't sold on Laryea being good value, but then you see him do that stuff for Canada in a game where Davies is relatively ineffectual and it really makes you think. Is Laryea not getting the love he deserves, or is he just better for Canada (and Toronto) than he's been with Vancouver? And if so, how much of that is down to Laryea joining mid-season versus how Vancouver use him? 

It was an amazing play but also the reality is that without the play he has a poor match. That’s the issue with Richie in that his best matches are (almost) always when he contributes offensively - he hasn’t been able to do that with Vancouver as much as with Toronto. Pretty easy to see why he isn’t valued at Nottingham Forest and why he hasn’t had the same reviews in Vancouver as in Toronto. 

If he were a complete player he would be in the EPL easily. 

50 minutes ago, RS said:

I think Eustaquio has similar fitness, to be fair. There was a moment late in Kingston when instead of Osorio pressuring up high on the left, it was Stephen, he was pressuring a CB and the RB with energy, he did not seem at all phased by the heat or the demands of the game. 

Let me say, in general, our players have good fitness. David and Larin do as well, in fact if you go through our group, rarely do we see anyone cramping up late, regardless of conditions. 

40 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

It was an amazing play but also the reality is that without the play he has a poor match. That’s the issue with Richie in that his best matches are (almost) always when he contributes offensively - he hasn’t been able to do that with Vancouver as much as with Toronto. Pretty easy to see why he isn’t valued at Nottingham Forest and why he hasn’t had the same reviews in Vancouver as in Toronto. 

If he were a complete player he would be in the EPL easily. 

Laryea had a strong game defending and tying up Bailey.  He had is hands full all match, need to also consider he was tasked with watching out for Vitoria with this cement boots.  That was a great call by Biello, I love Johnston, but not sure he would have been quite as effective.

52 minutes ago, RS said:

I don't see the point of you "well actually"ing me on a post about Laryea — in Laryea's thread — other than to troll me.

Enjoy your chuckle.

No, trolling would be pointing out TFC's horrible season at every opportunity to egg you on.  But I nor anyone else here has done that, that's not how we roll or why we're here. 

Pointing out Osorio has lost it and Choiniere is among the fittest is not trolling or club bias.  It's exchanging opinions and ideas on something we're all passionate about.  It doesn't all have to be TFC vs VWC v CFM, anything that benefits CANMNT benefits us all. 

If you don't see yourself in that and can't take any comments that either lean positively towards a non-TFC player or negatively towards a TFC player without getting triggered, I invite you to stick to the TFC-only pages.

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

It's funny that Caps fans aren't sold on Laryea being good value, but then you see him do that stuff for Canada in a game where Davies is relatively ineffectual and it really makes you think. Is Laryea not getting the love he deserves, or is he just better for Canada (and Toronto) than he's been with Vancouver? And if so, how much of that is down to Laryea joining mid-season versus how Vancouver use him? 

The question is:  would you make him a DP in MLS?

3 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

The question is:  would you make him a DP in MLS?

I think it depends. I obviously don't think he's value at 3 or 4 million a year, but at a low end DP deal? Maybe. I think it has to be something you can easily buy down to TAM to free up a DP spot if needed. If Vancouver have no immediate plans to add a 3rd DP, making Laryea a DP with the option to buy him down seems fine.

I guess the counter is that you can't bring in a DP if you don't have a spot - but again, if you don't have plans to bring one in anyways then there's no harm done in my mind. 

I think the best scenario would be for Laryea to be on TAM and Vancouver to bring in a 3rd DP. If they have to buy down Laryea's DP deal to make that happen, I have no problem with that. 

25 minutes ago, costarg said:

Laryea had a strong game defending and tying up Bailey.  He had is hands full all match, need to also consider he was tasked with watching out for Vitoria with this cement boots.  That was a great call by Biello, I love Johnston, but not sure he would have been quite as effective.

He was also directly responsible for Jamaica’s first chance of the match when he lost Bailey. Also gave the ball directly to a Jamaican attacker which led to another chance early on. 

He did settle in but he was looking like a halftime sub candidate in those first 15.

2 hours ago, RS said:

Thought Ritchie had a Hell of a match.  Honestly think he's at his best when Mr Snarky comes out, can't say that's true for every player.   

And boy did Mr Snarky sure come out early Saturday morning.

Beauty raid that.  Lovely stuff.

2 hours ago, costarg said:

No, trolling would be pointing out TFC's horrible season at every opportunity to egg you on.  But I nor anyone else here has done that, that's not how we roll or why we're here.

You must have confused me with someone else, because there have been a ton of posts on this board about how terrible TFC's season has been, and I rarely (if ever) responded to them — because they're all accurate.

Pointing out how bad TFC was this year would not be news to me or anyone else with half a brain. Yet for some reason I've been painted by a few people as some half-wit defender of TFC who only exists to argue their virtues on here, as if I haven't been on this board and its predecessor since 1997, a full 10 years before that team kicked its first ball in anger.

In fact, I rarely talk about TFC on this board. Go through my comment history if you'd like. The overwhelming majority of my posts are in this sub-forum, and I actually post more in the CPL sub-forum than TFC's (or MLS' overall).

2 hours ago, costarg said:

Pointing out Osorio has lost it and Choiniere is among the fittest is not trolling or club bias.  It's exchanging opinions and ideas on something we're all passionate about.  It doesn't all have to be TFC vs VWC v CFM, anything that benefits CANMNT benefits us all. 

If you don't see yourself in that and can't take any comments that either lean positively towards a non-TFC player or negatively towards a TFC player without getting triggered, I invite you to stick to the TFC-only pages.

I do find it ironic that you're scolding me about not being able to take any comments that lean positively towards a non-TFC player in a thread where you literally responded to my positive Laryea comment with a completely out of left field "what about Choiniere?" post, though.

Oh, but you were doing it with "a chuckle" (that nobody could see or hear) so it doesn't count.

And I'll point out, for the umpteenth time during our recent interactions, that it was you who brought Osorio into this discussion on Laryea's thread, not I. As you seem to do in every discussion.

I'm not sure what he did to earn your ire, but me occasionally pointing out your unhealthy obsession with him isn't some pro-TFC bias.

3 hours ago, Obinna said:

I guess the counter is that you can't bring in a DP if you don't have a spot - but again, if you don't have plans to bring one in anyways then there's no harm done in my mind. 

Fair or not, the DP tag carries some connotations on what the player is/should be: one of the best in the league, a player who you count on late in a game to win it for you. The Whitecaps once made Brek Shea a DP and it was a bad situation for everyone. So, I think there actually would be harm in making him a DP if he's not worth it. And based on last year, he should not be a DP for Vancouver. TAM? Absolutely.

4 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

He was also directly responsible for Jamaica’s first chance of the match when he lost Bailey. Also gave the ball directly to a Jamaican attacker which led to another chance early on. 

He did settle in but he was looking like a halftime sub candidate in those first 15.

I agree - his early game performance was not good at all.  But after that, he really played well - frustrated the heck out of Bailey (although Bailey did a lot of that to himself too 😉) and was solid defensively.  And when he finally broke out on the offensive side, it was a thing of beauty.

As a VWFC supporter, I'm always "Why can't Vancouver Richie be like Canada Richie?"  I'm still asking that question.  🤔

6 hours ago, narduch said:

Still think NF did Laryea dirty and he should have had a better shot.

He can do better than MLS

If only he was like two years younger, he’d have stuck. The NF situation was so out of his control and such a specific situation, it’s unfair that was that for his European career. You look at this dogshit Watford team that’s apparently a “yo yo club” and I think the Laryea we saw on Saturday morning would not only be their best player but cause their manager to drop loan the squad to League One seeing just how much effort a single player can give. 

12 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

If only he was like two years younger, he’d have stuck. The NF situation was so out of his control and such a specific situation, it’s unfair that was that for his European career. You look at this dogshit Watford team that’s apparently a “yo yo club” and I think the Laryea we saw on Saturday morning would not only be their best player but cause their manager to drop loan the squad to League One seeing just how much effort a single player can give. 

Well, then they can get him on loan in January. He should definitely take a strong Championship team loan over a return to the Whitecaps/MLS.  The 3 Canadian sides will always be available to him, but a chance in Europe is fleeting.

1 hour ago, Watchmen said:

Fair or not, the DP tag carries some connotations on what the player is/should be: one of the best in the league, a player who you count on late in a game to win it for you. The Whitecaps once made Brek Shea a DP and it was a bad situation for everyone. So, I think there actually would be harm in making him a DP if he's not worth it. And based on last year, he should not be a DP for Vancouver. TAM? Absolutely.

Brek Shea and Richie Laryea comparison aside (pretty silly and a little disrespectful), I do understand there is a connotation of what a DP player is/should be. However, there is a reason why you started your post off with "Fair or not", right? You wouldn't have to qualify your post this way if people didn't place unfair expectations on the DP players (such as Laryea) who are DP in name-only, since they are paid TAM wages.

Tell me why he is worth a TAM spot but not a DP spot when his DP salary falls within the TAM maximum? Clearly it's not about the salary.

It must be about the spot being occupied by Laryea, when it could be be used for a more expensive player in theory.

And again, couldn't they just by him down to free up the spot when the time is right? 

44 minutes ago, GasPed said:

I agree - his early game performance was not good at all.  But after that, he really played well - frustrated the heck out of Bailey (although Bailey did a lot of that to himself too 😉) and was solid defensively.  And when he finally broke out on the offensive side, it was a thing of beauty.

As a VWFC supporter, I'm always "Why can't Vancouver Richie be like Canada Richie?"  I'm still asking that question.  🤔

I think the guys hardly settled in to playing for the Whitecaps. 

You need the commitment, first, and here I am not sure Laryea is really enthused about being in Vancouver. 

But if he is, along with Adekugbe and Hoillet even, if they go into training with the right attitude the season could go well. 

Having them also enables the club to let Teibert down easy.