Richmond "Richie" Laryea

Dub Narcotic

QPR did this when promoted in 2012 from the Championship, they bought all kinds of players with EPL experience but they were all older and just looking for one last good payday and it didn't work out too well with the team staying up by the skin of their teeth and the manager who promoted them (Neil Warnock) getting sacked part way through the season! Squads do have to be strengthened but too much turnover can really disrupt the team as it can take a while for a new bunch of players to gel and there can be resentment from the players who worked so hard to get the team promoted but now have a reduced role!

6 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Really NF signing policy is a bit of a disgrace. 

Any strong Championship team, and top 2nd tier in the top leagues that is well-coached, should survive in EPL or equivalent. Especially if you add a few pieces to a group that already plays well together. 

When they sign like this, disrespecting guys who got you into EPL, deserve to continue, deserve to have a chance in EPL, are loyal to the club, and are likely cheaper as well, it's plain distasteful. 

Question of finding the right balance. Plenty of teams have promoted and then bought 3-4 players, in key positions. And they've been fine, end up mid-table. Then in winter, bring a few more in. 

The Forest model is also a huge statement to your youth: you are not going to be good enough, so forget it. And that creates a negative spiral, a team that does not promote its academy and youth is not a team youth want to go to. Meaning every bit of talent you need has to be bought.

If Laryea ends up on the outside, I hope they go down burning.

Just a little context, I believe Forest lost 5 important players who were on loan last season (including there best player). That said, I hope them go down because of Lingard. 

6 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Really NF signing policy is a bit of a disgrace. 

Any strong Championship team, and top 2nd tier in the top leagues that is well-coached, should survive in EPL or equivalent. Especially if you add a few pieces to a group that already plays well together. 

When they sign like this, disrespecting guys who got you into EPL, deserve to continue, deserve to have a chance in EPL, are loyal to the club, and are likely cheaper as well, it's plain distasteful. 

Question of finding the right balance. Plenty of teams have promoted and then bought 3-4 players, in key positions. And they've been fine, end up mid-table. Then in winter, bring a few more in. 

The Forest model is also a huge statement to your youth: you are not going to be good enough, so forget it. And that creates a negative spiral, a team that does not promote its academy and youth is not a team youth want to go to. Meaning every bit of talent you need has to be bought.

If Laryea ends up on the outside, I hope they go down burning.

Just a little context, I believe Forest lost 5 important players who were on loan last season (including there best player). That said, I hope them go down because of Lingard. 

3 minutes ago, Greatest Cockney Rip Off said:

So they promoted with loans they decided to not keep, or had no option on?

You know what we are talking about. In the lower half of the table in the big leagues there are teams that care about their academies, have player loyalty, the club is also loyal to the manager, they build rationally and don't overspend, and there they are, in top flight. Stadium atmosphere is important, they have ticket prices that are accessible for the long-time fans who have supported for decades while the team was in lower leagues.

Beside other teams that have none of that and do none of that and really make far less contribution to the game. 

I am not talking about the real aspirants to trophies, of course. Nor do I want to idealise, but the fact is you can choose which model you prefer. There's a Basque club, Eibar, an industrial town in the north, stadium holds less than 9,000, they went over twenty straight years in Spanish 2nd division, then promoted and were in La Liga for 7 straight, just went down in 2021. Last year they missed out on direct promotion on the last day. There are plenty of honest football teams like that in England.

18 hours ago, RJB said:

Jizz?

Really shows himself when stimulating football is on show. ;)

15 hours ago, RJB said:

Can they sign Jizz? ...that you can't play for three clubs in one year?

We would have to check the details on that but if that were the case, you could call that transfer premature. ;)

17 hours ago, Obinna said:

Cue @Olympique_de_Marseille :)

He loves this guy!

The best name in football! :D

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

11 minutes ago, Infernal said:

Damn. I really wanted him to stay in Europe. 

I agree generally but at this point priority 1 is getting him consistent playing time and doing so in a way that lets him get his mojo back.  TFC will do that for him.   Europe will be there after the WC, but the main thing now is to optimize his situation in the buildup to Qatar.  If he would have integrated with NF after moving there in January there wouldn’t be an issue. It with the way things have gone I am fine with this outcome in the short term.   Sort the rest out after November.  

8 minutes ago, Chad_Impact said:

Pathetic by Forest, he is no doubt good enough to play a wing back role in the prem for a side like them. This is why you need to be cautious about moves to England...

Hope Forest goes down in flames for what they're doing with Richie and the players that got them there

Yep I'm looking forward to seeing them get relegated for how Cooper and co have treated Richie. It's not like Richie looked bad in any of his five games with Forest. Ridiculous asset management from them.

39 minutes ago, Infernal said:

Damn. I really wanted him to stay in Europe. 

Me too. 

This move seems too "easy".  I was hoping he'd stay in Europe and get challenged a bit.

Also, it'll be for a grand total of 11 games.  What is he going to do between Oct. 10th and mid-November?

Its better than nothing but I was really hoping something from the Championship or Belgium came up.

This move was probably made with family considerations. I believe he packed up the whole family and moved to Nottingham in a determined, all-or-nothing sort of way, rather than leaving them back in Toronto and "seeing how it goes" in England? Wasn't that the case? Anyways, assuming that's accurate, it may explain why he'd return to Toronto instead of going on loan to say Belgium or the Netherlands, or even elsewhere in England. In all of those cases you are re-locating yourself and/or your family to a different location, temporarily, whereas in Toronto Richie and/or family get a temporary stop back to the comfrorable confins of home. Maybe they stay with relatives instead of finding temp accomodations in a forgien city. I don't know, obviously just spit balling here but I imagine such things being part of the decision.

On the footballing side he re-joins a beefed up squad, one with Insigne and Bernadeschi, two players who are better than his typical Forrest teammates, while Chrisito, Osorio, Kaye and maybe even Bradley are all Championship level players anyways. Christio could probably survive in the EPL actually, despite being 36. Anyways, point being is that he'll be around some strong players so he won't really be losing out in that respect.

1 minute ago, InglewoodJack said:

That’s super lame. Hasn’t JMR been playing RB lately too or am I imagining that? Seems like this is one of the worst moves, CANMNT-speaking.

Yes, he has. Hopefully, they send one of Kosi or JMR on loan somewhere. Don't think TFC 2 is a high enough level for either of them. 

1 minute ago, InglewoodJack said:

That’s super lame. Hasn’t JMR been playing RB lately too or am I imagining that? Seems like this is one of the worst moves, CANMNT-speaking.

It's basically for 12 or 13 games, however few TFC have left, I can't recall off hand. Very temporary, so not worth fretting over. 

JMR can find reps elsewhere if he's that good. He'll have to now.

Great as a TFC fan, but even as a Canada fan it's great to have 4 World Cup players together week-in week-out. 3 if not 4 of them should be regularly starting together in this final stretch, which is a good thing for the chemistry ahead of Qatar.

3 minutes ago, canuckgbp said:

Yes, he has. Hopefully, they send one of Kosi or JMR on loan somewhere. Don't think TFC 2 is a high enough level for either of them. 

I don't think that's necessary.

Maybe for Kosi for a game or two, a la Shaffelburg before the Nashville loan, but Rutty will get his reps elsewhere I think. He doesn't need to go on loan, even temporarily. He's going to be important depth.

Kosi may be as well, just to a lesser degree.