Richmond "Richie" Laryea

Dub Narcotic

29 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Notts County is sacred. The oldest continual football club in the world. 

This is an absolute classic, my total respect to NF for playing this vs. County.

I knew I heard of them somewhere, that must be where. Funny enough their derby wins are pretty close- 40 for Forrest, 30 for county 

16 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

I knew I heard of them somewhere, that must be where. Funny enough their derby wins are pretty close- 40 for Forrest, 30 for county 

Sometimes I think we fans are not really as dedicated to the sport as we might think we are. We are mostly stuck in our little worlds and don't often pay homage to the bigger picture.

I mean, I'd like to go see Notts County, it should be a pilgrimage for footie fans. 

Compare dedicated golfers and going to play links in Scotland and visiting the Old Course at St Andrews.

On 7/8/2022 at 2:44 PM, Stryker911 said:

Nottingham lost 3-1 to Coventry today in a friendly. There starting left back was Nikolas Ioannou who spent last year on loan in Serie B. Looking at his career he doesn't seem significantly better than Laryea. Can't believe he isn't even being looked at.

Ioannou was loaned back out to Como, so that is one less outside back that he is competing with for time.

1 hour ago, InglewoodJack said:

Streets are saying Laryea looked pretty bad last game and coach looked pissed at him and a couple guys, Richie didn’t even acknowledge the coach when he was subbed off. 

I only saw highlights. It wasn't Laryea getting burned on the goals, but he didn't feature in any offensive highlights either. Forums seem to be polarized on his performance. Cooper seemed to be taking a shot at him and Cafu and maybe Soh after the game by referring to players who 'didn't play for us in the Championship' not having a good game. Seems odd as Cafu scored. Seems fairly clear that Cooper is not a fan of Laryea for whatever reason. It's one thing to say he has to take his opportunity, but managers make it clear that they are hoping for certain players to succeed, and others have to force them to acknowledge they belong. Doesn't look like Richie's done that for Cooper.

6 minutes ago, Cicero said:

I only saw highlights. It wasn't Laryea getting burned on the goals, but he didn't feature in any offensive highlights either. Forums seem to be polarized on his performance. Cooper seemed to be taking a shot at him and Cafu and maybe Soh after the game by referring to players who 'didn't play for us in the Championship' not having a good game. Seems odd as Cafu scored. Seems fairly clear that Cooper is not a fan of Laryea for whatever reason. It's one thing to say he has to take his opportunity, but managers make it clear that they are hoping for certain players to succeed, and others have to force them to acknowledge they belong. Doesn't look like Richie's done that for Cooper.

I’m just going off what the Nottingham Forrest message boards are saying, but what you’re saying seems to be the general consensus. Saw some comments about Laryea looking like a guy who knows he’s not sniffing the premier league and is just tossed out there because it’s a friendly against a bad team- if you’re a fringe player you have to stay motivated and positive and open to collaboration given your circumstances, but it seems like that may no longer be the case for Richie. 

I think the general impression is like, we have now seen what Richie Laryea can do as a starter on a premier league team and it’s clear he is not a premier league quality player. If he got on the coaches bad side which seems to be the case, I think you might start hearing those transfer rumours heating up soon. 

Think it goes without saying that he was signed with the Championship in mind. From the highlights there was a suprisingly large crowd at this for a preseason friendly so the local rivalry obviously still means a lot to both sets of fans. 2-2 is probably viewed as embarrassing on the Forest side of things because County are at the lowest ebb in their history so some scapegoats are needed basically. Definitely a game it was important to impress in.

21 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

I heard about them in the news when I was a kid because someone had a customized "NOTTS C" license plate and the public was trying to get it revoked. Dude was apparently a Huge NC fan.

Just now, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Remember that being a big news story but think the story was that his application for the novelty plate had been rejected because some over-officious bureaucrat thought it was a sneaky way to promote Nazism. Manitoba was the province in question as far as I remember.

Correct it was Manitoba and it was because of the Nazi thing, but I remember him already having the plate on his car. You may be correct, it was over 30 years ago.

4 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Think it goes without saying that he was signed with the Championship in mind. From the highlights there was a suprisingly large crowd at this for a preseason friendly so the local rivalry obviously still means a lot to both sets of fans. 2-2 is probably viewed as embarrassing on the Forest side of things because County are at the lowest ebb in their history so some scapegoats are needed basically. Definitely a game it was important to impress in.

True all this, but it depends how you treat a friendly vs. a weaker team. 

Wolves lost to Villareal B team in a friendly, with the first team playing elsewhere with a roster of 26, so not even fringe A team players on that Villareal side. So that is arguably not a very good result, and I don't think the Wolves coaching staff have this pissy attitude towards their fringe players after that result. Barça drew 1-1 their first pre-season friendly at Olot, a 4th tier team, and with quite a few first team stalwarts on the pitch. Take the punch and roll with it. 

Further, Notts County at home to Forest would be highly motivated, it is their derby match, so you have to take that into account as well.

Not saying, however, that Laryea is or is not deserving of making the EPL squad. But what the real story seems to be is that Forest are nervous about the season and that Cooper is already imagining how long it might take for him to be fired.

No idea if Laryea is an EPL player or not but there are several American players in the EPL and Laryea played against some of  them in WCQ and I don't think anyone would say he wasn't on or close to the same level. A lot depends on the coach/system. Lukaku who we know is EPL level didn't fit in with Tuchel. Same for Pogba at MU. Perhaps Cooper doesn't like Richie's "death stare"?

7 hours ago, Cicero said:

Definitely wasn't at fault for those goals. Too bad he couldn't get forward as much, but his confidence must be way down. After insta-benching him the second Laryea got to Forest, Cooper spouts off about the more senior guys not playing well against Notts f'ing County. C'mon. 

6 hours ago, PastPros said:

I don't really understand the point of the manager's comments.

To motivate? ...

Deflect criticism from himself would be the cynical explanation. Big Forest support at the game who were no doubt anticipating a routine humiliation of their near neighbours who are now four tiers lower but who have easily within living memory been a top tier club at the same time as Forest.

On 7/27/2022 at 7:46 AM, InglewoodJack said:

Streets are saying Laryea looked pretty bad last game and coach looked pissed at him and a couple guys, Richie didn’t even acknowledge the coach when he was subbed off. 

https://www.nottinghamforest.news/2022/07/26/nottingham-forest-player-ratings-against-notts-county/

https://www.nottinghampost.com/sport/football/football-news/notts-county-v-nottingham-forest-7382321

Your opinion of a player is likely influenced on your personal bias as a fan.  This article doesn't suggest he played as poorly as you're suggesting.

Edited by prairiecanuck

7 minutes ago, prairiecanuck said:

https://www.nottinghamforest.news/2022/07/26/nottingham-forest-player-ratings-against-notts-county/

https://www.nottinghampost.com/sport/football/football-news/notts-county-v-nottingham-forest-7382321

Your opinion of a player is likely influenced on your personal bias as a fan.  This article doesn't suggest he played as poorly as you're suggesting.

I’m just going on what I’ve heard. FWIW the first article mentions he’s struggling amid low playing time and he’ll probably be out on loan soon.

Everything coming from the press since the start of pre-season has been that he is going out on loan.  It would make sense that Forest would play him in pre-season to put a value on him as an asset for perhaps a future sell / loan-with-buy option. They signed 4 players in his positions (LB/RB)… he’s not in their plans.  The sooner he gets to go, the better.

Edited by TOcanadafan

On 7/29/2022 at 7:47 AM, InglewoodJack said:

I’m just going on what I’ve heard. FWIW the first article mentions he’s struggling amid low playing time and he’ll probably be out on loan soon.

struggling to find playing time, not necessarily struggling while on the pitch and it's been speculated he goes out on loan for some time now.  We'll find out over the next few weeks what's going to happen.

21 hours ago, TOcanadafan said:

Everything coming from the press since the start of pre-season has been that he is going out on loan.  It would make sense that Forest would play him in pre-season to put a value on him as an asset for perhaps a future sell / loan-with-buy option. They signed 4 players in his positions (LB/RB)… he’s not in their plans.  The sooner he gets to go, the better.

Unfortunately Richards is hurt.  They are unlikely to loan Richie out until closer to the deadline.  They aren't going to risk having a player or 2 more go down and then be scrambling.  What's best for Richie isn't the priority..lol.