Richmond "Richie" Laryea

Dub Narcotic

2 hours ago, Cicero said:

They are quick, and it's good to see Richie out training, though if a move is in store, be nicer for it to happen sooner than later. As to the quickness, I've observed that in English football they always keep a tight camera shot. Tighter than most other country's typical productions. It requires more skilled camera work, but it also gives the feeling of speed and a heightened sense of action. The superior production values are probably responsible for many people's overrating of Championship and lower tier Premier League teams. They know how to bring in the revenue though.  

Interesting take. 

I've always watched games on TV and thought the game was "fast"...but then when I've watched in person - it's even faster. Guys don't have as much time on the ball as you think they do from watching on TV. IMO.

16 hours ago, The Real Marc said:

I find it a weird move to leave Reading to sign a four-year contract with Bayern, just to leave a year later for a promoted team like Forest. A waste of an opportunity, no?

Might not have settled in Germany?

Might not have lived up to the hype when he got to Bayern too. He was only a bit part player and at 24 they could probably see better younger options to replace him with and his might have been his best move. 

You would have to think he would he a bit gutted returning like this though. 

7 hours ago, toontownman said:

Might not have settled in Germany?

Might not have lived up to the hype when he got to Bayern too. He was only a bit part player and at 24 they could probably see better younger options to replace him with and his might have been his best move. 

You would have to think he would he a bit gutted returning like this though. 

He actually did more than ok for Bayern when I saw him, but he was clearly not an Alphonso Davies replacement.  Bayern under Nagelsmann had Phonzie basically operating as a second left winger, but jetting back on defense.  Omar Richards couldn't quite do that (no one can) so Nagelsmann really didn't use him much, even when Phonzie was out with his myocarditis.  

Rumour has it that he really enjoyed the team though (pics of him out bowling with Davies, etc.).  But he was just not quite what Nagelsmann wanted.  I myself would put him at that cusp - not good enough to be a starter on a top Big 5 team, but good enough to be one on mid-lower team, or a top second tier (Championship) team.  Of course I think Richie is there too.

3 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

Dallas and Toronto are interested per the athletic, but so are a lot of European teams. They made a big thing about Laryea moving his family to England when he came to Nottingham, so it would be pretty disappointing if after a year he calls it a day and moves to like Dallas. 

Not even a year. Disappointing beyond words. But Richie will be OK. One thing, though. I think I'm done with watching our guys go to England and get benched. I have had it with the apparent disrespect for Canadian players. 

Where do we favor Laryea to go on loan? Netherlands and Belgium he could potentially latch onto a European team. Maybe not Ajax, PSV or Club Brugge (despite our calls for the trifecta), but perhaps Feyenoord, Anderlecht, Genk, etc.? I don't know what the fullback situation is at any of those clubs, nor do I even know if they'll all be involved in Europe (too lazy to check), but these teams are typically involved in the Europa league, if not Champions League. 

The alternative seems to be the Championship. It may get him better adjusted to the English game, and his parent club are obviously an English team, so arguably that best prepares him for success at Forest, who may go right back down. If has a successful season-long loan in that division, Forest will have a player they can depend on to plug right into the line up. I think he's already dependable at that level, actually, but that's another story. Seems like they want more data (or maybe Cooper hates Canada).

The other thing about the Championship is the sheer number of games he could play. Laryea is kind of light on professional games for his age, just over 150 in all competitions. Larin, for example, is the same age and is approaching 240. They play 48 game seasons in the Championship, I think, so it'd be an opportunity to really pad his stats if he can go somewhere and start.

At the top clubs in Belgium and Netherlands he probably is a rotational player. At a mid-level club he could start but would arguably not be surrounded with the level of players we'd like. Larin was the same, but as a forward I think it is different because you can score and point to that. Laryea is not a goal scorer. 

Edited by Obinna

11 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Where do we favor Laryea to go on loan?

My personal choice would be a Championship team who would go on to knock out NF in the FA Cup, but I'm assuming Richie wouldn't be allowed to play against his parent club. Still, after moving his young family to England, that would be ideal for him. Failing that one of the better teams in Belgium or Holland would be fine with me, at least it is in shouting distance across the channel.

Dare I suggest that Lille could use him? 😉

18 minutes ago, Obinna said:

The other thing about the Championship is the sheer number of games he could play. Laryea is kind of light on professional games for his age, just over 150 in all competitions. Larin, for example, is the same age and is approaching 240. They play 48 game seasons in the Championship, I think, so it'd be an opportunity to really pad his stats if he can go somewhere and start.

That'd be an interesting study: Does development trajectory correlate more with age or games played? If the latter, Richie ought to seem more attractive than he may based on his age. Wherever he goes, I just want him to be playing regularly, but preferably a team that is actually competing for something, not just playing out the season. 

6 hours ago, Cicero said:

Wherever he goes, I just want him to be playing regularly, but preferably a team that is actually competing for something, not just playing out the season. 

Yes. For that reason, I wouldn't mind seeing him at one of the clubs @Obinna mentioned. And honestly, I don't care who's supposedly ahead of him. He could be the No. 1 option at his position. 

Edit: I hardly think anyone would scoff at a loan to Feyenoord. 

Edited by DeRo_Is_King

I'm leaning towards him insisting on staying at Forest. I find it odd he has such character on the pitch but seems so meek off it. Just tell a reporter "I'm good enough to start for this team and just need a chance", and go from there. 

Isn't that what everyone here believes? So why the cowering because his douche coach is being stubborn? 

15 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I'm leaning towards him insisting on staying at Forest. I find it odd he has such character on the pitch but seems so meek off it. Just tell a reporter "I'm good enough to start for this team and just need a chance", and go from there. 

Isn't that what everyone here believes? So why the cowering because his douche coach is being stubborn? 

Staying at Forest is ideal, especially if he is going to be starting regularly. Unfortunately, there are reports indicating he will be loaned out. 

Edit: To clarify, I don't know if Laryea is cowering. Maybe I missed something he said. 

Edited by DeRo_Is_King

43 minutes ago, DeRo_Is_King said:

Staying at Forest is ideal, especially if he is going to be starting regularly. Unfortunately, there are reports indicating he will be loaned out. 

Edit: To clarify, I don't know if Laryea is cowering. Maybe I missed something he said. 

Well I've followed club football enough to have seen a few variations. 

First, I have never in my life seen a club decree a player was to be loaned out. In fact, contractually, it cannot be done without the consent of a player with a valid contract. Usually a club politely attempts to convince a player it is in his best interests, but it is not something ever done without consultation.

Second, I have also seen many players refuse a loan. Usually one or a few on each club every year. Often because they prefer to train and prove themselves to the coach and the fans. Often this works, frequently it does not.

Third, only rarely is a player frozen out if they do not accept a loan, because the team is responsible for a salary and the value of the player. It is counterproductive to not consider him for the bench, at least, and for play, and then on top of that waste the investment by devaluing him.

Finally, it used to be that a player could be sent to train separately, but most league players associations, as well as core labour law, have argued or (in the latter case) ruled against this. I recall this precedent being set in a case that Amunike the Nigerian brought against FCB for not allowing him to train with the group (after a long injury). He won and he was right too. We just experienced this with Dembele, who refused to renew his contract in January and many dumb fans wanted to freeze him out for "disrespecting" the club. Xavi argued differently, saying everyone on his roster was potentially useful and he was not going to ostracize anyone.

This is now in most labour codes, as well, though informally it might also be understood as a form of mobbing. The principle is that someone employed to do a job cannot be denied that right, or forced into a situation where they are being forced to fail or subject to demeaning treatment. That is in labour law if you want to push it.

Now I understand that in England they can send a player to the u-23s, if they are young enough, but in other countries first team contracts rule out the possibility of being sent down to a B team. Many leagues in fact prohibit the demotion of a first team player: he can train separately if injured, but if not cannot get minutes on a B team to stay sharp in function of the sort of 1st team contract he has. 

Laryea insisting he wants to stay to prove his worth and gain the trust of the coach would not be considered an affront. As it is standard, every year players do this. Normally through their agents of course, but often with their own public statements as well. If a club interprets that any differently it's a rubbish organisation. Laryea has not obligation to accept a loan.

55 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

First, I have never in my life seen a club decree a player was to be loaned out. In fact, contractually, it cannot be done without the consent of a player with a valid contract. Usually a club politely attempts to convince a player it is in his best interests, but it is not something ever done without consultation.

Second, I have also seen many players refuse a loan. Usually one or a few on each club every year. Often because they prefer to train and prove themselves to the coach and the fans. Often this works, frequently it does not.

Third, only rarely is a player frozen out if they do not accept a loan, because the team is responsible for a salary and the value of the player. It is counterproductive to not consider him for the bench, at least, and for play, and then on top of that waste the investment by devaluing him.

Finally, it used to be that a player could be sent to train separately, but most league players associations, as well as core labour law, have argued or (in the latter case) ruled against this. I recall this precedent being set in a case that Amunike the Nigerian brought against FCB for not allowing him to train with the group (after a long injury). He won and he was right too. We just experienced this with Dembele, who refused to renew his contract in January and many dumb fans wanted to freeze him out for "disrespecting" the club. Xavi argued differently, saying everyone on his roster was potentially useful and he was not going to ostracize anyone.

This is now in most labour codes, as well, though informally it might also be understood as a form of mobbing. The principle is that someone employed to do a job cannot be denied that right, or forced into a situation where they are being forced to fail or subject to demeaning treatment. That is in labour law if you want to push it.

Now I understand that in England they can send a player to the u-23s, if they are young enough, but in other countries first team contracts rule out the possibility of being sent down to a B team. Many leagues in fact prohibit the demotion of a first team player: he can train separately if injured, but if not cannot get minutes on a B team to stay sharp in function of the sort of 1st team contract he has. 

Laryea insisting he wants to stay to prove his worth and gain the trust of the coach would not be considered an affront. As it is standard, every year players do this. Normally through their agents of course, but often with their own public statements as well. If a club interprets that any differently it's a rubbish organisation. Laryea has not obligation to accept a loan.

Very unlikely Laryea is going to play at all for Forest in the premiership. Hard to argue it wouldn’t be in his best interests to find a place to play especially because he’s going to be starting for us at RB in the World Cup. 

3 hours ago, ECW said:

Very unlikely Laryea is going to play at all for Forest in the premiership. Hard to argue it wouldn’t be in his best interests to find a place to play especially because he’s going to be starting for us at RB in the World Cup. 

Agreed.  No World Cup and maybe he stays and fights for a position.  With the World Cup, he needs to play and a loan to Championship side, Belgium or Holland makes sense for everyone (NF, him, Canada and the side getting a motivated player).

5 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I understand he technically has a right to participate, but the club is not forced to start him regardless of whether that devalues their investment. Unfortunately, this just happened, as Laryea played very little for Forest last season. 

He could refuse a loan, but there's no guarantee he will start -- even if all of us think he should. Ultimately, it's up to the coach.

10 hours ago, DeRo_Is_King said:

I understand he technically has a right to participate, but the club is not forced to start him regardless of whether that devalues their investment. Unfortunately, this just happened, as Laryea played very little for Forest last season. 

He could refuse a loan, but there's no guarantee he will start -- even if all of us think he should. Ultimately, it's up to the coach.

You are perfectly correct, the coach does not have to play him, true.

Normally however, a player who does pre-season with a club has a far better chance of getting into a mix than a player coming in January.

Also: they are likely to have poor season and be threatened with going down. Even by mid to late September there could be hand-wringing.

Which means you are going to rotate your squad to shake things up. A team already humming in Championship and fighting for promotion is one thing. A team wallowing near the bottom of the table, with the manager seeing the club and fans getting nervous with what he is doing, would likely look for options off the bench. 

Relegation threatened teams are often stressed, have injuries, take more cards: all to be factored in.

Important consideration missed by almost everyone here: Championship had 3 subs last season, EPL has 5. They'll use them to save an away draw late, and they'll use them to snatch a home draw late.

It's my argument, but what I am really saying: I'd stay if I were in his shoes, as even in the short term I think he'll be playing in EPL.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

46 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

You are perfectly correct, the coach does not have to play him, true.

Normally however, a player who does pre-season with a club has a far better chance of getting into a mix than a player coming in January.

Also: they are likely to have poor season and be threatened with going down. Even by mid to late September there could be hand-wringing.

Which means you are going to rotate your squad to shake things up. A team already humming in Championship and fighting for promotion is one thing. A team wallowing near the bottom of the table, with the manager seeing the club and fans getting nervous with what he is doing, would likely look for options off the bench. 

Relegation threatened teams are often stressed, have injuries, take more cards: all to be factored in.

Important consideration missed by almost everyone here: Championship had 3 subs last season, EPL has 5. They'll use them to save an away draw late, and they'll use them to snatch a home draw late.

It's my argument, but what I am really saying: I'd stay if I were in his shoes, as even in the short term I think he'll be playing in EPL.

It's an interesting take. I suppose it's a high-risk, high-reward type of situation compared to going on loan in Belgium or Holland where he should have a better chance of getting minutes. 

How likely is this scenario:

1) NF loan Laryea out without really giving him serious consideration for their squad

2) Come November, NF are languishing in the bottom third of the Premier League table

3) Richie plays great at the World Cup (the highest level) and people take notice

4) NF recall Richie from his loan and immediately insert him into their starting XI 

...personally, I'd have a laugh.

31 minutes ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

How likely is this scenario:

1) NF loan Laryea out without really giving him serious consideration for their squad

2) Come November, NF are languishing in the bottom third of the Premier League table

3) Richie plays great at the World Cup (the highest level) and people take notice

4) NF recall Richie from his loan and immediately insert him into their starting XI 

...personally, I'd have a laugh.

Honestly not that unrealistic. We know what he is capable of and the supporters had favorable reviews of him when he did play. The coaching staff was the ones that didn't give him the tim le of day. I have no doubt at some point this world cup he will have a moment that gets people out of their seats. Maybe not a man of the match performance, but something that makes me people give him a second look. At that point the NF supporters will be thrilled they already own him and start asking for a recall.