Richmond "Richie" Laryea

Dub Narcotic

Once they went up, I figured there was no way he was going to get a chance. Not getting any playing time in the Championship, regardless of their momentum etc, but then getting a chance in the Premiership never made any sense to me. So at this point is it snobbery? Only indirectly. His earlier lack of playing time I think was at least partially a result of anti-Can/USA bias. You hear it every time a Brit manager talks about North Americans. But after watching a few NF games, they did seem to play a very different style than both Canada and TFC.

In the games I watched there was very little ball recycling from the wings, lots of turnovers in the opposition's third. They had a kind of frenetic, go for the shot once you're within forty yards approach, attack the defender and passing be damned. But I didn't watch many games, so I don't know if that was generally their style. That's probably why Cooper loved Spence so much, as that seems to be his game. I'm really skeptical that Spence will succeed at a higher level. NF management seem to be as well as they're unwilling to fork over near 20 million for him, but were willing to offer 17 million for Kabore.

1 hour ago, Macktruck said:

A bit of a different perspective but honestly do we really think this about MLS/Canada snobbery?

He has been there since January? They have had a lot of time to judge his talent and fit into their system. I mean he trains there everyday. The coaches see him everyday and judge him based on those performance. Yes he has been amazing for Canada but he didn't he have a bit of a mixed year at TFC before the transfer?

Maybe there is something we aren't seeing? Something in training? 

What would be the reason for not giving him a try? It doesn't make sense financially..he's there they are paying him. If he's good enough you play. I believe that. I'm not naive enough to believe politics play don't play a part. Just saying.

And if he's not playing he needs to march into the managers office and ask what he needs to do to play.  

I think we naturally overrate players and underestimate how much better you need to be to crack a team in a new league, mid season. You see this in basketball a lot- a guy absolutely kills it in Spain or Russia, gets an NBA deal and plays 4 minutes because he can’t crack the lineup. Talent is one factor, sure, but Forrest made a massive run for promotion around the time they started Laryea, so there was no reason for them to risk a new player when their guys were playing well. And now, there’s no risk playing a guy who’s never played English football at any level, let alone any top European soccer when you’re now an attractive destination for players who want to make the jump to England. I think the Laryea move was a move of abundance ie if everyone gets injured, at least your worst case scenario is Richie Laryea who is an excellent “end of bench” option.

I think the fact that he’s rumoured for a transfer to the championship division indicates that teams at the level of last year’s forest are interested in him, it’s just hard to crack a team mid season and harder to crack a team in the prem given the circumstances.

Semi-related news - Bayern's Omar Richards (left back) now confirmed to be transferred to Forest:

https://www.bavarianfootballworks.com/2022/7/5/23194727/omar-richards-bayern-munich-royal-antwerp

So, less competition for Davies (not that there ever was any) and now even less possibility for Laryea's future at Forest.  Hope he finds a home soon.

I believe Richie is one of those guys that just doesn't impress in training but then put him in a game and magic happens. You can't simulate some things in training (Kinda like practicing PK's). Played with a guy once that was very average in training and scrimmages but in games he was a goal scoring machine.

19 hours ago, johnyb said:

I believe Richie is one of those guys that just doesn't impress in training but then put him in a game and magic happens. You can't simulate some things in training (Kinda like practicing PK's). Played with a guy once that was very average in training and scrimmages but in games he was a goal scoring machine.

You're bang on.  Training just isn't the same as a game.  Richie needs the opportunity to show what he can do.  He's not even getting the opportunities in friendlies to show what he can do.  He needs to be loaned out ASAP.  His playing time won't be guaranteed where ever he goes.  He needs to get in some friendlies with his new loan club to show his new gaffer what he's got. 

On 7/8/2022 at 2:27 PM, Cicero said:

In the games I watched there was very little ball recycling from the wings, lots of turnovers in the opposition's third. They had a kind of frenetic, go for the shot once you're within forty yards approach, attack the defender and passing be damned. 

In a nutshell, this too has been my observation about English soccer outside of the EPL for a long as I recall.  That why I have never been keen in seeing our players play in that environment and then come back to play international soccer for Canada. 

Concacaf (or international soccer) is just not like that.  You have to maintain possession, be patient with your chances, save your energy because you are usually playing in hot and humid climates,  and avoid getting into situations where there is a lot of 50-50 balls because you have no idea how the CONCACAF refs will call those challenges you make on those 50-50 balls.  

EDIT.:  I should add,   I still would have thought that Laryea would do well in this kind of environment.  He has shown that he is capable creating chances (for himself or for others) from his runs down the flank and he was able to beat defenders one on one.   

Edited by Free kick

On 7/8/2022 at 4:58 PM, GasPed said:

Semi-related news - Bayern's Omar Richards (left back) now confirmed to be transferred to Forest:

https://www.bavarianfootballworks.com/2022/7/5/23194727/omar-richards-bayern-munich-royal-antwerp

So, less competition for Davies (not that there ever was any) and now even less possibility for Laryea's future at Forest.  Hope he finds a home soon.

It’s silly NFFC is paying $10M for Omar Richards, but this is the ridiculousness of Prem League $$$.  He wasn’t that good for Bayern, but shows you what it means if you’re English (and in the case of Richie, if you’re from Canada).

8 hours ago, footballfreak said:

No idea if there’s substance behind it, but a Preston North End fan seemed convinced on twitter that Laryea would be joining them once one of Forest’s transfer targets got signed (can’t remember who). 

They’ve signed 3 in the RB/LB position so let’s giddy-up. 

9 hours ago, footballfreak said:

No idea if there’s substance behind it, but a Preston North End fan seemed convinced on twitter that Laryea would be joining them once one of Forest’s transfer targets got signed (can’t remember who). 

I found a Preston North End forum where a ton of people were treating the Laryea loan to them a done deal once nico Williams (?) gets to Nottingham. I saw some mentions of a credible source backing this, but couldn’t find anything 

5 hours ago, Güerito said:

Apparently all Forest's national team players (Brennan, McKenna, & Laryea) were given a longer break and are all expected to join the group today. So technically there's still a chance to impress.

Jesus, I had to read this a couple times to understand what was happening..

Jimmy Brennan?! Kevin McKenna??

20 hours ago, TOcanadafan said:

It’s silly NFFC is paying $10M for Omar Richards, but this is the ridiculousness of Prem League $$$.  He wasn’t that good for Bayern, but shows you what it means if you’re English (and in the case of Richie, if you’re from Canada).

I watch Bayern a fair amount, and I have to say Omar Richards is basically a dead ringer for Sam Adekugbe (who coincidentally also played for a Championship side that got promoted but didn't take him along).  He's good (fast, skilled, attack-minded), but I would never say he's a clear step above Richie.  Hopefully this will be proven out at training camp.

14 hours ago, DeRo_Is_King said:

Good to see him out there and love the ground-level view. It helps to show how quick these guys are. 

They are quick, and it's good to see Richie out training, though if a move is in store, be nicer for it to happen sooner than later. As to the quickness, I've observed that in English football they always keep a tight camera shot. Tighter than most other country's typical productions. It requires more skilled camera work, but it also gives the feeling of speed and a heightened sense of action. The superior production values are probably responsible for many people's overrating of Championship and lower tier Premier League teams. They know how to bring in the revenue though.