Richmond "Richie" Laryea

Dub Narcotic

Something that maybe biases me a bit against Forest is that I just barely remember when they were last in the Premier League. And it makes me feel old. 

Marlon Harewood (he who pretended to be an interior designer to pick up women and then became one for real, look it up) played for them in their last year up and then went on to play for West Ham. 

1 hour ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Something that maybe biases me a bit against Forest is that I just barely remember when they were last in the Premier League. And it makes me feel old. 

Marlon Harewood (he who pretended to be an interior designer to pick up women and then became one for real, look it up) played for them in their last year up and then went on to play for West Ham. 

This is hilarious.  I remember Marlon Harewood very well when he was at Forest; decent striker but probably a better player.  Ha Ha!

2 hours ago, shortofbrillant said:

Forest has to replace 7 squad contributors for next year (5 loans, 2 expiring contracts). How much money can Forest afford to spend on two fullbacks when they are losing a lot else where? 

We shall see how it all unfolds, but Laryea may not be in that bad of a spot at Forest

It will be very interesting to see what they do. Garner, Spence, and Zinckernagel were all penciled in starters and big contributors.

Wasn't the idea that Richie was brought in to play left wing back? I thought I remember that he was promised playing time which was a big reason for choosing Nottm Forest (from Matthew Scianitti). I went through the line ups of Forest and they initially played a back four before going to wing backs. Osei-Tutu started the first two games and got injured, then Bong started two, then Lowe had a run of games before he got injured. Lowe (who is also a loanee) didn't come back till after the new year, Osei-Tutu was injured again, and Bong was terrible (read that part on Forest forums) which pushed Colback into the left back/wing back role in December. Colback is a central midfielder by trade so my guess as to what happened is he was put there as a stop gap, but played well and the team went on that crazy run so Richie never got a sniff.

I know we had a Forest fan or two register here after Richie was signed, so they can correct any errors I made in the above -- I was just going based off transfermarkt line ups and made some assumptions.

Of course, if the plan was to play left wing back this season then that plan is done and Forest's right wing back is gone while the left one remains...

2 hours ago, JamboAl said:

This is hilarious.  I remember Marlon Harewood very well when he was at Forest; decent striker but probably a better player.  Ha Ha!

Really big part of getting us promoted in the mid 2000s, the first promotion I was really able to follow from Canada.

On Forest and Laryea, the left side does look pretty open.

Bong is old and out of contract.

Colback is on the wrong side of 30 since he last played in the Premier League and he wasn't great then playing in his proper position.  Will get blown past if they play him outside.

I know Forest have talked about being confident in keeping some of their loanees, not sure if Max Lowe would be one, given his injuries.

Still think a lot rides on Spence returning on the other side.

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

One thing to also consider is the fact that Forrest’s manager remarked that Richie moved his whole family to England for this move and on a personal level seems to be completely bought in to trying to make it work in England. Obviously football is heartless and that means nothing, but I would imagine that a move back to MLS or to give it a go in another country is probably the worst case scenarios at this point. I think to make such a permanent move, he would have to be aware that this is a long term play and that he’ll get his shot next season, because you don’t uproot your entire family and move across the world for six months of bench duties only to give up and go elsewhere. 

9 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

Random question,  but why disbt Middelsborough recall Spence at some point this year?

I think it's a good question, especially after Warnock was sacked and Wilder took over. I wondered to myself why Boro loaned a top tier player to a division rival. Publicly, Wilder said that they wouldn't recall anyone as that the agreements are for a year, but part of the decision was surely because Boro have a good RWB of their own (Isaiah Jones, won player of the month for December). I also read a rumour that the Boro players/staff were polled about recalling Spence and none of them said bring him back...

22 minutes ago, El Diego said:

I think it's a good question, especially after Warnock was sacked and Wilder took over. I wondered to myself why Boro loaned a top tier player to a division rival. Publicly, Wilder said that they wouldn't recall anyone as that the agreements are for a year, but part of the decision was surely because Boro have a good RWB of their own (Isaiah Jones, won player of the month for December). I also read a rumour that the Boro players/staff were polled about recalling Spence and none of them said bring him back...

Not too surprised.  Judging by one match I saw him play, he comes off as a hot-head putting himself before the team, quite Balotelliesque.   I know nothing about his relationship with Warnock, but that tweet also shows a serious lack of class and respect, unless I'm missing some info or inside joke.

Using "Colin" would show it's a joke.  Warnock has acknowledge it and laughed about it a number of times.  Not using it  would probably be evidence that there is real bad blood there.

I disliked Warnock for years because he was the manager during Sheffield United's initial response to Tevezgate but he seems like the good kind of old-school dinosaur. 

Reports now that the Forest owner is getting scrutinized by the Premier League.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-10869073/Premier-League-set-probe-Nottingham-Forest-owner-Evangelos-Marinakis-clubs-promotion.html

This is glossed over but Marinakis is by far the shadiest character the Premier League has ever seen.  Heroin trafficking by the ton, a list of assassinations a mile long, armed robbery, match fixing.  He was acquitted in Greece, mainly because all of the witnesses conveniently turned up dead.

Bond writers would look at this guy and think "no, that's not plausible for a villain".  

https://newrepublic.com/article/159252/noor-one-vampire-ship-heroin-turkey-greece-corruption-scandal

Edited by CanadianSoccerFan

To get back on track - my thoughts on watching another year of Lille.

“Me miserable! Which way shall I fly
Infinite wrath and infinite despair?
Which way I fly is hell; myself am hell;
And in the lowest deep a lower deep,
Still threat'ning to devour me, opens wide,
To which the hell I suffer seems a heaven.”
― John Milton, Paradise Lost

12 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

To get back on track - my thoughts on watching another year of Lille.

“Me miserable! Which way shall I fly
Infinite wrath and infinite despair?
Which way I fly is hell; myself am hell;
And in the lowest deep a lower deep,
Still threat'ning to devour me, opens wide,
To which the hell I suffer seems a heaven.”
― John Milton, Paradise Lost

Or this one from Heaven Can Wait:

"This isn't going to work. You're playing football with a bunch of butlers." 

14 hours ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

Reports now that the Forest owner is getting scrutinized by the Premier League.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-10869073/Premier-League-set-probe-Nottingham-Forest-owner-Evangelos-Marinakis-clubs-promotion.html

This is glossed over but Marinakis is by far the shadiest character the Premier League has ever seen.  Heroin trafficking by the ton, a list of assassinations a mile long, armed robbery, match fixing.  He was acquitted in Greece, mainly because all of the witnesses conveniently turned up dead.

Bond writers would look at this guy and think "no, that's not plausible for a villain".  

https://newrepublic.com/article/159252/noor-one-vampire-ship-heroin-turkey-greece-corruption-scandal

And Forest conveniently gets a referee who denies two clear penalties to Huddersfield with more than £100M on the line. Not shady at all.

John Moss is apparently a shit ref, so Hanlon’s razor may apply here, but match fixing would be peanuts compared to the nastiness this guy Marinakis is involved with.

3 minutes ago, footballfreak said:

And Forest conveniently gets a referee who denies two clear penalties to Huddersfield with more than £100M on the line. Not shady at all.

John Moss is apparently a shit ref, so Hanlon’s razor may apply here, but match fixing would be peanuts compared to the nastiness this guy Marinakis is involved with.

I saw the dive from the Huddersfield striker, but which is the other you are referring to?

Just now, Obinna said:

I saw the dive from the Huddersfield striker, but which is the other you are referring to?

There was a challenge like 5-10 minutes later in the outer corner of the box, the Forest player clumsily going through the back of the Huddersfield player.

Personally I thought both were PKs, with the second incident being more of a foul than the first one, but I don't think not calling them was so egregious that match fixing should be suspected.